What will future revenue bring?

Page 1 of 212>
July 15th, 2020 at 7:26:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
  1. Subscription TV revenue of US$94.6bn in 2018 will contract to US$81.8bn by 2023, due to a mature market and cord-cutting.
  2. Netflix revenue was $20.16bn in 2019. Forbes believes that Netflix revenues can double by 2025 to levels of about $45 billion.
  3. Data on the global over-the-top TV and video revenue worldwide in 2019 revealed that SVoD revenue reached $48bn. Surpass $96.5bn in 2025.
  4. China Cinema Market to Surpass $22 Billion by the End of 2025 - China's Tightening Censorship is Making a Bad Box Office, Challenging Growth.
  5. In 2019, total earnings at the North American box office amounted to $11.32bn.
  6. In 2005 DVD sales reached $16.3 billion. Today DVD total sales hit $2.2 billion in 2019.
Northern America (US and Canada)
2019 Total Box Office Gross: $11,289,613,403 Tickets Sold: 1,239,254,735 Average Ticket Price: $9.11
2020 Total Box Office Gross: $1,632,934,985 Tickets Sold: 179,246,320 Average Ticket Price: $9.11

Ticket sales in 2020 have been 179 million for the entire movie industry while last year Disney sold 196 million tickets to it's four big children's movies The Lion King, Frozen II, Toy Story 4, and Aladdin. That is not counting Disney's Marvel and Star Wars films.

Is COVID the end of movies being a significant source of entertainment revenue?

July 15th, 2020 at 8:09:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Pacomartin

Although I've never been in the Covid is no big deal camp, I suspect little change to our way of living in a couple years because of it. I do expect some big policy changes about taking infectious diseases seriously though.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 15th, 2020 at 9:28:43 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
I do expect some big policy changes about taking infectious diseases seriously though.

You have to wonder about people investing in venues like IMAX theaters with stadium seating and possibly beer and wine + food service which rely on big crowds to make money. It's much safer to invest on things that people can consume alone.

In this day where Walmart is selling for $89 a 24" Class 720P HD LED Smart TV with a built in Roku, a 20" tablet is still $439.

The day when you can buy a 20" screen that works in a car for less than $150 will mean teens can drive to a parking lot and watch a film and have some privacy to make out. That day may mark the near death of movie theaters.
July 15th, 2020 at 11:18:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Y That day may mark the near death of movie theaters.

That day died for me when
people started talking in
normal voices and on phones
during movies. Years ago.
I don't like being in big
crowds of strangers anymore.
I don't like having to move
my head back and forth to
see the big screen. This isn't
1957, we have options now.
I can save movie admission and
buy the DVD even cheaper.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 16th, 2020 at 3:10:11 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Movie theaters have been dying for years. The model has been broken for some time now. The studio takes almost all of the gate money. People will no longer pay $10 for popcorn and another $10 for a gallon of coke.

Most businesses enter a "sweet spot" for pricing and revenue. The consumer gets used to that price, which when it was set allowed for a nice profit. Then inflation eats away at the price, but the consumer does not want to pay more than some key number. Movies had their sweet period in the 1990s or so. Places had 8-10 screens and filled up. They had concession combos at prices that while high were accepted.

Then it got to be 15-20 screens. That was just too much product. Sure a blockbuster could be on multiple screens when it first came out, but how many weekends was that? I did a theater audit once for extra cash, the screen I audited did not have 100 people all day.

That empty space must be heated, cooled, and cleaned. Meanwhile, Hollywood creative stopped creating.

Theaters will close, but not because of the china virus.
The President is a fink.
July 16th, 2020 at 9:48:39 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: AZDuffman
Movie theaters have been dying for years.

People don't understand how big
movies once were, before TV. The
average person went once a week.
In cities they often went 3-4 times
a week. It was cheap entertainment.

Then TV came along and the movie
industry went berserk. The writing
has been on the wall for 75 years,
we all knew this day was coming.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 16th, 2020 at 10:42:37 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
People don't understand how big
movies once were, before TV. The
average person went once a week.
In cities they often went 3-4 times
a week. It was cheap entertainment.

Then TV came along and the movie
industry went berserk. The writing
has been on the wall for 75 years,
we all knew this day was coming.

Well, even into the 1970s people went to the movies in summer to soak up the A/C. If there were better movies people might go more often. I see a movie at most once a year. I have a gift card for movie tickets my old boss gave us at Christmas, I will likely give it to my sister's kids.
The President is a fink.
July 16th, 2020 at 11:26:27 AM permalink
Evenbob
Well, even into the 1970s people went to the movies in summer to soak up the A/C. If there were better movies people might go more often. I see a movie at most once a year. I have a gift card for movie tickets my old boss gave us at Christmas, I will likely give it to my sister's kids.

Going to see movies is just a
pain. Drive there, wait in line,
buy hugely over priced snacks
you don't need, then sit in a
big room with mouth breathing
strangers for 2 hours. Such a
colossal waste of time. Just pop
in the DVD when it comes out.

I don't understand why people go
to live sporting events. It's the
worst possible way to watch a game.
The real reason they go is beyond
me.
July 16th, 2020 at 1:17:01 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob

I don't understand why people go
to live sporting events. It's the
worst possible way to watch a game.
The real reason they go is beyond
me.

I used to get it when I cared. I will go to a game if the company is paying, been to a MLB game or two on a nice evening that way. It was more the get together aspect than the game. Used to like the tailgating before a football game. But now, no way. Not interested. Too expensive, too much traffic, and too jaded about sports. When you root for just the point spread life is different.
The President is a fink.
July 16th, 2020 at 2:16:20 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I used to get it when I cared. I will go to a game if the company is paying, been to a MLB game or two on a nice evening that way. It was more the get together aspect than the game. Used to like the tailgating before a football game. But now, no way. Not interested. Too expensive, too much traffic, and too jaded about sports. When you root for just the point spread life is different.

I agree, baseball games are events not just games. I can't watch a 9 inning game on tv without falling asleep but I do enjoy going to one game a year at the ballpark.

For me, football games are better in person because you can see all of the players and not just the ones the camera is on. I enjoy watching the blocking schemes of the linemen which you usually can't see on TV. As I get older the hassles of going to the game start to outweigh the benefits.

I still try to go to one college football game each year but that is more about seeing a new city and a new campus. I love most college towns. I was scheduled to go to Eugene Oregon in September to see the Ducks play the Buckeyes, but of course it has been cancelled. I have never been to Eugene.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
Page 1 of 212>