Leaving your body "to science"

Page 1 of 212>
July 10th, 2020 at 1:03:58 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Time for a totally new topic. I am at the age where it is time to have a will and start at least some estate planning. The financial is easy, see a lawyer. OTOH, what do you do with yourself?

I can remember as a kid (1970s) and the then-new drive to be an organ donor. A new thing then some people were not into it and TV shows had "lesson" episodes to give it push. Growing up with it I signed soon as I got my license.

But I want to go beyond that. Always as a kid heard of "leaving your body to science" which is a fancier way of saying "donate it for medical students to cut on." Whatever, after death it is no longer needed. Just did some very preliminary research on it. Wondering it anyone has ever done this or known someone who has.

FWIW I do NOT care what they do with whatever remains there are. I do not want to burden anyone with that.
The President is a fink.
July 10th, 2020 at 3:16:40 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
Time for a totally new topic. I am at the age where it is time to have a will and start at least some estate planning. The financial is easy, see a lawyer. OTOH, what do you do with yourself?

I can remember as a kid (1970s) and the then-new drive to be an organ donor. A new thing then some people were not into it and TV shows had "lesson" episodes to give it push. Growing up with it I signed soon as I got my license.

But I want to go beyond that. Always as a kid heard of "leaving your body to science" which is a fancier way of saying "donate it for medical students to cut on." Whatever, after death it is no longer needed. Just did some very preliminary research on it. Wondering it anyone has ever done this or known someone who has.

FWIW I do NOT care what they do with whatever remains there are. I do not want to burden anyone with that.
https://www.sciencecare.com/

We are both signed up with them. They get to do whatever they want with the corpse, but they take care of the disposal at no cost.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 10th, 2020 at 6:28:52 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
When in Medical School, we all had to dissect a corpse in the class called Gross Anatomy. They were sticklers for showing respect for the generous volunteer who donated their body for us to learn on. Thank you for your generosity.
July 11th, 2020 at 4:00:20 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
When in Medical School, we all had to dissect a corpse in the class called Gross Anatomy. They were sticklers for showing respect for the generous volunteer who donated their body for us to learn on. Thank you for your generosity.

To me it is a normal thing to do. I don't like seeing a car being junked without stripping out the good parts. I have heard doctors say that no matter all the tech they have to learn from, cutting up a person taught them the most.

Out of curiosity, did each student get and have to take apart a body or did you sort of team up?
The President is a fink.
July 11th, 2020 at 7:38:14 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Interesting topic. As it happens, my long time girlfriend just collapsed and died in the tub last Sunday morning. We dated 20 years, live together the last 9 years. The autopsy was Wednesday, and determined that she died from hemopericardium by an aortic dissection. She apparently had a tear in her a aorta which leaked out for 2 weeks before it proved fatal. I went to the coroner on Thursday. The topic of donating her body to science did not come up, but my question is for SOOPOO. How can they determine cause of death so quickly through a tiny tear in her aorta? It could have been anything IMO (aneurism maybe?) but they told me it was obvious, and the only cause of death. I guess my question is what would be left of her body after an autopsy, and would it be worthy for donating to science?

Today would have been her 54th birthday. RIP Lisa, I miss you.
July 11th, 2020 at 7:42:44 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
It's not easy like donating organs where you just check a box on your DL.

First you have to find a Medical School, Research Facility, or University that wants your body (lots of forms to fill out, maybe an in person eval as well). And, then if they "accept" they may or may not arrange the transport of your body from your place of death (or you may have to arrange depending on the organization).

I just know this because I have looked into out of curiosity, I thought it was just something you could do at the DMV like organ donor status, but its much more involved, you have to seek out private organizations that want bodies, then meet their criteria, apply, make arrangements etc....

But I give you massive respect for wanting to do this. I plan on as well, but as I am too young it will not be for quite a while. For now I am socially content being an organ donor.

For example here is the initial application for Mayo Clinic:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/body-donation/initiating-donation-process
July 11th, 2020 at 7:45:42 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Gandler
It's not easy like donating organs where you just check a box on your DL.

First you have to find a Medical School, Research Facility, or University that wants your body (lots of forms to fill out, maybe an in person eval as well). And, then if they "accept" they may or may not arrange the transport of your body from your place of death (or you may have to arrange depending on the organization).

I just know this because I have looked into out of curiosity, I thought it was just something you could do at the DMV like organ donor status, but its much more involved, you have to seek out private organizations that want bodies, then meet their criteria, apply, make arrangements etc....

But I give you massive respect for wanting to do this. I plan on as well, but as I am too young it will not be for quite a while. For now I am socially content being an organ donor.

I'm an organ donor and have no plans to change that. If science wants my body, then science can pay me for it. What happens to my body after I am dead is of no concern to me, but money does sometimes concern me at least a little bit while I'm alive.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 11th, 2020 at 10:16:54 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: zippyboy
Interesting topic. As it happens, my long time girlfriend just collapsed and died in the tub last Sunday morning. We dated 20 years, live together the last 9 years. The autopsy was Wednesday, and determined that she died from hemopericardium by an aortic dissection. She apparently had a tear in her a aorta which leaked out for 2 weeks before it proved fatal. I went to the coroner on Thursday. The topic of donating her body to science did not come up, but my question is for SOOPOO. How can they determine cause of death so quickly through a tiny tear in her aorta? It could have been anything IMO (aneurism maybe?) but they told me it was obvious, and the only cause of death. I guess my question is what would be left of her body after an autopsy, and would it be worthy for donating to science?

Today would have been her 54th birthday. RIP Lisa, I miss you.

Sorry, that's still pretty young to die.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 12th, 2020 at 4:57:31 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
We had a team approach for dissection... if memory serves me there were 4 of us per body.

Sorry for your loss, Zippy. A large amount of blood directly surrounding the heart (hemopericardium) is really easy to find on autopsy. Next seeing a hole in the aorta would show where it came from. The issue for an autopsy would be why so young she tore her aorta? Uncontrolled hypertension? Connective tissue disease? Trauma? I am guessing she had some back pain that she thought was skeletal.... it is how aortic dissections sometimes presents.

As far as donating her body after an autopsy, I am pretty sure that’s ok. But I have no idea how you accomplish this if plans had not been in place pre morbid.

As far as Mission wanting to sell his body... I think it is illegal or at least prohibited to do so. Could be wrong....
July 12th, 2020 at 7:16:05 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: SOOPOO
I am guessing she had some back pain that she thought was skeletal.... it is how aortic dissections sometimes presents.

YES! She'd been complaining of lower back pain for 2 weeks, and had me put icy hot on at night. She wasn't so sure it was skeletal, we thought it might be kidney stones and that they would pass eventually. Thanks for your input SOOPOO.
Page 1 of 212>