Page 72 of 73« First<6970717273>
March 23rd, 2017 at 12:12:03 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61
Quote: Evenbob
And so it begins. The ordeal. At least you
have a dog to help you this year.

He's still more work than support with the puppiness, but it IS a nice distraction. He was just neutered yesterday, so he'll be down awhile.

I've done none of what I said as I just keep getting beaten down. I sprung a rib or something in the game Sunday and it still kills. Then whacked with the half day flu. Tues I dropped the tank, but yesterday was the dentist where I had some work done sans anesth and then popped a migraine in the chair. Much of this week has been like a bad strych acid trip and I was in no condition for research.

But I did today, and thanks to the Chiltons, it was as easy as a reference. The fuel filter is right on the firewall, up by the windshield. Easy enough. And the fuel pump will either come or it won't, not much to worry about there. With the rest of this part being only the visual and tactile inspection of lines with no tools required, looks like the biggest PITA will be emptying the old tank so I can save the gas lol. How hard can it be?

Just about 40* now, so I'm gonna find out.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 23rd, 2017 at 12:29:41 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 12
Quote: Face
He's still more work than support with the puppiness, but it IS a nice distraction. He was just neutered yesterday,
Did you get the both of you? Think about it. You to can be content to just lay around on the carpet instead of having to piss on everything. Saves a fortune in the long run.
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
March 27th, 2017 at 12:48:28 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Quote: petroglyph
Did you get the both of you? Think about it. You to can be content to just lay around on the carpet instead of having to piss on everything. Saves a fortune in the long run.

Don't think I haven't considered it. In the end, I feared I wouldn't be angry anymore, and that's just no way to live.

On the car front, so far, s'OK. A bit of a faff with the fuel filter but that was mostly a product of ignorance and fear. Once confirming I could crank on what I planned to crank on, the only difficulty was the restriction of the location. I really did want to see what was in there, but they're all sealed up like an oil filter and I've incurred too many eye injuries to try and cut a metal can filled with gas in twain. At least I've checked a question off the list with its replacement.

Tank is going Good Enough™. The biggest problem really was emptying it; it's just too awkward and heavy, so now my patio has been stripped of paint. But all the hoses came off nice save that evap thingy which I had to cut off (shear, not grind), and it's about ready to remount, unless I decide to just throw it out. The only problem was the fuel pump hanger assembly did not come off as suspected. I was staggered that 6 of the 8 nuts came off easy as you'd like, but those last two just evaporated in the socket. I banged on em a bit to see if they'd free up and tried with a channel lock, but that just peeled layers off. I did empty it good including 3 or 4 fill-and-dumps of water and was filling it again to prepare for the cutting wheel, but the petro on my shoulder wouldn't let me. Kid's the only one around to find my body, so I saved him a decade of therapy and spent the ~$150 on a new hanger and pump. And since it was all apart, I wrapped lips around the line and gave a blow. I dunno what I expected as I have no frame of reference, but passing air didn't seem overly difficult, even blowing all the fuel in front of it. It pissed onto the floor and I assume that means my lines are clear enough. I dunno, sounds good, anyway =p

That's just about it. I should get those parts tomorrow and their installation, as well as the tank's, is completely elementary. Once it's in we're already ready for the back road shakedown. If it works, I'm going to have one very nice Spring and dig myself a pond in between boat shopping and loads of fishing. When it doesn't work (=p), I'll drop a buck twenty on a new ECU and go for another rip. If that doesn't work... I dunno. Might shop it, might get it up to 40 and put it up a tree. Cross that bridge when we come to it, I suppose.
March 27th, 2017 at 2:39:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 106
How can it be worse than last summer's
racing season for you. I guess we'll find
out.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 31st, 2017 at 10:54:57 AM permalink
Face
Administrator
How can it be worse than last summer's
racing season for you. I guess we'll find
out.

Don't see how it can. I'm not as certain, not putting so much faith into it. And I've a few other things I'm more dedicated to atm, so it's still sort of on the periphery. Then again, it does seem like a simple path, and I do kinda wanna go fast...

I guess we'll find out.

Lol, f#$%ing Amazon.

That hanger assembly said something like "shipping within 1-2 months". I lol'ed, finding a bit of wonder in witnessing a typo in such a large .org. I carry on to be sure, and yup, no "out of stock" warnings a'tall. Further, I see there's a 30day free trial of Prime, enacted with little more than one click, which bestows upon me free 2 day delivery. Far out, right?

Still ain't here so I just checked. "Will arrive between 4/18 and 4/28."

I remain content in the fact that at least I am filling Ace's shoes for EB.
March 31st, 2017 at 11:58:48 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 106

I remain content in the fact that at least I am filling Ace's shoes for EB.

You wore me out last summer with this,
I can't go thru it again.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 31st, 2017 at 12:41:47 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
You wore me out last summer with this,
I can't go thru it again.

Fine. Success it is!
May 8th, 2017 at 2:22:45 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
You almost gotta laugh at this point, and damned if genuine laughter wasn't my exact reaction. A quick backtrack though... after waiting a full month for Amazon to get their s#$% together, I arrived to delivery day to find another letter - Package will be shipped 5/20 - 5/28. They just tacked another month on! So I retained my Amazon virginity, canceled that order, and found one just $6 more expensive on Ebay. Was delivered 5 days later.

I can't remember if I mentioned it and can't be arsed to check, but the schedule has also thrown me. Rather than opening day being the last Saturday of May, they pushed it back. Way back. Far enough back that the lone practice (which will probably get rained out) is THIS SATURDAY. One week from receiving my parts, this things gotta be ready to roll. Oy.

Since we've all been trapped inside by sub 50* temps and 18" of rain all week, I had a lot to catch up on. Plan was to donate 1hr to getting the car running. That's 10min to install the pump in the tank and a full 50min to install the tank in the car. That's probably double what it would've taken and triple what it should've taken, but whatever. I was up at 0600 and already working by the time 0800 fell. The pump went on easy as you'd like, then came putting it all back on. And, because this just has to be the case, I went to plug the pump into the harness and found the 2x2 pins in the old plug were contained in a 1x4 in the new.

Everything, that's just what this car has turned into. There's a long list of bad things that could happen, and rather than sprinkle some in here and there we're taking the list and aiming for completion =p

A quick voltmeter test revealed the purpose of the wires, and swapping the plug was elementary. Still, with the requisite parts store stop that it required, it did take a solid 2hrs to account for the mishap. Rather than a quick task to start the day, it was becoming a full day project.

What followed was the typical assembly tomfoolery. Just doesn't quite fit, just won't quite clear... I did little more than gain awareness that I was squashing an already compromised fuel line and was quite literally smashing the tank flat with the jack before smashing enough to catch one strap. A few turns of the ratchet squashed it tight, and one strap is surely enough to keep the tank in the car. Put a charge to 'er and... battery's dead. Not flat, but killed. Couldn't take being frozen anymore. So, a quick pilfering of the lawnmower battery and...

Fired right up. Kind of roared to life and settled, just as it should. Even settled smoothly, just as it used to. Opened the throttle ever so slightly and it chugged and stuttered and pulsed, just like it used to. So I ripped the blade open and "WAAAAAAAPAMPAMPAM!", it shot right to redline with not so much a gurgle.

It's kind of not making sense, as it seems, moreso than it has ever thus far, that it is fixed. I suppose I'm just not letting that thought exist in my head yet until I am certain. But, of course, while I was mulling the possibility of the end of this hellish purgatory, a puddle was announced by standers by and I looked to see an expanding pool damn near the size of the car itself. A quick check revealed the filter connection throwing fuel hand over fist every which way it could. Tightening solved nothing, so just today I've ordered new crush washers for it. Assuming that solves the leak, I need only...

Find a battery (will likely harvest a tiny one from wheeler) and get it secured in the bay.
Figure out how to keep my airbox attached and do so.
Secure ECU.
Shakedown run.
Register with NASCAR.
Make a trip to the scrapper to free up my trailer.
Find all my fire gear / helmet / radio
Adjust toe.
Find tires.
Call sponsors.

I think that's it. 4 days, should be cake.
May 8th, 2017 at 3:11:04 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 12
It's kind of not making sense, as it seems, moreso than it has ever thus far, that it is fixed.
Why dint it run last year?
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
May 8th, 2017 at 3:35:50 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 115

I think that's it. 4 days, should be cake.

You wouldn't be a real racer, if everything went smoothly.

A hope and prayer. And I wouldn't count on the prayer from what I hear.

(You could probably sell that slogan or some version on T-shirts at your track.)
No one has ever proven I am not God.
Page 72 of 73« First<6970717273>