Racin' With Face

Page 70 of 72« First<676869707172>
September 26th, 2016 at 3:27:12 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61
I guess at its base it's simple anthropomorphism. If you wanted to command attention, command respect, or possibly instill fear or intimidation, would you speak like Stuart Smalley or James Earl Jones? Gentle and even keeled, or even silent, is fine for an A to B. But car guys love cars and want theirs to be noticed and respected. Sound is a big part of that. It's kind of hard to explain to someone whose dream car is an AMC Pacer ( ;) ), but it matters a great deal. I mean, I don't care if you have the choicest '71 Cuda, even with the AAR package. If you start it and it sounds like a Hyundai Accent, I'm gonna die right on the spot. It's ruined. It lacks what is a huge part of its character, and character is a large part of the draw.

It also, for car guys, communicates information. Doesn't matter if you're into big torque, big power, or high RPM, the sound says much. At least with platforms I'm familiar with, I can tell a normal motor with a fart pipe from a trick motor no problem. Fart pipes aren't interesting, trick motors are. I hear one, I snap to. Respect is given. Notice is taken. Who cares about the kid with the Charger; I had the same 5.7 Hemi in my freaking pick up. BFD. But when that ol' frost top fella punches it, hot damn!, he's got the 6.4?! Wow! It makes a difference. It speaks a language. Car guy recognizes car guy.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 26th, 2016 at 3:57:01 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 18
Quote: Face
I guess at its base it's simple anthropomorphism. If you wanted to command attention, command respect, or possibly instill fear or intimidation, would you speak like Stuart Smalley or James Earl Jones? Gentle and even keeled, or even silent, is fine for an A to B. But car guys love cars and want theirs to be noticed and respected. Sound is a big part of that. It's kind of hard to explain to someone whose dream car is an AMC Pacer ( ;) ), but it matters a great deal. I mean, I don't care if you have the choicest '71 Cuda, even with the AAR package. If you start it and it sounds like a Hyundai Accent, I'm gonna die right on the spot. It's ruined. It lacks what is a huge part of its character, and character is a large part of the draw.

It also, for car guys, communicates information. Doesn't matter if you're into big torque, big power, or high RPM, the sound says much. At least with platforms I'm familiar with, I can tell a normal motor with a fart pipe from a trick motor no problem. Fart pipes aren't interesting, trick motors are. I hear one, I snap to. Respect is given. Notice is taken. Who cares about the kid with the Charger; I had the same 5.7 Hemi in my freaking pick up. BFD. But when that ol' frost top fella punches it, hot damn!, he's got the 6.4?! Wow! It makes a difference. It speaks a language. Car guy recognizes car guy.

Okay, if you say so. I still don't get it. I laugh and shake my head with disdain when I hear loud cars. I can't imagine the insecurity of wanting to be noticed for your loud car.

How dare you question my choice of a Pacer. I think the Pacer might be beating someones Honda around the track right now. :)
September 26th, 2016 at 6:00:24 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 78
Quote: DRich
Quote: Face

Okay, if you say so. I still don't get it. I laugh and shake my head with disdain when I hear loud cars. I can't imagine the insecurity of wanting to be noticed for your loud car.

How dare you question my choice of a Pacer. I think the Pacer might be beating someones Honda around the track right now. :)

Well, it did have a V8...
October 21st, 2016 at 12:53:20 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 110
Some more minor amusement

No one has ever proven I am not God.
February 26th, 2017 at 5:37:29 PM permalink
rxwine
Leave this as a surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPtcfv4dA7o
February 27th, 2017 at 1:07:49 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
Some more minor amusement

How did I miss this? This is some REAL backwoods awesomeness =D

But this just makes me nauseous. I'd suspect they're using one-offs nowadays what with the inflated prices for classics, but it reminds me they killed some 200 Chargers during the Duke's run, and that makes my heart hurt.
March 16th, 2017 at 1:07:26 PM permalink
Face
Administrator

Here we go again
He's back in town again
I'll take him back again
One more time

Here we go again
The phone will ring again
I'll be her fool again, I will
One more time

I've been there before
But I'll try it again
Any fool, any fool knows
That there's no, no way to win

Here we go again
She'll break my heart again
I'll play the part again
One more time

I've been there before
But I'll try it again
Any fool, any fool knows
That there's no, no way to win

Here we go again
She'll break my heart again
I'll play the part again
One more time

I'll take her back again
One more time.
March 16th, 2017 at 1:20:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 101
You racing this summer, or trying to?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 16th, 2017 at 1:43:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Must have some spare cash to burn.

Hey, gopro your accelerator and brake action for a couple laps.
March 16th, 2017 at 2:16:12 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
You racing this summer, or trying to?

The latter, lol. I've only confirmed (to myself) that I'll try the fuel system and ECU suggestions, as that whole lot is but $200, and $200 is a good budget for spring time entertainment. How far I'll take it passed that is still being debated

Must have some spare cash to burn.

Standard time ended, this is just residual optimism lol. I'm still uncomfortable.
Page 70 of 72« First<676869707172>