Racin' With Face

Page 80 of 80« First<77787980
November 19th, 2018 at 4:38:28 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Face
Quote: Ayecarumba
Formula 3 driver goes airborne @ 170+ mph during Macau Grand Prix.
Sophia Floersch is only 17, and damaged her spine in the crash.

Crazy video, only shows the car airborne, like a cruise missile slamming in the second story of a building behind a media pen. It's frightening how fast she was going.

Saw from slightly different angle, looking down that exiting straight. Never saw it coming, and couldn't really see it when it did. Insane the speed she still had. Never expected it with how slow everyone else was.

Heard it was a loss of wheel that caused it. Would explain the seeming nonexistence of deceleration. If you're at 170 when everyone else is at 45,.... there's not a driver bad enough to make that mistake. And to hit top first, of all places...

Eesh.
It seemed like her foot was stuck on the accelerator, as the car would have naturally slowed if she lifted., but maybe she was airborne immediately after the initial crash. There's almost no arc in her flight path. The ground effects must have turned her chassis into a wing.
November 19th, 2018 at 5:00:09 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 133
Ricky Bobby couldn't make a turn at that speed.
Nobody learned anything from the global financial crisis.
November 20th, 2018 at 9:23:23 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: rxwine
Ricky Bobby couldn't make a turn at that speed.
Hehe... Kudos to the engineering that allowed her to survive a deceleration from 150+ mph, to zero in 12 feet.

Seems the Japanese guy in the car she used as a speed bump before clearing the fence almost got his head taken off too.
November 20th, 2018 at 2:35:47 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61
Quote: Ayecarumba
Hehe... Kudos to the engineering that allowed her to survive a deceleration from 150+ mph, to zero in 12 feet.

Get out of my head. Burned a whole street daydreaming about exactly this.

I forget the incident, but the highest G load ever survived came from racing. Can't remember exactly, but it's in the neighborhood of 200G's. Two Hundred. Like, for a fraction of a second, I'd "weight" 40,000 f#$%ing pounds. Was something like 160 to 0 in twenty inches or something absurd.

Quote: Aye
Seems the Japanese guy in the car she used as a speed bump before clearing the fence almost got his head taken off too.

The engineering from top to bottom is something I could (and have) spent hours upon hours, not so much "researching", but just diving into because it's supremely interesting. I mean, the little stalk that holds the wing mirror is like $3k. Each. The tolerances in the motors are so incredibly fine, the motor is essentially "seized" when at ambient temp. They need to have heated coolant pumped through them until the entire system reaches operating temps before you can even turn it over, as the "coldness" of an 80* day on a 120* track has constricted the metal too much. Every single curve, bulge, dimple, divot, crease, every shape of every thing is honed to force the air in the perfect spot on the next part, top AND bottom. So much so that a specific corner can't be taken at 80 or you'd crash, or at 90, or 100, or 120, but must be hit at 150+ to have the aero grip. The whole... just everything about all of it churns my mind up something wonderful.

And at the core of all that, a tiny cabin which must tolerate 200G's without pulverizing the bit of meat inside. And as f#$%ed as it is to think about it, it actually does. Without consulting actual stats, it seems that a large majority of fatalities have come due to freak occurrences, usually strikes to the head. When's the last time you heard of a compromised cabin? Cars explode into twice as many parts as it took to build it, two - three more cars pile into it while it tumbles, and more often than not it all ends with a wave to the crowd as he walks himself into the meat wagon.

Absolutely mental.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 8th, 2019 at 8:28:47 AM permalink
Face
Administrator
Forgot where I was talking about winches, so I'll carry on in the thread it should have been in =p

So power supply. Obviously this thing needs a battery, but in thinking about my summer, I'm not that keen on having JUST a battery. It seems my tender is already being tossed all over the place between keeping the wheeler, boat, and (hopefully soon) a race car all at full power. Adding a fourth area to tend is already 3 more places than I want to, and there's nothing quite as useless as an unpowered winch, so...

How do you keep 'em juiced? Can't I just run another wire off the alternator, string through the truck, add a quick connect, and basically daisy chain the trailer into the truck? The project would be easier than trying to stretch one tender across 3-4 different vehicles -_-

How many smoke alarms would one need to make a very small nuclear reactor?
January 8th, 2019 at 1:24:06 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 21
So power supply. Obviously this thing needs a battery, but in thinking about my summer, I'm not that keen on having JUST a battery. It seems my tender is already being tossed all over the place between keeping the wheeler, boat, and (hopefully soon) a race car all at full power.
You shouldn't have to be chasing that all that hard? A disconnect on/off on the boat is a good idea. We pretty much just put in new boat batteries every other year, unless somebody left the ignition on. : ) I see guys with chargers wired inside their boats ? I don't think you should have to plug the boat in all the time when your not using it. I think those little cheap solar chargers are the way to go, that and a battery switch. Do that and you shouldn't have any trouble. I always bumped the ignition switch before I headed for the water, and kept jumpers on board. Hopefully for "the other guy".

Did I already tell my story pole about getting hit by a ship? I'm sure it made me a better mariner, but it was really scary. It took me to a place beyond fear where I realized it wasn't helping anymore .

The wheeler is going down? Do you check fluid level at least once per year in all your batteries ?

Quote:
Adding a fourth area to tend is already 3 more places than I want to, and there's nothing quite as useless as an unpowered winch, so...
They still make a decent anchor. hehe

Quote:
How do you keep 'em juiced? Can't I just run another wire off the alternator, string through the truck, add a quick connect, and basically daisy chain the trailer into the truck?
I think your modern pickup came with the standard 7 prong trailer plug? One of those is a charging wire, hopefully it has a solenoid inline, so it won't drain the truck when it's not running? But it's only like 16 gauge or something. It would take #4 or #2 to run adequate juice to a winch battery from the front of the truck. Most trailers over 2400lbs, have a battery box mounted on the tongue, which that wire charges. You could put one on there and maybe fake out 5-0 when he looks ? Don't scare off any of our Baja sponsors. They seem to be sensitive to bad press. Lucas oil just dropped the lower Colorado for hydro races. : (

Quote:
How many smoke alarms would one need to make a very small nuclear reactor?
Hopefully none, I don't mind getting nuked so much, as knowing it's going to happen. A little radiation ain't bad.
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
January 8th, 2019 at 1:57:48 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Quote: petroglyph
You shouldn't have to be chasing that all that hard? A disconnect on/off on the boat is a good idea. We pretty much just put in new boat batteries every other year, unless somebody left the ignition on. : ) I see guys with chargers wired inside their boats ? I don't think you should have to plug the boat in all the time when your not using it. I think those little cheap solar chargers are the way to go, that and a battery switch. Do that and you shouldn't have any trouble. I always bumped the ignition switch before I headed for the water, and kept jumpers on board. Hopefully for "the other guy".

I dunno, me and batteries never get along. Wheelers and bikes just shake them to death and I'm not spending $70 every GD year, so I have to keep them 100% fully charged. Anything less is a bump start situation because they're beat to death. And the lack of use plus cold ass winters kill the rest of the toys. I might have remembered to remove every one of them this year, but they still got trapped behind a bunch of winterized stuff and are but in the garage. And, ever since my Husky died, I cannot find a quality jump box. I'd be better served walking around toting an extra 12v =p

Quote: petro
Did I already tell my story pole about getting hit by a ship? I'm sure it made me a better mariner, but it was really scary. It took me to a place beyond fear where I realized it wasn't helping anymore .

You keep threatening to. Still haven't heard it =p

Quote: petro
The wheeler is going down? Do you check fluid level at least once per year in all your batteries ?

Lol, do what now? What is this, 1987?

I can't remember the last serviceable battery I've seen. In fact, I can't even remember seeing a serviceable battery. The only thing close was one fresh from the factory that hadn't been assembled yet. I added the acid and sealed it up. And that's the only kind of battery I know of.

I vaguely recall reading something something and only use distilled water. I play it safe and use nothing =p
January 8th, 2019 at 3:07:25 PM permalink
petroglyph
lol, do what now? What is this, 1987?

I can't remember the last serviceable battery I've seen. In fact, I can't even remember seeing a serviceable battery. The only thing close was one fresh from the factory that hadn't been assembled yet. I added the acid and sealed it up. And that's the only kind of battery I know of.

I vaguely recall reading something something and only use distilled water. I play it safe and use nothing =p
I don't think the batteries in either of our trucks, or my camper are "serviceable". But when I didn't think they were charging right, I checked them, and sure enough the electrolytic was almost uncovering the cells.

Take a screwdriver out to your truck with a flashlight, without a cigarette and pop the two tops off of the battery covering the cells. How's the liquid level in them? Is there at least 3/4 inch of water over the top? If not, when you get on an incline the cells are exposed and start breaking down right away.

When I lived up north, everyone told me how bad the super cold was on battery's. Then we moved here, everyone says how hard the heat is on battery's. I think heat is worse, I think it causes the electrolytic to evaporate.

Go look, and tell me you can't pop the tops to access and view the acid . If you have a relatively newer battery and it isn't putting out more than 12 volts, I would guess at least one cell is drying out. I bought one of those dental mirrors for molars, for two batteries I can't get to, and top add water with a big syringe. Serviceable or not, I think they don't want ignorant people in there? What changed in battery tech in the last 70 years that made them unserviceable?

I use distilled water.
January 8th, 2019 at 3:38:11 PM permalink
petroglyph
https://www.lifewire.com/when-does-a-battery-need-electrolyte-instead-of-water-534621

Did you get a digital voltmeter yet? Check the voltage on a low liquid level battery, then after adding distilled water and running/or charging it for awhile, check the voltage again.

What is the drop on the winch battery under full load?

Electricity is not your friend, contrary to Bill Murray in Groundhog day.

I hate 12 volts dc , and it hates me right back.
Page 80 of 80« First<77787980