Racin' With Face

Page 78 of 78« First<75767778
November 21st, 2017 at 4:00:30 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 17
Quote: Face
No jacking bolts has caused 5+ guys to quit pursuing.
What are jacking bolts?

And how do you make this look so easy?
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
November 21st, 2017 at 6:37:06 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph
What are jacking bolts?

This...

It allows changing of the ride height to move weight around the vehicle. Heard of "adding wedge"? This is how it's done. In our cars, we gotta remove the shock from inside the spring and create an outboard mount; it'll likely sit exposed just ahead of the knuckle. In the space afforded by its removal, install some plates and this big bolt. Twist one way and that corner goes up, other way for down. Not the hardest thing in the world, but it is a bit of a faff especially if you need to source skilled labor. I know it's not something I'd just wing.

Quote: petro
And how do you make this look so easy?

Anger, mostly. I've all but quit hockey so it's either wrench or stew.

I kid. Real talk is it's not. With winter here and all hustles at full stop, all my homework time is this. Two capable guys could've done this in a solid evening. I have to look at each thing, determine wtf it is (min 30 min affair), htf to remove it (another 15) and then do it solo. Some s#$%, like the rad / rad shroud / rad mount assembly, or the Christing hood, are a right bitch to get off. Too big and too little room for a solo affair. As such this is very piecemeal and took me probably 3 weeks.

The actual easy is that it's a race car. There's just nothing there except what's needed to go and stop. No climate, no lighting, no EPA. And race cars don't see snow, so the only things "frozen" are easy things, like the rad hose to the rad. One time I had to tap the ratchet with a hammer, for the steering pump, I think. Every single other thing comes off easy as you want. It's a refreshing change, I tell you what.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 28th, 2017 at 5:20:03 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61
Oh, sure. Just jack it up and roll it right out. How hard can it be?

About as hard as jacking it up and rolling it right out.

Went as easy as you could imagine a thing to go. Plus I drilled out a sweet set of mag wheels off a Thunderbird to fit my hubs, so now I got a thin, hard set of rubber to roll around on, instead of 8" slicks that go flat every two days. Progress!

Next stop, frame shop.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 28th, 2017 at 8:03:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 111
Jingle bells, your fave time of year is
here. Are you mainlining pain killers
or just using pills.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 78 of 78« First<75767778