Racin' With Face

October 18th, 2013 at 5:54:35 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 47
Don't forget the expense of that cheapest item that will surely make you win races... the decal on the back saying Student Driver.
October 18th, 2013 at 7:48:42 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61
Quote: Fleastiff
Don't forget the expense of that cheapest item that will surely make you win races... the decal on the back saying Student Driver.

Yes! XD

Please keep ideas like this coming. As of now I only have two sponsors with maybe a third on the way, but that will most definitely be it. I'll have a lot of space to get silly, which... c'mon. I gotta do.

The only idea I had, because I'm a nerd and have experience counterfeiting license plates, is to make a rear NY plate reading "GANDLF" with characters across the bumper reading "YOU! SHALL NOT! PASS!"

If anyone has any more ideas that are equal parts stupid and clever, send them my way. As long as I have room and it's PG-13, I'll throw it on =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 19th, 2013 at 7:28:45 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
OK, really need some help here, and I think there's just enough science nerds to help me out.

Axle nuts.

I've gotta get these bastards off not only because the axles need replacing, but because I can't remove the engine with them intact. But 23 years of NY corrosion seem to have made them one with the bolt, and separating them is a task that I have failed at times beyond count.

They come from the factory torqued at 132 lbs p/sqr". I've soaked it in PB for 14 hours now. I had the impact on it at about 90lbs p/sqr" for 30 minutes. I set it on fire (no torch as of yet). Nothing was doing.

I resorted to something that never "works" but always works, a breaker bar. I never break nuts free, I break them off, but that was good enough for me. And I bent it into a pretzel.

I got a bigger one and tried again. With the car on the ground for traction, I got about 500lbs p/sqr" on the sumbitch and I spun the tire (on the ground!), turned the engine over, and caused the car to climb the wheel chock all at once. I know, I know,... "hold the brakes on, dummy". Did that. And I bent a 3' x .134" steel pipe into an "L". This fornicator of maternals is on there.

So, I need suggestions. I have three. One was to put the bar on and a floor jack under the bar, using the car's weight to my advantage. But as I already spun the tires and turned the engine, I don't reckon it'd work as it would just pull weight off the tire. Second was to get the bar on and touching the ground, start the car, put it in reverse, ping the rev limiter, and just dump the clutch. But, since I have both the radiator and the exhaust headers off the car, I kind of want to steer away from that solution. Third was to get the ratchet on and pointing up, tape it in place, and hit the top of the ratchet with a well placed 12g shotgun slug. I imagine the impact plus the force should exceed 500lbs p/sqr" and do the trick.

Guys, the shotgun is the best idea I have.

Someone save me from myself!

And.... Go!
October 19th, 2013 at 11:32:36 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 47
Are you sure its Righty Tighty Lefty Loosie? Some are the other way round just to make things fun.
October 20th, 2013 at 8:19:14 AM permalink
Face
Administrator
Quote: Fleastiff
Are you sure its Righty Tighty Lefty Loosie? Some are the other way round just to make things fun.

Unfortunately, I'm positive. No reverse threads here.
October 20th, 2013 at 12:20:42 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 111
I would re-soak and re-soak overnight in PB after all that. Maybe you created tiny fissures somewhere (tiny hope) It needs access.

I had a Chevy Caprice rust bucket from NYC I bought for $150. Ran for a year. Had a broken motor mount.

Rust is metal cancer.
No one has ever proven I am not God.
October 20th, 2013 at 12:30:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Lots of hammer blows on a bar prior to trying to break it with a bar.

Lots. That's all I can think of for now.
October 20th, 2013 at 12:44:56 PM permalink
rxwine
This from the web (safer than a shotgun)

Quote:

i've only had one of those axle nuts which could not be removed with a breaker bar. the nuts only cost like a 1.50 and autozone should have them. i keep spares around on purpose. you are not supposed to reuse them. i had to dremel one off one time. takes about 45 minutes but just cut down the dented end until you almost hit the axle, then chisel it to break it away from the axle. last resort but it worked for me
October 20th, 2013 at 1:06:23 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Yeah, bought another litre of PB and been drowning it. Also got a propane torch and probably boiled both the bearing grease and the brake fluid lol. Got out the 3lb hammer, the impact, the bar... still on there.

I can't cut/grind it the way I'd like, cuz the hub has a sort of flange that sticks out around it that seats the wheel. The Sheriff has a proper breaker bar I'll obtain tonight at hockey and I guess I'll give that one more shot. If that doesn't work, all I can think of is to take the hub off with it and just buy a new hub =/
October 21st, 2013 at 4:01:55 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 70
[delete]

sorry Face I am no help with this stuff
Mustard:You like Kipling, Miss Scarlet? Sure, I'll eat anything [from movie]