Racin' With Face

December 8th, 2013 at 4:58:06 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61
Is there anything better than coming home, looking upon your porch, and seeing this?

It came right on schedule, and on a 50* day as well. Again, I was out of suit and into scrubs within minutes, wire clippers and utility knife in hand. In no time, I had it unpacked and Ash and I humped it into the garage.

The first order of business was tear down and inspection. The purchase of one of these is really just a purchase of the block, head, and internals. All the accessories, while desperately needed, are only left on as a matter of labor. As such, they're not "part of the purchase" and carry no guarantees or warranties. All hoses and lines are haphazardly clipped and cut; they basically hack the thing out of the car and send it on its way.

I found most things just the way I needed them - whole. Yeah, the TPS and MAP sensors were crushed and snapped, but those are always broken and cost $40 total to replace. Everything else seems solid and intact; really my only gripe is the very poor cleaning job they did on it. It was an obvious splash and dash job and after that, something soaked it in motor oil, leaving the thing grimey indeed. I guess beggars can't be choosers.

I got it cleaned up so-so. Pulled the head and timing belt cover to get at the mount and have that ready to swap out so it'll fit my car. It seems the TPS and MAP sensors were all that was broke, so I ordered them up and called myself lucky. With only the mount swap needed to physically get it in the car, and that job having to wait until the other motor is pulled so I can cannibalize the mount, I pulled both harnesses to get busy with the wiring.

The project now is one of conversion. I have a Japanese engine with VTEC, fuel injection, Japanese emissions, Japanese plugs from a right hand drive car, and a modern Electronic Control Unit (ECU) that needs to go into an American chassis without VTEC, a carburetor, American emissions, American plugs and an older generation ECU. With no wiring experience whatsoever, I snagged a soldering gun, solder and some shrink wrap for about $30, processed the modern harness for parts, and set to work.

All told, it was somewhere between 4 and 12 hours of work, depending on what you consider "work". But as it sits now, I have the entire fuel injection system wired in, the VTEC harness set, the EACV and TPS sensors adjusted and lengthened to reach the new placement on the Jap motor, and all necessary wires installed to run it into the ECU (which should be delivered this week). And I even did it with OEM wires, OEM colors (with help from Jax =p), solder, and heat shrink. Someone's going to think I know what I'm doing if I'm not careful.

Once my TPS and Map sensors come in, it'll take 5 minutes to install them. Once my distributor shows up, that'll be another hour or so to install it and wire it into my harness. And once that is done, all I gotta do is wire all that into my ECU and the thing, at least electrically, should be all set and finished. Then it's just hooking up the coolant, fuel, and vacuum lines, getting the tranny, axles, and suspension reattached, and I'll be going BWAAAAAAAHHHH! before you know it =D

I just wish it wasn't so cold. That week of 60* spoiled me and I can't bring myself to go outside. I took a look at the race tires in my dining room and my complete brake system on the counter by the toaster, and thought "man, I wish I could move this into the kitchen".

So I did.

In the words of EvenBob, "You think I'm joking".

ID: Original: Adjusted: Actual:
Compressor and Tools $1,000 $850 $590
Trailer $5,000 $2,100 $1,000
Welder $800 $800 $300
Car $5,000 $2,000 $700
Spatula $120 $120 $0
Paint Supplies $200 $200 $200
Roll Cage $1,500 $300 $550
Rims and Race Tires $200 $50 $590
Race Seat $400 $400 $250
5pt Harness $200 $200 $70
Window Net $40 $40 $40
Fire Suit and Helmet $1,200 $1,200 $TBD
Engine Replacement $0 $0 $750
Bearings, Ball Joints, Control Arms and Tie Rods $0 $0 $820
Exhaust $0 $0 $0
ECU $0 $0 $130
VTEC Harness $0 $0 $30
Bumper Cover $0 $0 $0
MAP and TPS Sensor $0 $0 $40
OBD0 to OBD1 Jumper Harness $0 $0 $40
Soldering Gun and Material $0 $0 $30
Total $14,660 $8,260 $6,130+TBD

ID: Original: Adjusted: Actual:
Estimated Fires Set 0 0 27
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 13th, 2013 at 3:32:48 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 70
>With no wiring experience whatsoever

gotta love it!
Mustard:You like Kipling, Miss Scarlet? Sure, I'll eat anything [from movie]
December 14th, 2013 at 1:15:00 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 111
Hey, Face do you have to get racing sponsors?

Also speaking of cars, saw a "Thing" today. Hard to know if they sold more or less of those in the US with that name.

Quote:
The Volkswagen Type 181 was a two-wheel drive, four-door, convertible, off-road, military vehicle manufactured by Volkswagen from 1968 to 1983. Originally developed for the German Army, the Type 181 was also sold to the public, as the Kurierwagen in Germany, the Trekker in the United Kingdom, the Thing in the United States (1973-1974), and the Safari in Mexico. Civilian sales ended after model year 1980.
No one has ever proven I am not God.
December 14th, 2013 at 3:06:49 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Quote: odiousgambit
>With no wiring experience whatsoever

gotta love it!

I do =) This entire thing has been a learning experience, one which will help me in many areas for years to come. Almost everything I've done I had no experience in, wiring chief among them, and all of them have so far gone swimmingly. The wiring, although labor intensive and complete Greek when studying it, came relatively easily in practice.

Since my last update, my MAP and TPS sensors came (installed in 5 minutes), my distributor came in (just to find I didn't need it =p), my ECU is in (will be installed with engine), and the engine has been completely wired and reassembled. Pulley's back on, timing belt cover back on, engine mount swapped over, entire front end removed... I'm just waiting for the Sheriff to have a free day and this thing will be swapped right over.

And just two days ago, after all my money's been spent and almost all the work is complete, I get a FaceBook message that a dude has a complete Street Stock car sans drive train for sale for $400. I might hafta borrow Pop's barn for a few years... ;)

Quote: rxwine
Hey, Face do you have to get racing sponsors?

"Have to"? No. There's a few of the older guys and rich guys that run just a solid paint scheme, paying for everything out of pocket. If I were a rich man, I could do up my car however I wanted; paint it like the Bandit, The General Lee, or any one of the racers from Pixar's "Cars" movie.

But I'm not a rich man, so I'm getting sponsors. I have two all but confirmed that'll take a little financial pressure off. Looking to score about $1,000 - $1,500 total.
December 30th, 2013 at 8:18:26 AM permalink
Face
Administrator
Son. Of. A. Breakfast Biscuit.

Well, first some "good", not that there's much...

I still haven't hooked up with The Sheriff as the 65" of snow we got put him overtime patrolling the snowmobile trails. And when the typical NY weather turned that 65" in a torrential melt that again flooded my town and freed him up, I was too busy with holiday stuff. But the time not working was spent talking, and that talking got us another helper in the form of his buddy that was helping him with his 'Cuda. So when we do get together, we'll have no shortage of manpower.

The Sheriff also refused to help unless I got another clutch. While I've ragged the hell out of many cars and never burned one up, he insisted I replace it while everything was already apart. At $120 I wanted to avoid it, but I bent to his whim. Then he says OEM won't cut it, I need to go heavy duty. At $300 for one of those, I was gonna kill him, but he kept on insisting. So I dove back into the research, figured out all of my specs, and tracked down not a heavy duty but a stage 2 racing clutch for just $90. Yeah, it's "illegal" for my class but... it's auto racing. If you're not cheating, you're not trying hard enough =p

With nothing to do, I had to fiddle with something, and I have issues with painting stuff. Anything I've ever owned gets painted somehow, whether it's an entire shell job or just little effects here or there. And since I have to stare at everything every time I go into the garage to smoke (or at the myriad parts laying around my kitchen and dining room lol), the ideas were flowing.

First, a simple thing to really give some "pop" - raised white lettering on my race tires. I've always been a fan of this...

That done and the painting bug still itching, I decided to paint the valve cover. It was already flaking and oxidizing, and although there was no point to it whatsoever, it gave me something to do.

While some of it flaked right off using a chisel, the rest was still solidly baked on. No big deal, a trip to Value and $10 on some paint stripper should fix it right up. Well, this crap wasn't normal paint, it was almost like bed liner. It was wicked thick and textured, and after 4 coats-soaks-scrapes, it still wasn't done.

But I kept at it, and a little time and effort paid off with (finally) a clean cover.

Time to paint! And this should only take, what, 5 minutes? Nope! Since the 45* weather was currently melting the 65" of snow outside, it was insanely humid out and the paint wouldn't dry. After 2 hours of waiting I got impatient, grabbed it, and it was still wet. Paint job ruined. Back to the sink for more stripping, got it cleaned up again, repainted it, and, not wanting to wait several more hours just to ruin it, into the oven it went =p

Half an hour at 225* and it was good to go. And since you must have the raised letters "pop", I sanded them nice, made a homemade paintbrush, and highlighted them in team colors. Very pleased how this turned out =)

"But Face", you're probably saying, "what part of this is 'bad'?" Well, I tell you...

Some of my hockey team are gearheads and motor sports enthusiasts. A few are also Holland Speedway loyalists, one is a demo derby state champ, so they're always asking me stuff and bringing racing up over post game beers. The demo guy was lamenting the cost of his operation, as they often spend several thousand dollars to prepare a car, smash it to bits, and then do it all over again. He was thinking about heading to the track after hearing what I've gone through and the cost of mine. My goalie chimed in as he has also been going to Holland for decades and stated he had a Dodge Neon to run, but never could because it was DOHC. "But now", he says, "I can get it in there". Still smiling over the rim of my beer, I sort of crooked my eyebrow and grunted a "Huh?" "Yeah, didn't you hear?" He asks. "They opened it up for DOHC now."

Son. Of. A. Goddamnit.

I instantly queued up my phone, hit Holland's FaceBook page, and sure enough, everyone's talking about DOHC. I JUST BOUGHT MY FREAKING MOTOR!! ><

So now, instead of having by far the lightest car with arguably the single best engine one could run, I'm going to have only two thirds the horsepower of anyone who decides to dump the cash for a DOHC. 130hp vs 190hp. Despite the fact that I'll have the best handling car, it ain't gonna make up no 60 horses.

Ash is ready to pack up my SOHC and spring for the DOHC, but I'm just gonna stuff it and run it. I just want the project to be done and hit the track. And if it comes down to it, I guess I'll just have to make that little matchbox car three lanes wide ;)
December 30th, 2013 at 11:59:33 AM permalink
Face
Administrator
The hits keep on coming, and all the "good" from the last post is already gone.

Good old midwinter rule changes.

Both my engine AND my tires are now completely illegal.

The $1,500 I spent on them? (Insert Price is Right zonk melody here)

I can't believe I've gone 5 sentences without cussing.

December 30th, 2013 at 1:13:09 PM permalink
rxwine
maybe this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrebleu

I got a profanity warning already.

Someone has thrown a F*****g monkey wrench into your process!
December 30th, 2013 at 1:21:41 PM permalink
rxwine
You can probably sell the tires and get most of your money back on them as they're brand new. Heck, maybe a tire place noting they are new might take them back at a wholesale price and cut that off a replacement price for something else. Maybe?
December 30th, 2013 at 2:01:54 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
maybe this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrebleu

I got a profanity warning already.

I have a young child, I'm chock full of colorful yet tame expressions like the one you posted, the entire litany of Yosemite Sam, and plenty of German and Seneca swears I can usually get away with. But in this case, I could go deep into my bag of tricks and spew fire that would make the most hardened sailor blush and not come within a light year of truly expressing my frustrations.

I feel like those times I've been punched in the face by a much smaller man. Heart full of furious anger, but powerless to act upon it.

Someone has thrown a F*****g monkey wrench into your process!

A monkey wrench? A Monkey Wrench?! No, they ripped out my still beating heart, defecated unto it, and punted it into the gutter.

Performance is largely a non issue. I could actually bump up a tick higher in hp while still staying fully within the rules. But I did a ton of modding on what I already have. My wiring is a Frankenstein's Monster of two different harnesses, so I technically don't have a harness for either engine, engines which I now need to sell. Each of those harnesses are about $200 a piece, and now I have neither of them.

I have a few parts from one swapped onto the other, and still other parts that I've taken off and scrapped.

I have $700+ worth of new tires for which I have zero use.

I have $300+ spent on delivery of shit I don't need.

I have a $100 ECU of which I have no use, and will need be replaced by, duh, another different $100 ECU.

I have wiring that needs to be totally un-updatified and returned to stock, just so I can re-update it to whatever the hell I'm gonna have to do to it now.

Including the ECU, I have some $300 plus close to $100 in shipping for electronics that I no longer need, and over 15 hours into it all in switching and swapping, which has to be undone and then redone again.

Add this all up and I have to spend about two thousand more dollars, spend roughly 20 hours undoing all I did, 20 more hours updating what I just undid, and who knows how much time and effort it'll take to try and sell what I no longer need at who knows how much of a loss, JUST TO GET TO WHERE I AM RIGHT NOW. Just to have a car that still needs several more weeks of work just to run.

And to what end? Because the funny little numbers on the front of my engine don't match Honda's sodding part list. Because Honda, in their infinite marketing wisdom, decided to rebrand their CRX del Sol as simply "del Sol", thereby creating a new model. Screwed by semantics.

Do you know what I'm asking?! I'm asking to run a motor with 100 less cc's, 2 less hp, and 14 less ft/lbs of torque. I'm asking to run at a disadvantage!!

NOPE! CAN'T DO IT!! AGAINST THE ROOOOOLLLZZZZ!!!

(/deep breath)

(/le sigh)

I guess first order of business is research. Not into the engine, but into etching equipment. If I can just change the "D15B" into "D16A9".......

Now, where's that damn Dremel?....
December 30th, 2013 at 2:18:44 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
You can probably sell the tires and get most of your money back on them as they're brand new. Heck, maybe a tire place noting they are new might take them back at a wholesale price and cut that off a replacement price for something else. Maybe?

But, because I can never leave well enough alone, I have painted them, as seen above. I suspect I can get money for them, but doubt it'll be from a business. Probably eBay, and after the requisite shipping and eBay's cut...

Edit: And I hope my rant above wasn't taken personally. I certainly wasn't yelling or directing the "duh" to you. I'm just sort of yelling out loud at everything =)