Whose rights take priority?

Page 1 of 81234>Last »
July 16th, 2020 at 6:27:55 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Muslim woman says Missouri gun range turned her away for wearing hijab.

Quote:
Her husband had been there multiple times and has had no issues.

“He wanted to take me there for a fun experience; instead we experienced racism and discrimination,” she said.

The couple enjoy going to gun ranges and had visited others without any issues with her hijab. But when Barakat and her husband approached the cashier, she was told that she must remove her hijab to go into the gun range.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/muslim-woman-says-missouri-gun-range-turned-her-away-for-wearing-hijab/ar-BB16PQaB?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 16th, 2020 at 6:34:58 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine

I completely support the gun range without knowing anything about them. I will assume for the sake of argument they have a neutral civil rights background (no history of discrimination)....

Saftey required dress codes need to be enforced. There should be no special religious exemption....

This reminds me of the stories of the women complaining they cannot take DL or passport photos in full face coverings.... This is either a publicity stunt or she is so compelled by her religion she cannot see the logic, either way, no sympathy from me....

The article even mentions her husband and friends were allowed to shoot, she just refused to take off her relgious garb, so this is clearly not a "Muslim Discrimination" issue....

Massive controversy over a pretty standard safety dress code....
July 16th, 2020 at 6:40:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Gandler
I completely support the gun range without knowing anything about them. I will assume for the sake of argument they have a neutral civil rights background (no history of discrimination)....

Saftey required dress codes need to be enforced. There should be no special religious exemption....

This reminds me of the stories of the women complaining they cannot take DL or passport photos in full face coverings.... This is either a publicity stunt or she is so compelled by her religion she cannot see the logic, either way, no sympathy from me....

The article even mentions her husband and friends were allowed to shoot, she just refused to take off her relgious garb, so this is clearly not a "Muslim Discrimination" issue....

Massive controversy over a pretty standard safety dress code....

I don't think your argument is relevant here.

Quote:
The word hijab described the act if covering up and is generally used for a type of headscscarves worn by Muslim women. A hijab covers the head and neck – but leaves the face uncovered.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 16th, 2020 at 6:48:42 PM permalink
Gandler

Quote:
The word hijab described the act if covering up and is generally used for a type of headscscarves worn by Muslim women. A hijab covers the head and neck – but leaves the face uncovered.

I am well aware of what a hijab is.

No headgear means no headgear.....

My analogy was to other people trying religious exemptions in sensitive areas....
July 16th, 2020 at 6:53:44 PM permalink
rxwine

Quote:

My analogy was to other people trying religious exemptions in sensitive areas....

Why would other gun ranges let her shoot with a hijab if it is a real safety issue?
July 16th, 2020 at 6:56:30 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I wonder if she could have worn a face mask and a cowboy hat?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 16th, 2020 at 6:59:50 PM permalink
Gandler

Quote:

Why would other gun ranges let her shoot with a hijab if it is a real safety issue?

From your article :

"During Barakat’s visit, no one cited religion or any of her personal attributes as a barrier to access to the range, according to the statement from Frontier Justice. She was invited to stay in the store and shop, but would not be allowed on the range unless she complied with the safety rules."

Their range, their rules. Follow the saftey, take all commands from the tower.

She can go shoot in the woods or another range if she does not like their rules.
July 16th, 2020 at 6:59:59 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
Wearing a hat while shooting offers protection from the sun as well as from hot brass, so it’s a good idea to wear one while at indoor or outdoor ranges. As a bonus, in the hot weather, you’ll thank your hat for keeping you cool.

https://tacticafashion.com/six-things-to-wear-to-the-range/
July 16th, 2020 at 7:21:01 PM permalink
Gandler
https://tacticafashion.com/six-things-to-wear-to-the-range/

I don't like shooting, I am not big on firearms. But by circumstance, I have probably shot more (and more types) than anyone here.....

"Tacticafashion" is not an academic source on gun safety or tactics. They sell stupid stuff like "tactical leggins"....

A hat is not a hijab. A helmet is not a hijab. A hijab is cloth surrounding your head and neck which can lead to brass getting caught and various safety issues....

Their range policy indoors was all headwear except forward facing baseball caps are prohibited. This is a reasonable and not uncommon policy..... I don't believe in religious exemptions.... I don't think anyone should have to roll out a red carpet anytime somebody says "its religious headwear".
This leads to actual legal DL photos with pasta strainers on people's heads (because they insist on following the flying spaghetti monster and being a pastafaian, its a real thing look it up....)

Again, their range their rules. As an atheist I like that they don't bend over for religions….. Simple, go to a range expect to follow commands from the tower, its not a playground. Things need to be run a certain way....

Their range, their rules....
July 17th, 2020 at 12:24:47 AM permalink
rxwine
You're not bending the rules, as the law doesn't allow religious discrimination. It DOES make an exception. That's the real federal law.

Just to aggravate the headgear/religious/safety issue, I think you'd have a hard time convincing a judge by demonstration of any kind that the Jewish yarmulke is a safety hazard. It's barely a head covering and sits at the back end of the head.

Were I able to find any statistics at all on safety issues with shooting and headgear, I could at least verify some stats one way or another. Perhaps I'm not looking for the right combo of words.

I do think the answer to this particular situation still needs to be clarified in the court rulings, new or old.
Page 1 of 81234>Last »