RV life with Terapined

May 12th, 2022 at 10:56:50 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: missedhervee
Me too, and it has paid massive dividends in longevity of engine life.

Good to see you changing transmission and coolant, but while you're at it consider also changing any differential oils and transfer case fluids if applicable, and check the condition of your brakes and flush the brake fluid every couple years.

Also consider examining and replacing any soft or otherwise old hoses and of course drive belts need to be renewed periodically as well.

Not sure what type RV you have, but whatever the type all wheel bearing should be examined and repacked with grease periodically as well.

It's getting to that time when everything thats running well needs to be serviced to continue to run well and it runs real well
Differential oils and and transfer case fluids are next. Also need the fuel injection serviced.
My tow vehicle is just a F150
I would never consider an RV with a motor
So nice to drop off the truck and still chill in my RV home at the RV park.
They gave me a loaner, ford escape. 3 miles on it. It took me a while to figure out the button start (no key, just a fob) and find Drive. I kept messing with the wiper until I noticed a dial where a stick would be. Dialed to reverse to back out then dialed drive.
The RV itself just needs wheel bearings maintained but I'm not close to that service.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 12th, 2022 at 4:34:06 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
One of the things I liked about my BMW's was that the first oil change wasn't until 10,000 miles (also free oil changes). I would only have to have the oil changed once then I would trade it in for a new one. Never kept one more than three years. Sadly the Honda I have now requires a change every 7,500 miles so I will probably have to do two changes before I get rid of it.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 12th, 2022 at 4:42:14 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
That's fine for you, in the short run, but were you planning to keep the car indefinitely and cared about making it last you'd better have a "come to jesus" meeting on oil and filter changes, i.e. do it about twice as frequently as the mfr. recommends.

Remember they WANT your car to wear out so you'll buy new.

My daily driver is an '82 Volvo turbo; I bought it Y2K with about 200K on it; rebuilt the motor and to this day it doesn't smoke and purrs like a kitten.

A large part of that is due to frequent oil and filter changes, e.g. every 2K miles or so.

I can think of no more cost effective way to prolong your engine's longevity than frequent changes.
May 12th, 2022 at 5:37:53 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188

Remember they WANT your car to wear out so you'll buy new.

Possibly, but maybe they want you to think you got good value for your vehicle so you'll buy another from the same company. I didn't buy multiple Hondas, because they kept breaking down.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 12th, 2022 at 6:00:24 PM permalink
missedhervee
Quote: rxwine
Possibly, but maybe they want you to think you got good value for your vehicle so you'll buy another from the same company. I didn't buy multiple Hondas, because they kept breaking down.

No, you buy a new car every three years so they never go out of warranty.

That is a waste of money.

Buy the right car new and keep it indefinitely; maintain it faithfully, treat it was care and you'll be surprised how much use it can give you.

I understand the main reason engines fail is because of lack of oil / too infrequent oil changes which typically leads to seized bearings.
May 12th, 2022 at 6:05:51 PM permalink
rxwine

Buy the right car new and keep it indefinitely; maintain it faithfully, treat it was care and you'll be surprised how much use it can give you.

I understand the main reason engines fail is because of lack of oil / too infrequent oil changes which typically leads to seized bearings.

Me I'm not Drich. I just responded.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 12th, 2022 at 6:08:46 PM permalink
rxwine
The only Honda I sold in poor condition got hit by a 1 horsepower vehicle.

A cart pulled by a horse. But internally it was still good, just got the side ripped up.
May 12th, 2022 at 8:40:15 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

I change my oil late more often than on time. I rarely wash my vehicles. They get lots of gravel and winter driving time. I check my oil, other fluids and tire pressure regularly. I always drive on good tires because of the winter driving in poor road conditions. I don't warm my vehicle up unless it is colder than -30C.

My current vehicles have about 200K km on one and 300K km on the other. No problems with either one other than normal wear and tear, breaks and mufflers. Steering wheel on the 300K Pacifica is worn smooth. I have had several work pick-ups that I put 400K km to 500K km on. All different brands, everyone makes good vehicles now. I consider vehicles a tool not an extension of my persona.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 12th, 2022 at 11:08:20 PM permalink
missedhervee
Quote: rxwine
Me I'm not Drich. I just responded.

Oops, sorry.
May 13th, 2022 at 4:59:48 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

Nothing is a waste of money. We all just prioritize differently.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.