Racin' With Face

Page 78 of 79« First<7576777879>
November 21st, 2017 at 4:00:30 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 18
Quote: Face
No jacking bolts has caused 5+ guys to quit pursuing.
What are jacking bolts?

And how do you make this look so easy?
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
November 21st, 2017 at 6:37:06 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph
What are jacking bolts?

This...

It allows changing of the ride height to move weight around the vehicle. Heard of "adding wedge"? This is how it's done. In our cars, we gotta remove the shock from inside the spring and create an outboard mount; it'll likely sit exposed just ahead of the knuckle. In the space afforded by its removal, install some plates and this big bolt. Twist one way and that corner goes up, other way for down. Not the hardest thing in the world, but it is a bit of a faff especially if you need to source skilled labor. I know it's not something I'd just wing.

Quote: petro
And how do you make this look so easy?

Anger, mostly. I've all but quit hockey so it's either wrench or stew.

I kid. Real talk is it's not. With winter here and all hustles at full stop, all my homework time is this. Two capable guys could've done this in a solid evening. I have to look at each thing, determine wtf it is (min 30 min affair), htf to remove it (another 15) and then do it solo. Some s#$%, like the rad / rad shroud / rad mount assembly, or the Christing hood, are a right bitch to get off. Too big and too little room for a solo affair. As such this is very piecemeal and took me probably 3 weeks.

The actual easy is that it's a race car. There's just nothing there except what's needed to go and stop. No climate, no lighting, no EPA. And race cars don't see snow, so the only things "frozen" are easy things, like the rad hose to the rad. One time I had to tap the ratchet with a hammer, for the steering pump, I think. Every single other thing comes off easy as you want. It's a refreshing change, I tell you what.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 28th, 2017 at 5:20:03 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Oh, sure. Just jack it up and roll it right out. How hard can it be?

About as hard as jacking it up and rolling it right out.

Went as easy as you could imagine a thing to go. Plus I drilled out a sweet set of mag wheels off a Thunderbird to fit my hubs, so now I got a thin, hard set of rubber to roll around on, instead of 8" slicks that go flat every two days. Progress!

Next stop, frame shop.
November 28th, 2017 at 8:03:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 116
Jingle bells, your fave time of year is
here. Are you mainlining pain killers
or just using pills.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 28th, 2017 at 1:59:19 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
Jingle bells, your fave time of year is
here. Are you mainlining pain killers
or just using pills.

John 8:12 and ibuprofen. 3rd most parcels in the entire country, and did it with but 4 people. Still ain't tired.

In car news, this whole "guardian angel" nonsense mom keeps spouting is getting harder and harder to ignore. I can't really remember so many barriers being put in my way, and it is completely laughable at this point. Fortunately I seemed to have broken my giveadamn, so laughing is what I've been doing.

It started with the frame shop. A long story with a few laughs aside, I just couldn't make the schedule work what with it being the holidays. Dude says it's real easy; all that needs be done is take a few measurements. Easy enough, right? He's gonna send me the schematics, just measure and match. No problem. I get them and there's just no rhyme or reason to it. I mean, it makes perfect sense, it's as easy as pie, but my measurements just aren't even in the same ballpark. And they're off not as if it had been crushed, but as if it had exploded. Just all wrong any way you slice it. So f#$% it, we'll skip that part. Time to go in for fab. Call my guy... and no answer.

Dude has been reliable to a fault. Always instant pick up, or certain call back dead on 1800. Went a whole day without a peep back. Then another. I get a hold of his kid, and after a "Who dis?", he similarly ghosts me. Now I'm wondering wtf I did or said as it appeared I wound up persona non grata. I eventually had one of those "tell someone who called the wife who told the husband who called the father" type deals and got my call back. No worries, just drunk on the holidays. Phew. Good thing too because I had to have Little Brother come over and help me hump the motorless husk onto the trailer in the middle of a winter night and now the thing was stuck outside. But we made our date and I was gonna run it out after work at a deep hour on Xmas Eve eve. All is well.

Morning comes, go to leave, and my envelope is gone. $2k+, a year's worth of reffing, roofing, and side job slaving, just gone. I check here, there and everywhere, probably 6 or 7 different squirrel stashes and it's not in any one of them. Motherf#$%er.

But the show must go on. It's passed a dream now. I do not care how Pyrrhic it gets, it will not end as a failure. '19, '20, '21, I don't care. I forget the money and head on out.

Remember "I don't tow in the snow"? Well, this man, who makes it point to go out every single time it storms for winter driving exercises and always takes the unplowed back roads, is telling you it was the #1 worst weather I have ever driven in, and it's not even close. I popped my driving cherry on a closed interstate during the blizzard of '96 and that didn't hold a candle to this s#$%. It pissed rain the entire morning and then began to snow. And I dunno wtf is wrong with Lakeview, but they just do not run plows. Several times my mail truck has been the plow, and this at 1100hrs. It's just nasty out, and now it's snowing hard. At one point I finally hit a main road a plow has gone down and there is, no lie, any easy 4" of solid ice on the roads. You could see where the plow skipped and gouged the surface, some 2" deep gashes, and it wasn't baring an inch of asphalt. I've driven on frozen ponds that had more grip than this, it was just wretched. By the time I finished the route I for the first time in my life felt driving anxiety. I think it was parking the mail truck on a hill and watching it slide down the street while in park that set it off. Or maybe it was almost taking out the bollards when I finally got back to my rig and it wouldn't stop despite me only going 3mph that did it. Either way, all stoicism was kaput, and here I go toolin' off into downtown Buffalo. Weeee!

It wasn't terrible, but it was bad. Some wet spots had started to develop which at least gave me an out, but there was no telling whether the rough spots within were just slush or as-of-yet-unmelted ice. Most of them I found to be still ice, and made for some interesting red lights. I managed pretty well, taking all these saved up "slow driving trips" I've never used and drove like the rest of the jagoffs doing 20 under. In all, it went pretty well with red lights being the only exception. A few times I had to press extra hard to ensure the backs were locking up, too. And, uh... any guess as to what happens when you "push extra hard" on a truck with 185k NY miles on it?

BLEW THE F#$%ING BRAKES OUT OF IT AGAIN. Weeeee!

So I'm dead balls in the city, as far away from home as I get. It's snowing buckets, temp's dropping fast as my patience, it's night, and dude has to bounce for Xmas shopping. Only one thing to do. Choo-choo mf'ers, this Pain Train is rolling right at ya.

I honestly didn't know they were blown when I set off. I got that "long pedal" feel and tried to convinced myself that the adjuster hadn't caught up with all the hard presses. Tip toeing through the city, trying to make all the red lights while also trying not to puke all the fluid out of the system, going over crash protocol and thanking the gods for all the soft snowbanks everywhere. I slow for the roundabout, was able to slow, and said f#$% it before piling onto the Skyway.

I'm on high alert now, bangin' 65-70 with no escape route, brain in deep yellow starting to go orange. So, just because it...well, "just because", there was no surprise at all when a car pulled up to pace me with a fella inside waving about. Funny how unfamiliar men just have a way with the non verbal communicay. Took but 2 glances before I knew the commotion. Took a look and, yup, GD taillight and plate are being ripped along and bounced down the road, not really connected to the trailer anymore. I thanked him for the notice, as well as the 8 other people who advised before I could get off the highway. Welcooome to the showwww...

THAT'S when I realized I done plum run outta brakes.

I had some. Granted, it took about 2,500' to stop, but I did get it stopped. Scavenged some zip ties from elsewhere, reattached what was left of the brake light (literally just the bulb which somehow was still alight), and the plate (put on backwards and upside down cuz f#$% it). And since it was late, and cold, and I had literally just finished 4 straight weeks of 3rd in the nation parcel slinging, Death's nearing presence had zero effect. Back onto the highway I went.

It wasn't bad in practice, just bad for the nerves. With the weather already causing incredible slow downs, I wasn't that out of place at my severely reduced rate of speed. Two intersections were a bit confounding what with having to downshift an auto while having to use the same hand to keep the brake lock unlocked with one leg wayyy up high to manipulate the E-brake. T'was such a contortion i couldn't use my left arm for anything and I felt as if I was driving one of the very first cars ever made. Or perhaps one made by non-humans. Once passed those, I pranced onto my backroads and between the weather and the holiday, was blissfully traffic free as I busted every stop sign and intersection the rest of the way home in what anyone not from here would call a blizzard.

I dunno why I even bother. I've already shown the skill and stupidity necessary to win. Just gimme the trophy and let me rest =p

Oh, and I did find the money pile. Just hid it somewhere I never hide anything. Cash is there, car is gone, Xmas is over, truck is fixed... not a bad way to start '18.

Meppy NeXmaer to all =)
December 28th, 2017 at 2:35:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
"Morning comes, go to leave, and my envelope is gone. $2k+,"

I hide money in the worst VHS
I have, some crappy movie at
the bottom of the pile from
the 80's. Nobody would ever
look there in a hundred years,
or even steal it if they had the
chance. Who even has a VCR
anymore.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 29th, 2017 at 12:26:21 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 5
VERY proud of you for surviving the package torrent! Happy New Year. Don't freeze off any important body parts this week.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
March 5th, 2018 at 3:42:34 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 127
Been quite a few years since I went to Disney World. Saw this in my side bar today.

It's just like NASCAR. You ride in complete darkness, up a hill Lol.

Most of it is pretty tame except for one section looks like it might generate 1 g in the turns.

Nobody learned anything from the global financial crisis.
March 5th, 2018 at 6:24:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine
Been quite a few years since I went to Disney World. Saw this in my side bar today.

People pay money for that? Just ride on the
freeway with my wife driving if you want
scary..
March 14th, 2018 at 7:23:35 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 127
Got a project for you FACE. This is an awesome slot track.

Nobody learned anything from the global financial crisis.
Page 78 of 79« First<7576777879>