Tornado destroyer

Page 1 of 212>
May 21st, 2013 at 12:44:52 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
I've heard of ideas to break up hurricanes. None of them any good, as far as I know. (Nuclear bomb would just make a hurricane radioactive)

But what about tornadoes? I can't really think of anything practical. You've got a short time period, and you're over land.

But what if the tornado, or storm cloud was over a uninhabited area? Could you do anything with one of those 15000 pound bunker buster Daisy cutter bombs or something similar?

Even if not practical what if you dropped the below bomb into the middle of a storm cloud from above?

(had a thought, certainly anything below such an explosion -- well, the cure is worse than the problem I suspect)

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 21st, 2013 at 3:29:11 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Recent research indicates that in order to form, a tornado needs both a cold, rainy downdraft and a warm updraft.

To stop a tornado from forming, just heat this cold downdraft.

Blast it with beams of microwaves from a fleet of satellites. The satellites would collect solar energy, transform it into microwaves, and send a beam down to Earth. The beams would be focused on cold downdrafts.
May 21st, 2013 at 3:32:57 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
We need to stop thinking we can control the weather on a small scale and climate on a large scale. Weather is going to happen no matter if we like it or not. While there are tragedies from time to time you pick up and move on. In the USA we seem to forget this last part.
The President is a fink.
May 21st, 2013 at 3:48:18 AM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
I wonder if James Inhofe and Tom Coburn will vote against disaster relief for Hurricane Sandy the tornado if it's not offset with spending cuts.
May 21st, 2013 at 9:20:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: s2dbaker
I wonder if James Inhofe and Tom Coburn will vote against disaster relief for Hurricane Sandy the tornado if it's not offset with spending cuts.

Perhaps they should. Might I suggest we start at the IRS who has too much time on their hands? Or the ATF. Disasters should be budgeted for ahead of time.
The President is a fink.
May 22nd, 2013 at 12:01:24 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Yipes. Sixteen minute warning over Moore, Oklahoma....quick Bomber Command...fly over here and when you drop that bomb I sure hope it ignores the 200MPH winds and just hits the ground the way you think it will. And do all this in sixteen minutes will you?

Better to have safe houses in homes. Public buildings built with surface entrances but actually built underground. So schools, churches, fire stations, etc. are essentially underground or half underground and only the entrances are unprotected mud rooms. Even a multi-story building such as a hospital can be built so that its ambulances, auditoriums and cafeterias are underground. Also you can have elevators do priority delivery to basement levels during warning times.

One home construction company (Davis Caves of Atlanta, IL) built a home in Carney, Oklahoma and got an email from the owners saying only their unprotected Family Room was damaged by a Tornado, the rest of their home was earth sheltered and totally undamaged.

Its sort of a choice: either move out of Tornado Alley or else build in Tornado Alley with some thought to surviving tornadoes where you are rather than trying to race to a shelter in sixteen minutes. Given the energy savings involved and Search and Rescue savings involved, Tornado Alley could be still having tornadoes but they would do less damage and have far fewer fatalities. You would lose crops, above-ground structures and still have to deal with debris but not life-threatening situations. Tax breaks for basement safe rooms makes a dent in rescue expenses.
May 22nd, 2013 at 1:48:03 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
Its sort of a choice: either move out of Tornado Alley or else build in Tornado Alley with some thought to surviving tornadoes where you are rather than trying to race to a shelter in sixteen minutes.

A horrific series of tornados in 1925 killed almost 800 people,dwarfing the 24 people killed in OK.

In the last 90 years it is surprising that more standards are not enacted.
May 22nd, 2013 at 4:03:43 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Pacomartin

In the last 90 years it is surprising that more standards are not enacted.

This seems the most surprising of all.

I mean, here in the snow belt, we have the equipment and a (somewhat intelligent) plan for when we get 7' dumped in a day. In the southern east coast, they have evacuation routes as hurricanes are slow enough to run. In Japan, nearly every building is made to withstand high scale earthquakes. The disasters are common, so, duh, have a plan.

I don't know enough about buildings to know whether one could be built to withstand 210 bleeding mph, but my god, it don't take much to dig a hole. We can build them over the threat of nuclear war, but not for the guarantee of earth scorching tornadoes?

I don't fault the rebuilding, regardless if you know you're just gonna get wiped out again. But damn, man. Protect yourself!
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 22nd, 2013 at 4:38:58 PM permalink
Pacomartin

I was in St. Croix in 1989 when Hurricane Hugo hit. (photo Virgin Islands Daily News ) We had sustained winds over 200 mph that lasted for almost 8 hours. Compare that to a tornado that lasts for 40 seconds.

I was eternally grateful that my hotel room was ancient, and it had those Jalousie windows which most people think of as old fashioned. We could open the windows and put a box spring in front to keep the any shards of glass if they broke. But many people had more modern windows with single panes of glas that couldn't be completely opened. They turned into deadly shrapnel. A lot of water got in the room through the window, but the roof ripped off anyway so there was water from everywhere.

There are simple things you can do which may not make the building withstand a direct hit, but you don't want everything to turn into deadly missiles. Giant pane glass windows may look prettier, but if your arteries are getting slashed with broken glass it isn't much comfort.

We sat around this stupid pool using the rainwater to try and flush toilets, and listened to the gunfire as people rioted all night and tried to keep people from climbing over the walls.

Company House Hotel in Christiansted www.companyhousehotel.com

You can see the fence/gate between the yellow building and the pink building. Armed marauders would try to break in at night or climb over the gate.
July 1st, 2013 at 4:36:05 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Talk about dashcam style video! Only it's on a train. There's a nice lesson about things in motion staying in motion if you watch to the end.

Tornado vs. Train
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 1 of 212>