What do you worry about?

Page 1 of 212>
July 28th, 2020 at 3:20:08 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
My wife is a worrier and is always worrying about something. I would guess that everyday there is something that she is worried about. I am completely the opposite. i rarely worry about anything.

My wife worries about COVID, about possibly missing her plane connection next week, worries about her hair appointment getting cancelled, worried about who wins the presidential election, etc.

I honestly can't remember the last time I worried about anything. Even when my wife was in the hospital recently I don't think I was worried. I did go through many different contingencies of what I would do if she passed away, went into a coma, lost her left leg, etc. But I really don't think I was worried at all.

What do you worry about or what are you worried about today?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 28th, 2020 at 3:32:36 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich

I "worry" about falling back into major debt. In quotes because what I do is make every possible failsafe to it happening again. I have been told my fear of falling back into debt is similar to a heroin addict trying to keep clean.
The President is a fink.
July 28th, 2020 at 3:56:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
I think all the way through my 30s there was something at least once a week, that would keep going around in my brain keeping me from sleeping.

Nowadays, except for the brief, am I going to choke on this thing I didn't swallow right, or a sudden mysterious pain in the chest, nothing really bothers me as much.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 28th, 2020 at 5:03:33 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Totally with you DRich I chose not worry about things, I never found it helped so decided to stop worrying. The biggest effect of worry that I see is it impairs your ability to actually solve the problem you chose to worry about.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 28th, 2020 at 5:14:32 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: DRich

I honestly can't remember the last time I worried about anything. Even when my wife was in the hospital recently I don't think I was worried. I did go through many different contingencies of what I would do if she passed away, went into a coma, lost her left leg, etc. But I really don't think I was worried at all.

I would say that going over the different contingencies would constitute, "Worry," as opposed to just waiting to see what happens and then going from there. Maybe that just constitutes preparation...I guess it depends on how much thought you put into the less likely possibilities.

I equate worry to, "Being concerned," and would personally use both terms the same way. Some people might use, 'Worry,' to mean a higher degree of the state than does concern. Either way, I think there's some semantics associated with the word, how it is meant and that the word itself is not necessarily specific enough. There are usually better words to describe specific states or levels of worry, but most people don't seem inclined to use them.

For example, I would say that your wife (based exclusively upon your description) has a default state of trepidation and/or a perpetual sense of foreboding. I would further suggest that you are not like that and only concern yourself with things that are already the case, or for one reason or another, are reasonably likely (or more likely than usual) to become the case.

I'm not worried about anything, at the moment, and have not worried very much today. I am slightly uneasy that I may wake up to a mostly flat tire because I should have put more air in it today and decided not to do it. In this instance, were it to rise to the level of worry, I would go and put more air in it prior to going to bed. Of course, you may personally use, "Uneasy," to describe a state greater than worry, rather than lesser, so we're back to semantics.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 29th, 2020 at 2:26:01 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Mission146
I'm not worried about anything, at the moment, and have not worried very much today. I am slightly uneasy that I may wake up to a mostly flat tire ...
anybody who signs a post with "Mondlicht leuchtet fahl auf moosbedecktes Menschengebein" is worrying about something!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 29th, 2020 at 3:36:06 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: odiousgambit
anybody who signs a post with "Mondlicht leuchtet fahl auf moosbedecktes Menschengebein" is worrying about something!

Lol. It’s just a line in a song I like. Specifically, “Totentanz,” by German metal band Macbeth.

The song is not about any super serious topic. It basically just says, at night, the dead rise from their graves and have a huge party, then return to their graves just before the break of dawn.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 29th, 2020 at 7:22:28 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Mission146
Lol. It’s just a line in a song I like. Specifically, “Totentanz,” by German metal band Macbeth.

The song is not about any super serious topic. It basically just says, at night, the dead rise from their graves and have a huge party, then return to their graves just before the break of dawn.
I think the Germans might have a traditional notion about the dead being prone to 'partying' in the afterlife , I've run into this before. Might go way back.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 29th, 2020 at 8:08:12 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: odiousgambit
I think the Germans might have a traditional notion about the dead being prone to 'partying' in the afterlife , I've run into this before. Might go way back.

Probably. My understanding is that there's a history of Druidism in some parts of Germany, so it may well have come from them.
July 29th, 2020 at 9:36:59 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Perfect place for this. Feminists in the
UK are complaining that masks are
giving men license to 'aggressively
stare' at them. Are you fricking kidding
me. Women are insane.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8564247/Are-masks-giving-men-licence-stare-Women-report-rise-aggressive-eye-contact.html
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 1 of 212>