Racin' With Face

Page 73 of 76« First<70717273747576>
May 9th, 2017 at 3:34:31 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph
Why dint it run last year?

Still turned off at 55 or above and I eventually gave up on it. But now I'm back,...and everything's going pretty much the same lol.

I figured I should get this thing into driving condition. Everything left to go seems to be so nickel and dime, and my work thus far has been that, too. Plenty of little covers or loose hoses or bolts laying everywhere. Not to mention a number of cig butts, leaves and material scraps all inside the thing. I decided to hop in back and make my way forward.

Getting the last bits of fuel stuff was cake, and other than removing a mess of tools and loose connectors, there was nothing to the rest of the interior. Take out the parts and shop vac the rest. Just that little bit perked me up; it's starting to look "ready". Things started coming to me here and there, some random task I put off for later and forgot over the 14 months it's been. Add weight, finish off soldering, get clamps on that hose, all the little niggles. With no ability to clearly recollect, I decided to do the fuel leak and think as I went.

That job went fine. It looked to be a case of me simply choosing the wrong size washer to use when grabbing from my Sack of Many Things, so using these ones worked straight away. Turn the key, pump primes, and no leaks. I guess... oh! Let's start and run, get it up to temp. And I know the rad's dry, so let's start there. I begin to fill it while looking around trying to remember when I notice water is pouring from the underside.

I couldn't (and still can't) see where it's coming from. I've crawled under, taken off tires, I just can't see it. And in trying to find it, I stuffed my arm in to feel for it and wound up ripping apart some wiring I hadn't yet soldered. Round and round we go.

Near as I can tell it's the crossover pipe in back, the one I commented on during the rebuild that I didn't understand how it doesn't leak. Plus, after all this thinking about it, this thing has ran, on the track, no less, and wasn't leaking then. It's certainly not a case of not noticing, as while I remember many comments about leaks, this one is such that I wouldn't just run out before the race ended, but I'd run out before I even took the green. It pours. I'd have noticed. And the s#$%iest thing of all is that I see no way I can even see or touch it without either removing the entire intake manifold and all attached cooling accessories, or removing the entire engine.

Ugh.

So... what I think I'm gonna do is fix the wiring I just broke (it doesn't even turn over at the moment =p) which won't take but an hour. Once running, I'm gonna call the shop and see if they got time. Set a budget and see what happens. There's something about turning a wrench I have really missed, something about correcting a failure I still dig. But, there is something about this specific car and situation I cannot f#$%ing stand anymore. Probably it's the 100% failure rate.

We'll see.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 9th, 2017 at 6:26:03 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 81
Is there enough space for you to stick your GoPro in to see if you can identify the source of the leak?
May 9th, 2017 at 7:08:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 118
Quote: Ayecarumba
Is there enough space for you to stick your GoPro in to see if you can identify the source of the leak?

Duct tape it to a stick if you have to. They also make mechanic tools with extendable mirrors.
No one has ever proven I am not God.
May 10th, 2017 at 11:48:27 AM permalink
Face
Administrator

Perhaps just enough. If my massive hands fit, a GoPro should. However, that's all well and good for the ID but does not a thing for the repair. One way or the other, something is gonna have to come off or out. Thank Christ for this thread...

I just looked at the pics from the rebuild. There IS a bitty hose that comes off the crossover, and there IS the coolant temp sensor, either of which could be the culprit. And oh how I would love to solve this with little more than a channel lock or 10mm socket. But barring that, there just isn't a single thing going on on that side of the engine. It's flat and void of accessories. It can only be one easy hose, one easy sensor, or one bitch of a crossover pipe. (Stay tuned where we find it's coming from somewhere else entirely and just happened to find it's way where it is now =p)

Oh well. Cryin' ain't gonna fix it. Thanks for the tip =)

ETA: Yup. GD crossover pipe, leaking like a sieve right at the thermostat. Warmer weather meant fewer layers and I managed to get an arm all the way in.

The thermostat is easy. I reckon I'll try to access it through the thermo as opposed to removing the entire intake manifold and all those connections. Watch how I fix this and the other side starts leaking, requiring an intake manifold removal =p
May 10th, 2017 at 2:14:47 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Isn't this radiator a recent acquisition? Is it still under warranty?
May 10th, 2017 at 2:58:09 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Isn't this radiator a recent acquisition? Is it still under warranty?

Oh god, no. Came with the car. But it ain't the rad. And golly, but does it feel good to actually FIND the culprit.

Finding that it might have just ended your career? Not as pleasurable.

There it is. That pipe on the bottom that shows a compressed rubber gasket between it and the thermostat, that's the crossover. And sure as s#$%, after a parts run store for an elbow ratchet, I got all of the intake off and saw it leak clear as day. I even asked for a gasket kit while at the store, I was that confident. What I did not foresee was the leak not coming from a bunk gasket, but leaking because the entire hole into which the thermo is bolted has snapped off. Pulling the thermo back into its natural seat stopped the leak dead.

I don't know what to do. I can't even imagine a scenario that would have caused this. And I sure as s#$% have nothing in my Bag of Many Things to address it.

I know I can't just thread the bolt through. It almost looks like it would work, but I'm sure it'd just pull the thermo too far the other way and still leak, or it'll just snap the bolt clean off. I'm sure the proper fix is to build the material back up via weld and re-tap the hole, but f#$% me if I or anyone could do that while the motor is still in the car. F#$% me if I could do it under the best circumstances period lol. So it looks like my only option is to half ass weld the balls right off it and hope I can bodge with the best of them.

Ha. Well, f#$% that, too. Just checked. Aluminum block.

I, uh....

Yeah.
May 10th, 2017 at 6:16:18 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 118
WeeeeLLLl, the ad shows them making an entire air boat out of a screen door.

No one has ever proven I am not God.
May 10th, 2017 at 10:36:56 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
How much to swap in a new engine? Is it time to put the unicorn out to pasture?
June 19th, 2017 at 6:34:46 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Said I'd update...

As is probably obvious, I had/have no recourse for this. I did maybe 10min of panicked thinking before it all just whooooshed away. It was over. And it felt kind of good.

There was just something about the amount I had in my head to fix this nestled up with the burgeoning idea of a Charger / street stock. Those numbers were too close to continue. So the only thought in my head - soul search.

It was dumb to continue pouring this much into this car when it's not even the class I wanted to race. The dumb increased when remembering how often I think that I could've already bought a Charger and required equipment with what I've blown on the Honda. And there were further thoughts of "Do I even want to anymore?". It's a lot of work and big financial commitment. Did I even love racing or just the idea of it? Hell, could I even do it? Seems I'm falling apart more and more, and no more do the injuries heal.

There were just a lot of questions about racing entirely. Then there is the requisite personal drama. Then there was questions of buying the house I'm in, which nestled up with other plans to build a shop here. And pretty much right away, I knew that any sort of post I made was almost definitely never gonna happen, and continuing the thread was going to be nothing but 30 frustrating pages of me moving the goalposts.

TL;DR - I didn't want to post until I was sure what I wanted to post.

Well, I found that I've no desire to quit. But also, too much is in flux at the moment. I've a housing future to contemplate, I just picked up a possible dream truck ('98 Dakota rot box with Magnum V8 and 5 speed O.o), and a grandfather to see to the end. I had what Buzz would call a lucid moment where everything in my head sort of slotted properly and I felt like myself again, and it told me to do nothing but work. Don't work to a goal, just work. Something is coming, be ready. Don't make decisions, don't change courses, both will be done for me. Just work.

So that's what I'm doing. I've begun Charger research, just in case, and am networking my way into a meeting with a regular to get a further idea. Also, though my car is on Craigslist, so long as I have it I suppose it is also a possibility (though that f#$%ing unicorn is GONE, with NO QUESTIONS ABOUT IT and I will NEVER CHANGE MY MIND). As long as the track is open and I can earn money, I will be working toward it. But the most important thing, I just need a fresh start. Winging it and ye olde hope and prayer became too much the norm. It was OK when I had and knew nothing, it's OK to do to force your way in. But I'm in. Stop denying knowledge, experience, HELP, and get it the f#$% done. Don't be so GD proud, the goal isn't "doing it solo". The goal is getting it done. So get it done.

So yeah. Work. Employment, self,... lotta work to do.
July 10th, 2017 at 3:32:47 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
As the 50's morphed into the 60's, car manufacturers started realizing that motorsports success translated into sales. America's largest manufacturer, Ford, wanted in on this action. So sometime in the early 60's, Henry Ford II met with Enzo Ferrari himself with plans to buy the Ferrari brand.

Odd to think, isn't it? A Grand Marquis playing second fiddle to a Scaglietti, a Focus RS complimenting a 458. I dunno, makes me giggle anyway. After a bit of a chat, a deal, believe it or not, was actually struck. The whole of Ferrari to Ford Motor Co. for sixteen million dollars. Sort of boggles the mind, considering I can think of double digit models of Ferraris now where a single car goes for more than that alone. But it very much could've happened if not for one detail - Enzo wouldn't part with the racing portion. Because race car, the whole deal fell through.

Ford Deuce was so displeased he went a bit mad, insisting his Fords were going to enter the hardest race in the world, the 24 hours of LeMans, and tromp the 2-in-a-row champs at Ferrari. He called in a chicken farmer from Texas and began work on what would become the Ford GT MkII, commonly known as simply "the GT40". At this time, there were 10 months until the race.

Ford, Shelby and Co. built quite a car, a machine so mental it spun the rear tires at 170mph. With just 2 months to go, they had wrecked every single model they built in testing. But they did manage to make it to the show with a handful of cars, intent on revenge for a deal gone wrong.

Isn't it weird, the things that motivate us?

Ford left that first race in the mid 60's with a heap of charred metal. Not a single car finished. Ferrari, on the other hand, finished 1-2-3-4, taking their third straight title. Undeterred, Ford went right back in the shop.

Same old story, same old song and dance, Ford built and busted model after model after model. And they showed up with a handful of cars. And every one broke or burned. And Ferrari took home their 4th title in a row.

There must be something that affects (or maybe I should say inflicts) people to extreme levels of determination / obsession. Ford, even back in 1965, were using computer controlled simulators to put the engine and trans through the exact rigors it'd experience on the track. All the way down to actuators engaging the clutch, shifting gears, etc. This in a time before the moon landing. I dunno, half y'all were there, could you imagine this stuff in 1965? So spurned was he he cast everything into it. Adjusted for inflation, Ford spent $500 million on just one car for just one race in just two years. Because revenge.

For him the story goes third time's a charm. He acquired more talent, Ferrari went and built a whole new car with strategy specifically to defend from the GT 40, and Ford trounced them all anyway. 1-2-3 finish on the way to four straight Lemans wins through the late 60's.

I can't recall a story I've heard about some great success that didn't have this element. It doesn't matter if you're the largest corporation on Earth or just some mom and pop that have seen success and made it 40yrs, everyone seems to have that thread of "It was hard, but we didn't give up". That leads to the next thought of "OK, but how many didn't give up and got ruined?" And how bad did it get? Is the old saw of "work hard and things will work" an actual truth, or just a bias in reporting, propaganda, even?

I just gotta know, ya know? And I'm not showing up at the dock too old to find out.

Coming soon.
Page 73 of 76« First<70717273747576>