Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Evenbob
Hey, Gay men's agenda is important.
Up to 2% of the population is Gay
males. TWO PERCENT! That's huge.
LOLOLOL

Closer to 4%

If you count people who are "straight" but have ever been in a homosexual relationship or sexual encounter its closer to 10% (much higher than 10% for females).

I watch a lot of movies, and I don't know the stats, but the vast majority of sex scenes are straight sex.... I personally find sex scenes pretty boring unless they contribute to the story or character development, not something I really care about.

But, more importantly movies/TV are not about representing every population perfectly proportionally. How many Americans are Super Soldiers who can out-action any scenerio?.... Movies/TV always have characters that are entertaining, and over the top characters tend to be more entertaining. If movies represented America demographics proportionally, most movies should be about male retail workers and truck drivers........ But that probably wouldn't be too exciting.....

The idea that movies need to exactly proportionally to every demographic is a little over the top.... It would result it total bland movies....
July 18th, 2020 at 12:19:37 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Mission146

I don't need every show to have an interracial couple as well as a gay couple, but I don't really care if a show has nothing but interracial or gay couples. I care whether or not it's a good show that I consider worth watching, which it almost never is, in either case.

I remember one of the early compelling gay characters on TV was on Soap in the 70's was played by Billy Crystal, Jodie Dallas
I remember really rooting for Jodie
What a great character. It was great TV and a really good show
A great comedy as it examined compelling social issues like a gay father fighting for custody of his child.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 18th, 2020 at 12:29:45 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Gandler

The idea that movies need to exactly proportionally to every demographic is a little over the top.... It would result it total bland movies....

Many times
The movie is bland because they replace all the characters with white people.
Take the movie 21 about the MIT BJ team
The movie they were all white
In real life, they were Asian or people of color
In real life, high rollers are rarely white people in their early 20's. At that age, most are Asian or people of color.
They needed their counters to blend in, not stick out like a sore thumb.
They recruited people that can easily pass for high rollers in real life.
I think it would have made the movie more realistic and believable.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 18th, 2020 at 12:37:05 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: terapined
Many times
In real life, high rollers are rarely white people in their early 20's. At that age, most are Asian or people of color.

I take your point, but one of them was Asian in the movie. Maybe more than one, but definitely at least one that I recall.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 18th, 2020 at 12:42:40 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I remember one of the early compelling gay characters on TV was on Soap in the 70's was played by Billy Crystal, Jodie Dallas
I remember really rooting for Jodie
What a great character. It was great TV and a really good show
A great comedy as it examined compelling social issues like a gay father fighting for custody of his child.

I apologize, but I've never heard of that show and don't know who either of the people you mentioned are.

I know that Roseanne had a gay male couple and perhaps either a gay or bisexual woman. Gay male couple for sure. You also had Ellen who, of course, was the lesbian title character. Ricky, played by Jared Leto on My So-Called Life, was a gay male character.

I'm not just listing examples for the hell of it, one of those examples would be the first time that I recall seeing homosexuals portrayed on TV...but I don't remember which example I saw first.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 18th, 2020 at 12:45:41 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Many times

I have not seen that movie in some time, but I thought I remeber some Asian characters?

As for the actual team's makeup, I don’t know enough about it.

But, generally I agree with your premise, more diversity makes things more interesting.
July 18th, 2020 at 1:09:29 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I apologize, but I've never heard of that show and don't know who either of the people you mentioned are.

I know that Roseanne had a gay male couple and perhaps either a gay or bisexual woman. Gay male couple for sure. You also had Ellen who, of course, was the lesbian title character. Ricky, played by Jared Leto on My So-Called Life, was a gay male character.

I'm not just listing examples for the hell of it, one of those examples would be the first time that I recall seeing homosexuals portrayed on TV...but I don't remember which example I saw first.

You've never heard of Billy Crystal?

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0000345/

I'm surprised by that.

Not surprised that you haven't heard of Soap, though.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
July 18th, 2020 at 1:16:26 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Dalex64
You've never heard of Billy Crystal?

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0000345/

I'm surprised by that.

Not surprised that you haven't heard of Soap, though.

You shouldn’t be surprised. I’ve watched probably fewer than 100 combined movies or unique TV series, lifetime. I care neither for scripted or reality television, mainly just sports and a few game shows. I’ve even deleted YouTube from my phone to make more room for music downloads.
July 18th, 2020 at 2:32:11 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
You shouldn’t be surprised. I’ve watched probably fewer than 100 combined movies or unique TV series, lifetime. I care neither for scripted or reality television, mainly just sports and a few game shows. I’ve even deleted YouTube from my phone to make more room for music downloads.

I am with you on movies. I have seen very few in the last 25 years. I doubt if I watch more than one new movie a year. I will still occasionally watch replays of some of my favorites: Airplane, Blazing Saddles, and Shawshank.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 18th, 2020 at 2:43:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Gandler
Closer to 4%

Nope. I just looked it up in 3
places and it's 2.2% for men
and 1.1% for women. Gallup
says we wildly over estimate
the numbers, with the majority
believing 24% are Gay.

I used to ask Black people in
my taxi what % of the US is
black. Not one ever got it close.
Most said 35%-45%. It was 13%
at the time. Even Latinos far
outnumber Blacks now.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 2 of 6<12345>Last »