Racin' With Face

Page 4 of 75<1234567>Last »
September 17th, 2013 at 7:29:41 AM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61
This Dynamat is going to be the death of me.

Ash was away at her family's, so I figured I'd save the "fun" tasks for her and started on the Dynamat myself. For 4 straight hours I peeled without stopping once even to go to the bathroom. I sat in the driver's seat for 4 hours...and haven't even completed the roof >< I got all the foil and most of the tar off, but much of the tar remains and needs to be scraped off. 4 hours and it hardly made a dent, and my neck is completely blown out (feels just like whiplash some two days later). We still have the entire rear and all the floors left to go... not to mention the little scraps left on the doors and roof...

I'm not sure if heating it would help, as I almost think it would just make it more messy. If any of y'all can think of a way to dissolve what I assume is petroleum based adhesive, I'm all ears. I'd set it ablaze if I wasn't worried about it getting too hot and melting the body panels, but even so, I'm getting closer to doing just that with every passing day XD

Like Ash, my hands were completely shredded. I counted 116 cuts in total, because I have too much time on my hands. Using rubbing alcohol to dissolve the tar off my hands was an interesting experience, let me tell you. I can't even find a way to accurately describe it, as it felt like nothing I'd even known. But hey, that's 16 more square feet that's in the past, 16 square feet closer to being done with it for good. 16 down... 60 more to go...

With the Dynamat nightmare fresh in my head, my hands shredded, and my neck blown out, I decided to do some other stuff the following day. I got some rebar to make some flags for the rear of my trailer so I stop backing into shit and breaking my taillights. After a little confusion with the amperage, I got my first solo welding project done and done clean. Once my neck is better, I'll install the new safety chains I bought to replace the ones I dragged and wore through (XD) and the trailer will be completely set.

I finished the day doing light work, mostly just getting the rear bumper ready for paint and installed so I can bondo up the rear fenders. About the time I got the sanding done, Ash returned from the doctors (where she was cleared for all but the most strenuous activity) and began punching out the rest of the rear lights. I got the bumper attached and welded in "just so", so it has some give in case I get tapped and won't spin me, but will probably let go and fall off completely if I take a shunt hard enough to spin me, thereby causing a caution and allowing me to rejoin the field.

With the bumper installed and the lights punched out, Ash reattached the front fenders and we called it a day. It looks like a car again. At this point, the exterior work is nearing half completion...where it will unfortunately have to stay until all the goddamn Dynamat is gone ><

God, I hate that suff =(

Edit: I banged out some more when I got home. I began bondo'ing the rear and got the whole driver's side and roof sanded. That's it for now, as I leave in... 7 HOURS for Wyoming. Trip report to come, as well as (hopefully) a Fishing With Face update.

Shit! I gotta go pack!

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 17th, 2013 at 10:26:53 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
I had to go look up what this stuff was... interesting... seems you are not alone at cursing the world for having to remove it. There's lots of posts with people wanting to get it off again. Here's one quick video of someone using a sonic spatula : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAgTWd-YdAk
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
September 17th, 2013 at 3:36:09 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Welcome to the thread, TheCesspit =)

And Oh My God. I need both of those apparatus tout de suite. I never, ever buy "one use" tools, and those would certainly be just that... but I think I will make an exception in this case. See the added pics above for just how much I have to go, and how much of a mess my "completed" areas are.

One correction - At the end of the clip, dude says "Don't put this stuff anywhere you don't want it to be forever", or something to that effect. It should read "Don't put this stuff anywhere." Period, end of clip.
September 18th, 2013 at 4:48:25 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 48
What about carbon dioxide pellets fired by an air gun... the pellets impinge on the substance and immediately sublimate, that is go from solid to gas. This causes a tiny little sonic boom that lifts things off quite nicely. Word of warning: In order not to diminish Ashley's future enjoyment, wear a thick leather apron over vital areas.
September 18th, 2013 at 4:58:48 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 117
Quote: Face
At the end of the clip, dude says "Don't put this stuff anywhere you don't want it to be forever", or something to that effect. It should read "Don't put this stuff anywhere." Period, end of clip.

Sounds like we should put the stuff on prison cell walls.
No one has ever proven I am not God.
October 1st, 2013 at 7:30:44 AM permalink
Face
Administrator
Well, my neck remained blown out for most of my Wyoming trip. Dunno what I did to it, but it was bad. But it just *poof* and fixed itself the third day there, and despite the long flight and late arrival, I got back to work almost as soon as I got back home.

I started light, still scared of the Dynamat. I ground off the bunk safety chain from the trailer and welded on the new one, completing all the trailer work and getting it off the to-do list. The grinding took longer than expected, so I only had time to slap some bondo on the rear fender and sand it before I packed it in for the night.

With so much dependant on getting the Dynamat out, there wasn't much to do. But some workplace iritations led me to the next job - windows. I had half planned to do it nicely and use a heat gun to melt the adhesive and remove them whole. Less clean up, and maybe I could flip them for a few bucks. Well, the heat gun was taking too long, and I'm not a patient man.

I got my favorite tool - the hammer. The 16oz carpenter's hammer bounced right off. Flipped it to claw side...booooing! Bounced right off. I got out my favorite of my favorite tools, the Problem Solver, a 3 pound steel mallet. Bounced right off. "You're shitting me" I cursed to myself. I got out a chisel, put it against the window, and bashed it with the Problem Solver. BOOOIIING! WTF is going on? I tossed them to the ground and fetched a crowbar. BOOOIIING! Spun it to claw side. BOOOIIING!

My 10lb pickaxe finally did the trick. A pickaxe! Christ on a cracker. I blasted out all the windows save the windshield, and made a hell of a mess. The windows themselves were easy enough to keep contained, but the adhesive obviously held a lot of the glass in place. The little tempered glass nuggets weren't bad, but tempered glass gives off a lot of chips and dust. It's great that it doesn't shatter into fatal shards, but those chips and dust are nasty Using a hammer and chisel to shave off the adhesive sent them everywhere. Into my gloves, into my shoes, down my shirt, into my hair, eyebrows... I was shredded, again. Most of it was just little sliver pricks inside my elbows or the webs of my fingers, but washing my hair sliced my scalp all to hell. Lesson learned.

With the windows out, the sharp edges of the body joints were exposed. Since little kids love race cars and there will be plenty climbing in, on and around it, I taught Ash how to bondo and had her bondo in the window gaps. Showed her once how to mix, apply, spread and sand, and a few hours and a dust cloud later, they look good as hell. Real proud of that girl =) (On the left, the rear window, edges exposed. On the right, the rear window that Ash bondo'd smooth)

While she was doing that, I started fabbing some panels for the fenders. The brackets had all rotted out, leaving the fender attached just under the hood and left them floppy as hell. I managed to do a hell of a job on the panels, but the damned welding is killing me. I just can't get it cold enough for the thin metal, and I kept burning straight holes through the damned thing. Even the 40amp setting was blasting right through and setting shit on fire. I eventually managed to go slow enough to tack it into place, and will most likely just bondo the damn thing in place.

Just to complete the agravation trifecta, my desire to finally drive the damn thing as well as my laziness in not wanting to vacuum all the sanded paint and bondo resulted in me taking it for a spin. I figured I'd rip it up the road, see how fast it really was, and at the same time blow out all the dust in one shot. A good idea all around... if I had remembered to latch the hood first >< I got it up to 70, and WHAM!!!! The blasted thing flies up and smashes the windshield and roof. With no interior or windows, it was loud as hell, not to mention I'm doing 70 looking at a wall of black and green. FML. Luckily, the windshield was fine or that would've been a $400 mistake. But it hit so hard it kind of turned the hood inside out, and the damn thing wouldn't latch anymore. I turned around and limped home at 20mph. Once home, a rubber mallet and bubbling anger returned it to almost original condition, but the hinges were bent enough that it'll never latch again. I can't say that I care, because it'll be held in place by hood pins anyway. Mostly, I was just sorry I never got to see how fast it really was =p

So, the whole thing is sanded, and with just a touch of bondo left to go, the exterior is nearly complete save for paint and sponsor decals. Ash's uncle has a sonic spatula which we'll get this week, and we'll be back on the Dynamat, hopefully getting it out so we can get the cage and seat in. Dynamat, Cage, Paint, Engine. Those are the only "big" jobs left.

ID: Original: Adjusted: Actual:
Estimated Fires Set 0 0 11
October 6th, 2013 at 5:22:35 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Quote: TheCesspit
I had to go look up what this stuff was... interesting... seems you are not alone at cursing the world for having to remove it. There's lots of posts with people wanting to get it off again. Here's one quick video of someone using a sonic spatula : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAgTWd-YdAk

If you were any closer I'd kiss you. Seriously, though, if I ever hit it big time and find myself in the BC area, I owe you dinner, beers, Canucks game...all of the above and then some.

Ash picked up a vibrating spatula thing from her uncle, as they're $120 and I didn't want to buy a $120 one-use item. Holy shit...

It's no less tedious, but that stuff peels right off without breaking a sweat. I been pretty sick this week, unable to do much of anything, so I spent 20 hours this weekend working my ass off. The entire roof - done. The entire driver's side - done. The floor from the fire wall all the way to the trunk - done. I have the trunk itself and the passenger side wall to do, and the Dynamat is forever in my past. Thank you, thank you, thank you TheCesspit, for your random and priceless contribution! =D

In other news, I've got the rear fenders all but patched and bondo'd entirely. Probably one more application and 20 minutes of sanding and it'll be complete. A panel in the trunk that I though was plastic was actually glass so I bashed that out, spatula making effortless and bloodless work of the adhesive. I welded the front fender in place and began the bondo on its rough bits, and I welded in a panel in the firewall to patch where I assume the heater core used to be. I got the hood bent back to almost true, and installed some hood pins in, like, 30 minutes to make up for the broken latch. I've got maybe 3 more hours of Dynamat left, and the thing will be ready for seat and cage.

I also discovered that it has a Civic engine in it, and a turd one at that. I tracked down the Si (biggest) CRX engine already for $750, so that decision has been made and that part of the project only needs doing.

Best thing yet, not only have I found a zillion uses for that "one-time tool", Ash's uncle gave it to me to keep, for free!

Compressor and Tools $1,000 $850 $590
Trailer $5,000 $2,100 $1,000
Welder $800 $800 $300
Car $5,000 $2,000 $700
Spatula $120 $120 $0
Total $11,920 $5,870 $2,590
October 7th, 2013 at 10:46:36 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Face
If you were any closer I'd kiss you. Seriously, though, if I ever hit it big time and find myself in the BC area, I owe you dinner, beers, Canucks game...all of the above and then some.

No worries, your welcome, you can buy me a beer one day.

I was just more curious what this stuff was that seemed to be slowly sapping Face's will to live. I figured it had to be powerful stuff.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 16th, 2013 at 6:36:31 AM permalink
Face
Administrator
Quote: TheCesspit
I was just more curious what this stuff was that seemed to be slowly sapping Face's will to live. I figured it had to be powerful stuff.

Well I am very grateful for your curiosity, it saved me hours upon hours of misery and pain. And yes, it is quite powerful indeed.

Working on this car has gotten me behind in just about everything. Everyone's out trout fishing and I haven't even wet a line since Wyoming. Hell, my Wyoming TR is only half done, but I haven't had time to sit and write (it's coming, I promise). I haven't hardly played GTAV at all, save for when I was sick. I've even been missing the first periods of the Leafs games (who, BTW, are 6-1 and first in the NHL :)) because I've been working into the night almost every day. My personal hockey is about the only thing that doesn't get interupted, but even then I often suit up with grease on my hands and bondo dust still falling out of my hair. And I've been loving it! Mostly...

I got all the Dynamat out except for the stuff that's in the trunk depression where the spare wheel went. That's a non-issue; it'll come out for fire safety reasons eventually, but I've gotten to the point where it's out enough to begin actually building the car. The last thing I had to do to get to that building point was cut out all the wiring that had been covered, which I did after making sure nothing back there was critical. Yet still, immediately after snipping it, my car would no longer start.

It was dead. The electrics came on, I could hear the fuel pump engage, but turning the key to "start" did nothing whatsoever. WTF does the rear wiring have to do with the starter motor? I didn't know, and after working so hard and (absolutely surprisingly) doing everything perfectly the first time, breaking it at this point broke my spirit. I pushed it back into the garage, unable to work on it another minute.

That broken spirit lasted 12 hours.

The very next morning I hopped back in, ready to fix a system I didn't know how I broke and didn't understand how it worked. I stripped all 18 wires of that part of the harness and started trying to ground them to the body. Bupkis. I decided to just attempt to rewire the entire 18 wire harness back into itself, a job that looked to take anywhere from 8 hours to 7 lifetimes. But whatever... I've just felt so focused lately, and despite the fact I knew nothing, I knew I was going to figure it out.

45 minutes later, my car roared back to life.

All it was was two ground wires. Once I got them back together, all was fine. I peeled the harness apart, ditching the 16 wires I didn't need, and got the 2 I did hooked up solid and tucked away clean. With the wiring and the Dynamat gone, it was time to build.

I got the trunk welded up and nearly bondo'd smooth. I've been going over the body again, smoothing out the grooves the DA sanded into it so it looks nice. I tracked down all the material I need for the primary paint job (gloss black); even after the $19 HazMat delivery charge, I got it all for $87. Unbelievable. I'll spend maybe another $50 on the gun and filter, plus maybe $50 more for the secondary color (hot pink), and I'll get the entire car shot for under $200. I can't remember exactly what I budgeted, but I know it was at least $500. Things just keep coming up Milhouse =D

I've been in talks with a guy about a cage, which was probably gonna be the worst part of this all. Unlike the engine, of which a few million exist, cages are one-off deals for cars that aren't exactly race-common. CRX's are all over the SCCA and road courses, but it's kind of niche to race them on ovals. Most quotes for cages came in at $1,500 - $3,000 total, depending on whether you went mild steel or chrome-moly, and how good of a deal you get on labor. Well, I found one, and one which the guy is working with me to get it custom designed for my application and rule book. And you know how much this mess is gonna cost after modifications?...

$400 plus delivery!! And with Ash's dad's offer to do the installation, it'll get burned in place for the low-low price of $0. Killing it!

And! AND! The Sheriff has volunteered his time, energy, and tools to swap the motor with me. Granted, he's a MOPAR guy and probably won't be able to do jack about swapping the EFI, but he can do all the physical work of mechanical connections and save me hours of labor at $85 an hour, leaving me only a few pay-hours to get the EFI in.

The paint should be here today, the cage should be ordered today, I've been narrowing down the engine supplier,... I think I might take Friday off and go fishing =D

Welder $800 $800 $300
Car $5,000 $2,000 $700
Spatula $120 $120 $0
Paint Supplies $200 $200 $TBD
Roll Cage $1,500 $300 $TBD
Rims and Race Tires $200 $50 $TBD
Race Seat $400 $400 $TBD
5pt Harness $200 $200 $TBD
Window Net $40 $40 $TBD
Fire Suit and Helmet $1,200 $1,200 $TBD
Total $14,660 $8,260 $2,590+TBD

Estimated Fires Set 0 0 16
October 18th, 2013 at 4:36:03 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
If you want to make a little money racing, start with a lot of money.

Just had to repost that little reminder to myself.

I spent all day shopping as lack of parts is holding me back from just about everything. Other than bondo and sanding to make things a little nicer and neater, everything else is on hold. And it's been driving. Me. Crazy.

So, I got on the horn and have a cage on its way. Granted, I did my due diligence and spent days researching, but thanks to that, ordering it took all of 6 minutes. It looks like after the monstrous $130 in shipping fees, additional driver's side bars, and modifications to make them NASCAR-style, the entire thing will get here for about $550.

But I can't put in the cage until after I've put in the seat, so I managed to avoid the $500 jobs that I've been finding and picked one up, brand new, for $120 (say $150 after shipping) And a seat is kind of pointless without a harness, so I grabbed those up, too. $300 for some of those things, can you believe it? Damn seat and seat belts could cost more than the car itself. But thanks to the power of the internet, I snagged a 3", 5 point setup for $70.

That did it for the interior, until I remembered the window net. Again, I couldn't believe the hundreds of dollars some of those went for. Through extensive use of the Google-fu, I snagged mine, including all the required installation hardware, for $40.

Wheels, tires and an engine are pretty much all I've left to get. And all I've left to do... is everything XD

Welder $800 $800 $300
Car $5,000 $2,000 $700
Spatula $120 $120 $0
Paint Supplies $200 $200 $TBD
Roll Cage $1,500 $300 $550
Rims and Race Tires $200 $50 $TBD
Race Seat $400 $400 $120
5pt Harness $200 $200 $70
Window Net $40 $40 $40
Fire Suit and Helmet $1,200 $1,200 $TBD
Total $14,660 $8,260 $3,370+TBD

Estimated Fires Set 0 0 16
Page 4 of 75<1234567>Last »