Phony apologies

May 19th, 2013 at 11:16:07 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I hate phony apologies that begin with "I'm sorry that I ___, but ..." After the "but" comes an explanation and excuse of why the person making the so-called apology did what he/she did. It like as if they are getting to do whatever they did twice by playing a replay of it, according to their own version.

No. Someone making a proper apology should try to put him/herself in the shoes of the victim and try to see why he/she was hurt and make an appropriate statement of contrition based on the point of view of the injured party. Apologies are not supposed to be a way to rub salt in the victim's wound.

On a mostly unrelated note, whatever happened to FrG. It seems we haven't heard from him in a while.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 20th, 2013 at 12:02:07 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
He's on a mission from God?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 20th, 2013 at 3:15:20 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Wizard
On a mostly unrelated note, whatever happened to FrG. It seems we haven't heard from him in a while.
He is off writing some hominy about the John Wayne expression "Never apologize, its a sign of weakness".
May 21st, 2013 at 9:30:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
"You called him stupid. You need to apologize "
"I'm sorry you're stupid."

We all remember that one. Fact is we are in a culture where some think an apology is "owed" and others consider it a get out of jail free card. I think most times the person is not serious. If you say something in jest but mean no harm you may be serious if a person gets offended. But you may not and are happy you said it and tired of people waiting to be offended to demand said apology.

If you bump someone in a bar you are probay sorry.

Does anyone really believe WJC was "sorry" about denying Monica or sorry his excuse didn't work?
The President is a fink.