I Side With

Page 2 of 10<12345>Last »
June 10th, 2020 at 8:29:06 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Mission146

FRGamble,

I've got to say, I looked at the platform and I basically either 100% support or 100% oppose almost every single thing on it!

That is probably because it is informed by religious views which never fit into political ones. It is very hard to vote as a faithful Catholic because in both parties there are things I 100% support and things I 100% oppose.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 10th, 2020 at 8:31:44 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Deleted, wrong person.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 10th, 2020 at 8:37:11 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: FrGamble
That is probably because it is informed by religious views which never fit into political ones. It is very hard to vote as a faithful Catholic because in both parties there are things I 100% support and things I 100% oppose.

I could definitely understand the dilemma, but by its very nature, voting for a particular candidate almost always requires a tradeoff of some kind, even third-party candidates. I'm not a pure Libertarian on weapons, for example, because I don't necessarily think civilians should really own anti-aircraft missiles. I'm also probably going to draw a pretty hard line on tank ownership.

I don't care so much what third-parties people consider/vote for (or if they don't vote for them) as long as people are opening their minds and considering. And, it sounds like we could certainly do worse than Brian Carroll. I think the states should decide on abortion individually and by direct vote, anyway. Prevailing moral opinions, and all. Religion informs moral set, moral set informs politics; all copacetic from where I stand.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 10th, 2020 at 11:31:28 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
87% Trump
39% Jorgensen
31% Biden
17% Cuomo
10% Carroll
2% Hawkins

Not surprising. If it wasn't for Trump being so immature, I would vote for him. I generally agree with his platforms. Also not surprising that Libertarian beat out Democrat. If that party was more mainstream I could see myself aligning a bit more with it.
June 10th, 2020 at 11:53:25 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO

Not surprising. If it wasn't for Trump being so immature, I would vote for him.

You're hilarious. You don't want
the best qualified for the job,
you think this is voting for prom
king, so you want the best looking
and well mannered. Yeah, he's
a moron but look how cute and
polite he is. Unbeliveable.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 10th, 2020 at 1:44:55 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Evenbob
You're hilarious. You don't want
the best qualified for the job,
you think this is voting for prom
king, so you want the best looking
and well mannered. Yeah, he's
a moron but look how cute and
polite he is. Unbeliveable.

Bob, I want my President to not have hissy fits against the media. I want my President to not use childish tweets as a modus operandi. I agree with you that the country is better off with his policies than any of the options the Democrats have offered up. I want a president who is BOTH aligned with me policy wise, AND well mannered. Sadly, I have no real option this election cycle.
June 10th, 2020 at 1:52:40 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
Bob, I want my President to not have hissy fits against the media. I want my President to not use childish tweets as a modus operandi. I agree with you that the country is better off with his policies than any of the options the Democrats have offered up. I want a president who is BOTH aligned with me policy wise, AND well mannered. Sadly, I have no real option this election cycle.

A GOP POTUS cannot afford to be "well mannered" in this day and age. Bush43 tried that and got torn to pieces.
The President is a fink.
June 10th, 2020 at 1:53:36 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Mission146

Dalex64,

I honestly have no idea what Cuomo is doing on there. He was on my Top 6, but I didn't list him because I've no idea what he has to do with POTUS race.

Optimistically, you could say it was for informational purposes only.

Pessimistically, I think they have an ulterior motive for pointing out to people how closely he might be a match for them, to try to put pressure on the DNC to make him the candidate instead of Biden.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
June 10th, 2020 at 2:14:55 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
According to the test I align 71% with Jo Jorgenson [Independent],

70% with Trump

65% with Brian Carroll [Solidarity]

I think the test was biased to give questions that the answers to them could steer participants.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 10th, 2020 at 2:45:44 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
A GOP POTUS cannot afford to be "well mannered" in this day and age. Bush43 tried that and got torn to pieces.

How so? Did he not win reelection? Am I not left-of-center sitting here earlier saying I didn't have a problem with him, Iraq aside? Is presenting oneself as an actual leader and semi-reasonable human being really that unacceptable to you in the leader of the country?
Page 2 of 10<12345>Last »