College Football during this COVID-19 pandemic

July 10th, 2020 at 9:17:37 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
There has been a lot of news coverage and opinion pieces on whether there should be college football this fall. Of course, much of the discussion centers around whether it can be made safe for the players, all young athletes. To me, this ranks up there on the abject hypocrisy scale. The number of broken bones, concussions, torn ligaments, even deaths, associated with a regular season's worth of college football must surpass the specific coronavirus risk to the players by a huge multiple. There have been stories of teams with dozens of positive results for COVID-19, but few (if any?) serious outcomes for any college football athlete.
Now of course we don't want these athletes infected and spreading their infections, but for the athletes THEMSELVES, I submit that the regular course of preparing for and playing in college football games is FAR more dangerous than any added risk from COVID-19 to THEM.

The non-athletes who work with them (coaches, waterboys, etc...) are of course at risk too.

It seems like schools that lose money on college football (Ivy league) will likely cancel.... while schools that make a boatload (SEC) are unlikely to cancel. Go figure...
July 10th, 2020 at 10:03:43 AM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: SOOPOO
this ranks up there on the abject hypocrisy scale.

My guess is that the season gets cancelled. I totally agree about the hypocrisy, but you gotta remember that libbies are the ones who will be pressuring them to cancel the season, and hypocrisy has never stopped a libbie.

These are the same libbies who believe that the virus has a genius IQ and targets only Trump supporters and sports fans, but not protesters rioters & looters. 🙄
July 10th, 2020 at 10:32:17 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

It seems like schools that lose money on college football (Ivy league) will likely cancel.... while schools that make a boatload (SEC) are unlikely to cancel. Go figure...

I heard last night that non-conference games are already off. Meaning no chance to lay PSU -45 points and still win.

How much independence do the conferences have? IOW, can the Big-10 play but the Pac-10 not?

If they can find a way to get the cash they will play. If they have to make it a Madden Football tournament that they can charge for they will.
The President is a fink.
July 10th, 2020 at 4:59:03 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Cancel football and save brains from CTE
If its not safe to open classrooms, its not safe to play football
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 10th, 2020 at 6:18:16 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
If its not safe to open classrooms, its not safe to play football

that is sort of my point, Ed. The risk to a college athlete playing football is some large magnitude more CTE than COVID-19.
July 10th, 2020 at 9:04:26 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6

This is hilarious. The dude who smokes pot is worried about college football killing brain cells?? lol....

Dude needs to do some research. Also, I personally know several potheads who have been smoking for literally decades.
Not exactly the brightest bulbs out there. What's funny is that they don't think pot has affected their minds, but everyone who knows them thinks otherwise lol 😂😂
July 11th, 2020 at 3:58:02 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Shrek
This is hilarious. The dude who smokes pot is worried about college football killing brain cells?? lol....

Dude needs to do some research. Also, I personally know several potheads who have been smoking for literally decades.
Not exactly the brightest bulbs out there. What's funny is that they don't think pot has affected their minds, but everyone who knows them thinks otherwise lol 😂😂

That is so often the case with pot users. It is like a highway with cars traveling 70 but the pot smoker only does 60. Everything passes them by but they cannot see it. Getting high starts to consume their life. They start to forget the details of what has been going on around them because they are tuned out so much of the time.
The President is a fink.
July 11th, 2020 at 8:45:19 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
that is sort of my point, Ed. The risk to a college athlete playing football is some large magnitude more CTE than COVID-19.

CTE should have ended college football
Colleges are in the business to educate the mind, not destroy the mind
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 12th, 2020 at 2:09:48 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
CTE should have ended college football
Colleges are in the business to educate the mind, not destroy the mind

Colleges are all about money. Money from tuition, money from sports, money from endowments, etc.