Racin' With Face

Page 76 of 76« First<73747576
July 24th, 2017 at 1:58:37 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 82
Sweet ride!

Perhaps the seat position will get corrected once you get a proper race seat and HANS installed. The nice thing is that you can put the steering wheel, shift box, pedals and toggles where you need them.

Here's some NASCAR windshield info:

Quote: How NASCAR Safety Works

The windshields on NASCAR race cars are made of Lexan, which is the same polycarbonate material used on fighter-plane canopies. This material is very strong, but also surprisingly soft. This softness is actually what gives it its strength. When an object hits the Lexan windshield, it doesn't shatter it. Instead, the object scratches, dents or imbeds itself in the windshield.

The windshields are usually constructed from three relatively flat pieces of Lexan. Each piece is supported by a framework built into the roll cage -- this gives the windshield the strength to resist large objects. The downside of a Lexan windshield is that it scratches very easily -- you could scratch one with your fingernail. A bare Lexan windshield would have to be replaced after every race because of scratches from sand and other grit on the track. But instead of replacing them, the NASCAR teams apply an adhesive film to the windshields that is harder than the Lexan and as clear as glass. After each race, the film can be peeled off and replaced, leaving the Lexan unscratched. Some teams apply several layers of this film and remove them one at a time during the race.

So, if the Lexan is already scratched and cloudy, It doesn't sound like a buff and polish is going to save it. I have been trying different compounds on my, now milky, headlight covers, and still haven't found anything acceptable.
July 24th, 2017 at 4:58:22 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 48
Periscope?
July 24th, 2017 at 5:55:02 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: Fleastiff
Periscope?

hehe...
July 24th, 2017 at 7:45:36 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 12
Quote: Face
From the 'burbs? With 6,500lbs in back?
http://legalbeagle.com/6322990-new-york-state-towing-laws.html from the link, "According to New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law Section 375, Section C (Equipment), every vehicle towing a trailer and the unit being towed must be equipped with working brakes and lights"

If only the tow vehicle or the trailer has brakes, I would pick the tow vehicle. With that weight, versus a lite assed pick-up truck, that is a formula for jack knifing.

It has been a pleasure several times being able to reach down and tap the trailer brakes and leave the pulling rig going strait. When it is trying to jack knife in a storm or the jet stream of a semi gets you fish tailing, stomp on the gas and apply the trailer brakes, it will straighten you out. : )

Those axle's are easy to change. With that weight you probably need "load G" tires anyway. Is there an unloved travel trailer around you can kipe the axle's off? I hate those off'n a mobile home, the kind where the stud goes into the hub from the outside through the rim. We used to call them California rims, don't know what they are really called?

I see it is your law now that the sending unit need to be in the truck anyway, I was going to cuss surge brakes cuzz they are hateful. Be safe man. Safety first.
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
July 27th, 2017 at 7:32:29 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 5
Quote: Ayecarumba
Sweet ride!

Perhaps the seat position will get corrected once you get a proper race seat and HANS installed. The nice thing is that you can put the steering wheel, shift box, pedals and toggles where you need them.

Here's some NASCAR windshield info:

So, if the Lexan is already scratched and cloudy, It doesn't sound like a buff and polish is going to save it. I have been trying different compounds on my, now milky, headlight covers, and still haven't found anything acceptable.

Aye,

Have you tried using bug repellent with at least 40%DEET content, and a white sock or terry rag?

It works. Frightening to think what you're putting on your bare skin, but it takes the yellowish cloudy film off headlights.

Life hack.
Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die. -ersatz Buddha
July 27th, 2017 at 9:26:02 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: beachbumbabs
Aye,

Have you tried using bug repellent with at least 40%DEET content, and a white sock or terry rag?

It works. Frightening to think what you're putting on your bare skin, but it takes the yellowish cloudy film off headlights.

Life hack.

Ooooh... I am going to try this. 40% DEET sounds like a Florida swamp thing. Thanks!
August 5th, 2017 at 6:57:06 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph

If only the tow vehicle or the trailer has brakes, I would pick the tow vehicle. With that weight, versus a lite assed pick-up truck, that is a formula for jack knifing.

I'm never towing in the snow and I got anti-lock ankles. I ain't jackknifing squat ;)

But your law quote is bizarre. There is no way that brakes on the trailer are law in NY. Perhaps over a certain GVW, but that weight has gotta be <4 ton. I could nab 10 trailers from garden to car and every boat in between, and I bet I wouldn't find a single brake between them.

I think I got a guy. I'll get it sorted.

Other than that, just here for y'alls amusement...

When we last left off, they kept it one more day because they found a puddle. I came back the next day and he said the line needed a quarter turn. That's it. Wasted my whole GD evening over an insufficient wrench. Corporate spin and stops, man, how do they work? =p

So that's that, or so I thought. Brakes are marvelous. Pedal throw and feel unlike any I could remember in that ride. But within a day, I hear a pulse. Annoying, but whatever. I got new brakes.

Maybe 3 days after that, I hear a click. A pulsing click. Swerve around a bit, get it to stop and start, son of a... now the bearing's going. Not a bad fix, and one pretty much due, but damn, can a dude get a reprieve? But whatever again, it's a bearing. I can nurse this a month, easy.

2 days after that and it's loud. The next day I go to help my grandparents, and I worry about even making it home. And no way can a bearing be going that quickly, so what could it be? Oh! I just had work done. No tie rod for a brake job, so... no. No f#$%ing way. Swerve a bit to start and stop...son of a...it's opposite a bearing. These c#$%s couldn't have left my wheel loose, no way.

Get home ready to diagnose. Remove dust caps from lugs. Of 12 nuts, SIX came off with the cap. THREE MORE came off with my fingers. So without even touching a tool, I've got 4/6 off one wheel and 5/6 off the other.

Whoever still thinks my woes are of my making, I ask you to reconsider =p

But whatever, again, there's no damage. And hey, let's really be Jesus about this. I call the dude. Kind of laugh and tell him to tell the guys to turn up their regulators. Explain the whole story to him. He's aghast, like literally aghast, and assures me he's already dialing to the higher ups. I laugh it all off and wish him good day. Hang up. Bang my tires back on. Time to test.

Swerve a little down the road, swerve my way back home. I hear a weird noise. Must've ran something over, it's not me truck. Me truck is completely fixed. No bearing, just looseness, no damage, fixed easily. I happily go back to the car.

30 pass and I need the tunes louder, and shucks, but where could my phone be? Not here, nor there, and I've not gone anywhere except the test drive... and I didn't have it then. The phone call, that's last I had it. And I hung up, set it.... truck? No, not there. It'd have fallen off...in driveway? Nah, while swerv..... THE NOISE! ><

Crushed my phone all to s#$%.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 5th, 2017 at 8:13:56 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 12
Quote: Face
But your law quote is bizarre. There is no way that brakes on the trailer are law in NY.
Google it. Your a professional race car driver now. It ain't like your running moonshine.
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
Page 76 of 76« First<73747576