Great Lines

June 20th, 2020 at 7:58:30 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
(1) Napoleon once said, when asked to explain the lack of great statesmen in the world, that "to get power you need to display absolute pettiness; to exercise power you need to show true greatness." Such pettiness and such greatness are rarely found in one person.

What movie is this line from? (don't google it. that's cheating). I will give you the writer

Rod Lurie (writer) Born May 15, 1962 in Israel. At age 18 he began attending the highly prestigious U.S. Military Academy at West Point. Upon graduation in 1984, he spent 4 years serving in the army, which took him to various cities in the U.S. and Europe. While serving in the Army, he worked part-time as freelance entertainment journalist, writing film reviews for small newspapers. After serving 4 of the 5 years of his obligation to the Army, he became a full-time film critic. He was soon writing reviews for Los Angeles Magazine and doing spots on KABC Talk Radio. Unfortunately, Lurie's sensationalist and highly informal style of film criticism made him one of the most hated film critics in the country.
June 24th, 2020 at 11:40:49 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
that doesn't sound like a line from a movie ... more like a Wikipedia entry. maybe the movie had a narrator?

PS , didn't get far with the forbidden google search
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 24th, 2020 at 11:47:25 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
from personal quotes section "on his film The Contender (2000) ... The film is about the DNA of greatness. It's about what truly makes great people. Characters like Laine [ Joan Allen ] only come around once every 30 or 40 years. It's just not in her character to respond to the allegations. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0527109/bio
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]