The Old Guard

Page 5 of 6« First<23456>
July 18th, 2020 at 4:19:44 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
That is what I am saying. I thing some women claim it just to claim it. Think it makes them "inclusive" or think it makes men more attracted to them. Yeah, in addition to worrying about her cheating on me with some other guy maybe she will with some other women.

The other thing is if a guy says he like guys he has lost most if not all of his manliness among straight guys. Even if he claims he only "pitches" straight guys will find it repulsive. Women, OTOH, I do not think look down on other women like that at least not to the same extent.

I have a challenge that I always say to people who say this.

Go on Tinder or any local dating app, change your setting to scroll "men and women", and you would be suprised how many men you will see that you would never have thought "interested in men and women", its just not something talked about publicly.... I bet you would see more than a few people you recognize if you are in a small town.... Men just don't like talking about it outside of people they know they are safe with.....
July 18th, 2020 at 4:27:34 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
That is what I am saying. I thing some women claim it just to claim it. Think it makes them "inclusive" or think it makes men more attracted to them. Yeah, in addition to worrying about her cheating on me with some other guy maybe she will with some other women.

The other thing is if a guy says he like guys he has lost most if not all of his manliness among straight guys. Even if he claims he only "pitches" straight guys will find it repulsive. Women, OTOH, I do not think look down on other women like that at least not to the same extent.

I don’t disagree in all cases, but I’m of the opinion that some women legitimately enjoy sexual activities with either sex.

I don’t worry about cheating because my father was a notorious infidel, so I never cheat on anyone. I don’t concern myself with anyone cheating on me because my partners have known any such would just lead to automatic termination of the relationship. In my opinion, the drama associated with trying to keep a broken (by cheating) relationship together would be more aggravating than the actual cheating. I’ve always just said, “If you meet a man that you would like to pursue, then just immediately end the relationship with me as it will be more efficient for both of us.” As a result, I’ve only been cheated on once that I’m aware of and immediately terminated that relationship after she made the fact known to me.

As far as bisexual women are concerned, I probably wouldn’t mind if she had one other regular female partner provided I am not expected to participate.

As far as bisexual or gay guys are concerned, as long as they never attempt to put a hand on me; it doesn’t really impact my opinion of them. One of the guys I got along with best at a previous job was a gay dude and also two of my better friends in college, one from each college.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 18th, 2020 at 5:54:46 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Mission146
. One of the guys I got along with best at a previous job was a gay dude and also two of my better friends in college, one from each college.

In college I lived in a six bedroom house with 5 other guys. One of the guys was effeminate but wasn't out ofthe closet at that point. Many years later when I Googled his name I found out that he won the Mr. Gay Seattle pagent. I can brag to others that one of my roomates won a beauty pagent (although I may not go into all of the details).
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 18th, 2020 at 6:50:13 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: DRich
In college I lived in a six bedroom house with 5 other guys. One of the guys was effeminate but wasn't out ofthe closet at that point. Many years later when I Googled his name I found out that he won the Mr. Gay Seattle pagent. I can brag to others that one of my roomates won a beauty pagent (although I may not go into all of the details).

Ha! That’s pretty cool. The gay dude I worked with at the furniture store was named Phillip and everyone would joke about not knowing who the gay one of the two of us was because we both spent an equal amount of time fussing over our hair. I wouldn’t normally have spent so much time worrying about it, (Phillip definitely would) but I felt more confident in approaching customers when my hair looked really put together. I even wore glasses that did nothing because I felt like it offset my height and build to make me come off as less physically imposing.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 18th, 2020 at 7:31:19 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Me skimming through this thread trying to figure out WTF y’all are even talking about anymore:

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 18th, 2020 at 10:10:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
I used to ask Black people in my taxi what % of the US is black. Not one ever got it close. Most said 35%-45%. It was 13% at the time. Even Latinos far outnumber Blacks now.

It's a well-known fact that most people from a majority group who don't know the actual numbers wildly overestimate percentages of a minority group.
African American % of US population
1990 12.06%
2000 12.32%
2010 12.61%

Media inclusion is largely related to your audience. CBS has the oldest viewership of any broadcast network, and The CW (half owned by CBS) has the youngest.

Broadcast Networks by LGBTQ Character Inclusion, Ranked
(Percentage of LGBTQ series regulars of all series regulars)

CBS 5.5%
FOX 7.9%
ABC 10.4%
NBC 12.5%
The CW 15.4%

Original TV cast for Supergirl

Supergirl is a good example. The first season it was on CBS and there were no LGBTQ characters. Ratings were poor and it was moved to The CW. Shortly after the move one of the three main characters appearing in every episode (Kara Danvers, Alex Danvers, and J'onn J'onzz) realizes that she is gay. So now we have a white girl, a gay white girl, and a black man playing the three main leads. But a younger audience expects that kind of diversity at a minimum.
July 19th, 2020 at 6:40:34 AM permalink
Pacomartin
"Warrior Nun" is a similar type fantasy as "Old Gaurd". All the actors are European so you don't have big salaries like Charlize Theron. I enjoyed it a little more even though it moved a little slower. The plot was actually pretty good, especially the last episode. The shots of Andalusia in Southern Spain were beautiful.

Alba Baptista, The Warrior Nun
July 19th, 2020 at 9:20:11 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
"Warrior Nun"

Do the people who wrote this
realize how ridiculous those
two words are when used
together? Like 'killer panda'
or 'homicidal toddler'.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 19th, 2020 at 12:22:59 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
Do the people who wrote this realize how ridiculous those two words are when used together?

I think they do realize that.

The TV series is not as full of T&A as the comic book. It only has a TV-MA rating because of violence and language.

The episodes are bible verses.
1 Psalm 46:5
2 Proverbs 31:25
3 Ephesians 6:11
4 Ecclesiasticus 26:9-10
5 Matthew 7:13
6 Isaiah 30:20-21
7 Ephesians 4:22-24
8 Proverbs 14:1
9 2 Corinthians 10:4
10 Revelation 2:10

There aren't any major Hollywood stars in the cast. Almost everyone in this cast is either just starting out in their acting career or better known internationally.
July 19th, 2020 at 2:04:51 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I watched this last night. It was a fine action movie, nothing life changing. But, a solid action movie (which I tend to like). With some interesting characters and good actors.

I honestly don't understand all of the fuss about the gay characters in this thread. Romance in this movie was do subdued you barley noticed it.... I don't even think there were any sex scenes (of any kind) that I remember or anything more than a quick kiss when greeting....

Honestly my main complaint was that it was too short. I feel that the plot would have been better in a miniseries than a single 2ish hour movie. But, a lot of the movie felt rushed. I honestly prefer the format of miniseries overall better than movies. I think they are a better way to tell a story. I think the 2 hour movie format is getting antiquated (and I think this is evidenced by so many streaming services opting to tell stories this way) and from a time when most people watched movies in theaters as opposed to having the ability to start and stop a show whenever you want. And, most of my favorite movies are so long that they could almost be defined as a miniseries (3-4 hour mark), I think that the 2 hour limit is too arbitrary and short (I understand the logistics behind it historically).
It is apparently based on a comic series (which I never read and know nothing about) so I am sure there would be enough content to make it a series. Anyway with many movie theaters quite possible never reopening again due do COVID-19 (they were already on thin ice financially), I think it is quite possible the standard movie length format will change...
Page 5 of 6« First<23456>