Racin' With Face

Page 75 of 77« First<727374757677>
July 13th, 2017 at 11:53:49 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 12
Quote: Face
From the 'burbs? With 6,500lbs in back?
You did have trailer brakes that would skid the tires, right? ; )

Quote:
Edit: Unless you meant tomorrow =p
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Sneak her home. If you pull the line off without spilling hazardous waste at the funeral home, lol.... You taking your power bleeder with you?
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
July 14th, 2017 at 5:19:37 AM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph
You did have trailer brakes that would skid the tires, right? ; )

Was easier to take them off than fix them lol. In my defense, I did have a 1,900lb car at the time =p

Quote: petro
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Sneak her home. If you pull the line off without spilling hazardous waste at the funeral home, lol.... You taking your power bleeder with you?

"My power bleeder"... you're just full of jokes today.

No, I'm gonna trap some poor soul into a 40min ride, then I'll make them sit in my steamy truck and pump the pedal as God intended.

You kids and your gizmos... XD
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 14th, 2017 at 10:03:41 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 85
Crazy start with this new car Face! I'm surprised the story didn't contain the phrase, "...and that's when I was a bit surprised to see a trailer with a car just like one I just bought rolling past me through the intersection...wait a minute...THAT IS MY TRAILER!"
July 14th, 2017 at 12:28:54 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Quote: Ayecarumba
Crazy start with this new car Face! I'm surprised the story didn't contain the phrase, "...and that's when I was a bit surprised to see a trailer with a car just like one I just bought rolling past me through the intersection...wait a minute...THAT IS MY TRAILER!"

UGHHH!

I've only ever lost one trailer, that being my boat back in the beginning. I suspect that I caught the clasp in the tongue instead of sliding by it and just didn't notice, and a back road bump blooped her right out. Safety chains caught it no prob, and she was light enough I just lifted her back on.

Ain't no part of that happening with this rig.

THANK YOU, though. I did my own safety chain on this rig, and while I'm confident in the chain, I've always been a little iffy on my welding job to secure it. Not that the weld's bad, I just question my process (hold it close and vaporize it together lol) I think I'm gonna use some of this plate I got lying around and sandwich / box it all in together. I do like welding, and I imagine I would quite dislike being passed by my own load, so might as well, right? =)

The truck ended up being a lost cause. F#$%ing corporate auto parts stores, man, how do they work? I can sort of tolerate the interrogation about every single option on the truck (I need wipers, pal, WTF does it matter what size V8 I got?), but it's just not the experience I get at my local mom and pop. First I order a line, I get the hose. Tell him I don't need the hose and he says all the lines aren't pre-bent. I tell him, duh, I freaking know that, can you just give me the line and set me free? Oh, but there's 5 different models of master cylinder for this model (Jesus wept) and some valve is different and, gee, I can test fit this here but not that there... Last time I went to my local it took 2 minutes and I left with what I needed. I was in two different Advance Auto for 45 and STILL left empty handed. Christ on a crutch...

So whatever. I had it towed to the local spin and stop. Good thing, too, because my caliper's bleeder done rotted off. Line, caliper, labor, bye-bye $600.

There should be a class in school to teach how much simply existing costs.

Oh, and if you liked that part Aye, I'll have you know that when I went outside this morn to check tarp placement for the rain, one of my trailer tires had blown out. Must've happened after the E-stop but before I got home. Never even felt it.

Ah well. At least I have a whole car. Now I just need all the s#$% to tote it XD
July 14th, 2017 at 2:01:46 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Wow... the hits keep coming. EB's voodoo car (the doll..., not THE car) must be working overtime.

The "Voodoo Man"

hehe... There was an old episode of "The Brady Bunch" where the kids picked up an old tiki idol in a cave where Vincent Price lived, then all hell broke loose (tarantulas crawling on you when your sleeping, surfing wipeouts, etc.) until they returned it. Maybe the reason you got such a good deal is...

hehe...
July 14th, 2017 at 7:13:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 111

hehe...

How many people under 45 even know who
that is. I grew up watching his horror flicks
at home and in the theater. They're so
cornball now.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 20th, 2017 at 1:46:22 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Wow... the hits keep coming. EB's voodoo car (the doll..., not THE car) must be working overtime.

The shop called later; it was the typical NY'ism of "every time I replace something, whatever I connect it to breaks". The bill rose to $750. I borrow my cousin's Nighttrain to get to work; leaned too far in a corner and rashed his exhaust. THEN went to get gas with it before dropping it off and forgot all my particulars were in my shorts, which i switched out for jeans for the ride. Ever had to explain to a Trooper why you're getting gas without money, riding without your personal effects, on a bike you don't have papers for? Then I get allll the way out there only to have them tell me they found a puddle and didn't want to release the truck.

Life's funny sometimes.

I decided to pull all the trailer tires and replace them. Sure enough, dry rot on all. And with them off, and in rewiring the bunk light, I found quite a few, erm... "inadequacies"... in my trailer. The tongue was 1/3rds cracked through, which I knew, but the frame had a good 1/4 way crack, too. And the strengthening beams on the right side were snapped at both ends, essentially eliminating them. Ooops.

The tires gotta wait (odd size (of course) and had to order), but it's been a productive week. So much new metal, grinding, welding... trailer feels all new again. It's neither glamorous nor interesting, but it feels good building a foundation. Time to do this right.

I think I'm good otherwise with the exception of the rear bumper, or lack thereof. I know it'd be a no-go for competing, as anyone who touched me couldn't help but hook us up. But I'm gonna see if'n they won't let me run practice, and if so, I hope to go out as soon as I can get a Friday off.

ETA: And I see Photobucket has just borked every one of my threads by making 3rd party hosting pay-for. God dammit.

If anyone has a handy suggestion for a new option for me, I'm all ears.
July 20th, 2017 at 2:07:10 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: Face
... Time to do this right...

Changing the "Good E Nuff Garage" sign?
July 20th, 2017 at 2:11:03 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 12
It will be so nice having trailer brakes again.
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
July 24th, 2017 at 1:23:35 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Changing the "Good E Nuff Garage" sign?

Absolutely not, good sir. It's simply too perfect, too quintessentially "me". In fact, one of my winter planned projects is to make an exterior GEG sign for me shop. I will, however, in the interest of fatherhood and longevity, adjust the Good Enough bar a few ticks higher for this go around ;)

Quote: petroglyph
It will be so nice having trailer brakes again.

Maybe we'll see. I'm not really at all familiar with them, what with this car being the heaviest thing I've towed in a personal vehicle. I've been peeking around and find I'm in the same boat I'm always in - I dunno wtf I'm doing lol. It looks like electric is the way to go, and it looks like the brakes and a controller are all I need. But "fits X,000lb axle"? I dunno what mine are. "Fits 14.5" wheel"? That a rim size, and who the f#$% makes rims in half inch increments? It's a lot of foreign info I'll have to slog my way through first =/

I imagine you'd know the most about this out of this lot, so if you got info, I got ears (eyes, whatever =p)

On the journey itself, things have been pretty fun. There were quite a few days of second guessing and posing the question of "wtf am I doing with my life", but I'm happy to say that things have only been going up since I bought it. Rather than stare at it and fret that I haven't a clue wtf I'm doing, I decided to just get started. And I suppose first order of business was getting to know her.

34 years ago I sat on my G-pa's lap wanting one of these oh so bad. And 33 yrs ago, and 32 yrs ago... Jesus jumped up Christ, half a lifetime later I own my own Street Stock.

I reckoned the first order of business was getting comfortable in the office since I planned to run it soon, and there were problems straight away. Carbone was encouraged, saying that Scott (previous owner) was a "tall guy like yourself", but either I've been racing wrong or Scott is 6' 17". I can get full pedal, but it's knees locked and on tippy toes to do so AND that's with me sitting in my comfortable "G-rider" position. If I actually sit in the seat the safe way, then full pedal is in question. If I sit in the safe position AND bend my legs they way they want to be, I'm a good 14" away from even touching the pedals lol.

Vision is shockingly tough as well; this seat is on the floor. It was my plan to sit in it a bit, use cues in my garage to give me an idea of blind spots, where I needed a mirror, etc, but I didn't even bother. Maybe it's ten years of driving trucks only, but by my reckoning, they're gonna have to cut a hatch in the roof and install me a stool, because this is my view from inside...

I got nothin', not even the hood pins stick up high enough for me to see them. Just a wheel, dash, and a vague assumption that there's 70" of steel in front of me.

On the outside, I found plenty to make me smile, or at least I did so eventually. Bored, I decided to peel stickers and bang out dents, so that's what I set about doing. Of course, I found many instances where I wished or needed to have it apart, and often wondered why it was done in a fashion that couldn't be undone. Well, turns out it was easily undone, if only you understood the ingenuity. What began as my typical slog doing things the hard way eventually revealed the "secrets", and this thing came apart with the ease of a very expensive bicycle. In just one day, one where I still did chores and fished with the boy for 3hrs, I had just about the whole thing pulled apart...

With the disassembly, the list came easy. Need this, want that, gotta adjust those. Things are cooking right along and it feels good again. Feels "right". And boy, but are there a lot of places to put a camera =D

Track says it's fine, so may hit the road on the 3rd. Until then I've more dents to bang and fixes to list. Oh, and if anyone knows how to buff Lexan, speak now. I'd not mind seeing where I'm going =p
Page 75 of 77« First<727374757677>