No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (16.66%)

18 members have voted

September 26th, 2020 at 8:08:20 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Why doesn't the Republican party want the Chinese/American vote?
You would think they would try to attract one of the highest educated and hardest working demographic in this country
But instead
The Republican party has decided they dont want these voters.
Weird and sad

https://www.newsweek.com/164-republicans-voted-against-resolution-condemning-covid-racism-against-asian-americans-1532750

My Mother personally heard hate. Typically it was "Go back to your country", a wife of a US Korean war vet
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 26th, 2020 at 8:50:35 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
Why doesn't the Republican party want the Chinese/American vote?
You would think they would try to attract one of the highest educated and hardest working demographic in this country
But instead
The Republican party has decided they dont want these voters.
Weird and sad

https://www.newsweek.com/164-republicans-voted-against-resolution-condemning-covid-racism-against-asian-americans-1532750

My Mother personally heard hate. Typically it was "Go back to your country", a wife of a US Korean war vet

Here is the actuall bill:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-resolution/908/text

I fail to see how calling it the Chinese virus or the Whu Hun Flu is racist.
Is the Spanish Flu or Lymes disease racist?
Things are often names where they originate.
And, China acted very badly.

All that being said, if this encourages votes for Dems, I'll take it.
September 26th, 2020 at 9:28:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler

All that being said, if this encourages votes for Dems, I'll take it.

It isn't racist.

Don't waste time with people waiting to be offended. Life is too short.
The President is a fink.
September 26th, 2020 at 10:49:21 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Gandler
Here is the actuall bill:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-resolution/908/text

It isn’t necessary and it’s fodder for racists. Many Chinese don’t even live in China. The vast majority of people in the city where it originated are just as innocent as everyone else.

I remember when AIDS was being called the GAY disease was common and discussion was of which one of them had sex with a monkey in Africa. Is that the road you want to go down? Have people been attacked just for being Asian in association with the virus. Google it. I remember after 911 someone killed a Shikh(sp?) for looking Arab. Spanish flu wasn’t even accurately named.

If you don’t believe in stigma look at Typhoid Mary. Worked on her. But no reason to associate something negative when it is not accurate.

Disney wants to be known as the Happiest Place on Earth, not The place where alligators eat your toddler.
The Virus has a proper designation. What’s the problem with using it?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 26th, 2020 at 11:32:56 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Look what arrived in the mail today. 😍 Time to vote this mofo outta there.

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 26th, 2020 at 3:40:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Biden says he came to the Senate
180 years ago. What it probably
said was he came in 1988 and he
read it wrong. Funny stuff from
Dementia Joe..

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 26th, 2020 at 4:15:33 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
It isn’t necessary and it’s fodder for racists. Many Chinese don’t even live in China. The vast majority of people in the city where it originated are just as innocent as everyone else.

It is from China so calling it the china virus is no big deal. People that worry it is racist need to find something serious to worry about.
The President is a fink.
September 26th, 2020 at 9:46:13 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine

I remember when AIDS was being called the GAY disease was common and discussion was of which one of them had sex with a monkey in Africa. Is that the road you want to go down? Have people been attacked just for being Asian in association with the virus. Google it. I remember after 911 someone killed a Shikh(sp?) for looking Arab. Spanish flu wasn’t even accurately named.

If you don’t believe in stigma look at Typhoid Mary. Worked on her. But no reason to associate something negative when it is not accurate.

Disney wants to be known as the Happiest Place on Earth, not The place where alligators eat your toddler.
The Virus has a proper designation. What’s the problem with using it?

"Whereas in March 2020, anti-Asian violence includes: a woman wearing a mask was kicked and punched at a New York City subway station; two children and two adults were stabbed at a wholesale grocery in Midland, Texas; a couple was assaulted and robbed by a group of attackers in Philadelphia; and a 16-year-old boy was sent to the hospital after being attacked by bullies in Los Angeles, California;"

A lot of this sounds like typical city violence.... I am not sure if these are anti-Chinese hate. If this is what the bill cites as examples of anti-Chinese hate crimes, I am unconvinced.

Bill Maher actually said it pretty perfectly:
"Viruses come from China like shortstops come from the Dominican Republic"

https://youtu.be/dEfDwc2G2_8.

It's not racist to point out the history and corruption of where things come from.

The only people I have ever met in my life that were racist against Asians (if that's even the right word), is other Asians, I live in a pretty diverse area, and the way some Asians talk about Asians from other countries, if white people talked that way..... I used to work with a lot of old school South Vietnamese refugees (from after the North's aggressive takeover escaped) who when they spoke about China, if I said some of the things that they said, I would be sent to HR.....

China is not a good country, and communism is not a good system, and their intentional glossing over of problems arising from their markets is pure corruption. This has nothing to do with all Chinese citizens being evil.

People still call AIDS the gay disease. But, that's not an apt comparison. AIDs spread to humans from eating monkey meat. Showing that AIDS is a problem in the gay community was not homophobic (well for some it was/is) it saved millions by causing awareness.

I am aware of the Sikh incident, not sure how that is relevant to tracing the orgins of disease (that was stereotyping -wrongly- after a terror attack).

The bottom line is, nobody reasonable is afraid or hateful of asians because of COVID-19 (and if they are, its probably just an excuse for their already existing hate), nobody wants to harm asians, and the attacks cited in the bill are completely unconvincing of hate-crimes (it sounds like everyday violence in those cities to put it bluntly), and we should be allowed to talk about the corruption in China (not just with COVID but historically) of covering things without being called racist.

And, wet markets in China need far better health and saftey regulations.
September 26th, 2020 at 11:50:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Surely you can talk about corruption in China or any bad thing in China like human trafficking by naming the specific sources. It's not every Chinese person.

Intelligent people properly criticize the Iranian government when it is specifically the Iranian government. Or Bashar Al-Assad if he's responsible for barrel bombing. And so on with other things as well.

See above, I didn't give you a PC reason to not use it. I gave you logical reason to blame the specific cause or specific people. You want to hang with the ignorant and bigots instead and call it Chinese virus? Then that's your team I guess.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 27th, 2020 at 12:58:55 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I took most of the 20th century until people didn't regularly refer to the 1918 flu as the "Spanish flu".

Within just a few generations, the continents of the Americas were virtually emptied of their native inhabitants – some academics estimate that approximately 20 million people may have died in the years following the European invasion – up to 95% of the population of the Americas.No medieval force, no matter how bloodthirsty, could have achieved such enormous levels of genocide. Instead, Europeans were aided by a deadly secret weapon they weren't even aware they were carrying: Smallpox.

Quote: AZDuffman
It is from China so calling it the china virus is no big deal.

Researchers have been struggling for decades to eradicate ethnic names from the disease.

Europeans were only smallpox carriers because they had been living in close proximity to large mammals for thousands of years and periodic population devastations had made them largely immune to the disease. Indigenous American farmed only one large mammal – the llama – and even this was geographically isolated. The llama was never kept indoors, it wasn't milked and only occasionally eaten – so the people of the New World were not troubled by cross-species viral infection.