Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: OnceDear
Cool. Who's winning this time?

China.
November 25th, 2020 at 8:10:03 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
When you put together everything that Trump was doing, he was far from draining the swamp.

In fact he was doing nearly everything an aspiring dictator would do to consolidate more and more power into the Presidency. I didn't pay that much attention to this recent executive order. Sounded like a typical conservative wishlist type thing.

Quote:

A new executive order from President Trump makes it easier to hire and fire civil servants that work on policy, stripping some protections from career employees before a potential change in administration.

Not a new idea among conservatives. BUT, there's this.

Quote:
The order also allows the Trump administration to place political appointees into career positions, bypassing the merit-based system typically required in the hiring process. And while it allows employees to be fired for performance reasons with little recourse, it bars dismissing employees "on the basis of the employee's partisan affiliation."

If you haven't already been impressed by the number of people Trump can and has replaced at will you haven't been paying attention. His attempt to replace everyone with yesman cronies fortunately hasn't always paid off, but you can't give Trump any credit for lack of trying.

And that executive order was just more of it. IMPRESSIVE, but not in a good way. Good riddance to this man. The one thing he didn't need was even more power.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 2nd, 2020 at 6:28:34 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Biden crosses 81 million votes.

One of the great joys of this election is seeing the Trumpsters pretending that Donny getting 74 million votes is somehow meaningful...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 2nd, 2020 at 7:11:41 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: ams288

One of the great joys of this election is seeing the Trumpsters pretending that Donny getting 74 million votes is somehow meaningful...

This is excellent, historic victory against an incumbent.

He is the most popular Presidential Canidate in history (by vote count).
December 2nd, 2020 at 7:33:22 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler

This is excellent, historic victory against an incumbent.

He is the most popular Presidential Canidate in history (by vote count).

Democrats must be tired from digging all those people up.
The President is a fink.
December 2nd, 2020 at 8:34:19 AM permalink
ams288
Quote: AZDuffman

Democrats must be tired from digging all those people up.

Republicans killed them with their disastrous COVID response.

Dems dug them up just in time to send Donny packing.

Worked out nicely!
December 2nd, 2020 at 9:12:38 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Republicans killed them with their disastrous COVID response.

Dems dug them up just in time to send Donny packing.

Worked out nicely!

Ironic, considering the only person charged with voting for a dead person in the last election is a republican.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 2nd, 2020 at 9:30:37 AM permalink
ams288
Quote: Dalex64
Ironic, considering the only person charged with voting for a dead person in the last election is a republican.

Yeah, but Duffman is impervious to facts.

Just got to mock his nonsense and carry on.
December 6th, 2020 at 4:10:21 PM permalink
ams288
https://www.axios.com/trump-biden-inauguration-florida-rally-78b56134-54ae-4113-ad0a-ae29cd5c7be1.html

Quote:
President Trump is considering a made-for-TV grand finale: a White House departure on Marine One and final Air Force One flight to Florida for a political rally opposite Joe Biden's inauguration, sources familiar with the discussions tell Axios.

See ya, Donny!
December 29th, 2020 at 7:16:14 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
On June 10th, 2020:

Quote: Mission146

MY POPULAR VOTE PREDICTION:

Trump 45.3%, Biden 48.5% (+/- 1% for both)

Again, plenty of time on the clock for something major to happen.

Okay, so giving me my one percent leeway it becomes Biden 49.5% and Trump 46.3% for a predicted margin of victory for Biden of 3.2%.

ACTUAL RESULTS:

Biden: 51.4%
Trump 46.9%

Excellent turnout for both candidates which I'm sure was helped even more by the bitter partisan divide, the fact that there's something of a Trump/No Trump divide even beyond that, Trump bringing in new voters, mobilization, early voting and mail-in voting.

Basically, I was expecting something in the neighborhood of 4-5% (minimum) to go third-party and over 98% voted for one candidate or the other.

In total, about 7.831M people voted third-party (or not even running/write-in) for the 2016 Election. That compares to only 2.898M voting third-party in 2020...which is just really sad. I knew third-party candidates (on net) would not perform as well in 2020 due to the absence of both Green Party Jill Stein and Libertarian Gary Johnson replaced by less well-known candidates, but I'd have never predicted it would be that bad. Initially, I thought the raw numbers wouldn't be so far off...just that the somewhat less number of third-party votes was just diluted by how many Dem/Rep votes there were.

But, nope. Short of a strong Independent candidate (perhaps Trump in 2024?) this is probably third-parties going out with a whimper rather than a bang. It's over. Nobody will ever realize that two-party domination is really the same thing as one party domination, at least in terms of out of control Federal spending. The founding principles of the framers of this country are now almost completely nullified, but mostly because the Electoral College was a terrible idea and this sort of thing was an inevitability.

I'm also salty because my prediction sucked, although, my margin of victory prediction was basically within reason given the margins of error.

Anyone wanting to accuse me of bias will note that my margin of victory prediction was more favorable to Trump than what actually happened. Without mail-in voting, I think it would have been closer to my guess.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
Page 312 of 313« First<309310311312313>