SCOTUS Vacancy

January 27th, 2022 at 2:58:58 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
I will bet any of my fellow right leaning friends that a Biden nominee for Supreme Court Justice will be confirmed. As it should be. And if by some procedural technicality the a Republicans block Breyer’s potential replacement, it will come back to bite them. This is 2 years different from Garland, which also was wrong in my opinion. I may be delusional, but I expect the nominee to EXCEED 51 votes. At least two Repubs vote for the nominee.

You are probably right. The GOP does not tend to make nominees an EOTWAWKI war like the Democrats do, though Democrat treatment of Trump nominees may have changed that. I do expect it to be a procedural mess as a deadlocked committee would be very possible.
The President is a fink.
January 27th, 2022 at 3:41:17 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
I agree with SOOPOO. If the President submits a nominee who has been on the bench and is a respected jurist, I expect confirmation to be fairly quick.

If he submits someone like the VP, who knows.

I expect him to nominate someone he can get through the process because that is a win for him. I don’t expect him to nominate someone controversial nor do I think the Republicans will try to one up the Democrats by bringing some folks in to lie about the nominee.

Of course, anything can happen…
January 27th, 2022 at 5:08:05 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: JCW09
Do you think the Nominee gets 51 votes if Kamala Harris is the Nominee?
She checks all the important "legal mind" boxes: Black Skin Color & Acceptable Genitalia
How would a potential 50/50 Senate tie for Nominee Harris be broken?
Would she vote for herself as the VP tie breaker?
That would be an interesting situation.
I don't put anything past Cocaine Mitch, he is smarter than the Dems about how the Senate rules work. Always has been.
He'll argue we should wait for the mid-terms and if the Dems get a Senate Majority, they can put through any Nominee they like.
The Country & Democracy will have spoken on the topic.
Breyer is going to serve out this term anyway, we won't be down to 8 Justices for too long by waiting until 2023.
Oh that's right, the Dems are going to get their heads handed to them in the mid-terms.
Looks like The House Plant will have to compromise & put through a centrist Nominee to have a chance at confirmation.
Don't wait too long, we'll be talking about waiting until after 2024 if The House Plant doesn't hurry.
But maybe this isn't correct procedurally, I am taking the Time article and other news sources on the topic at their word.
It is quite funny that the Dems may find themselves outplayed again. Cocaine Mitch is the best!

Dude, what on Earth is going on with these last few posts?

"The Republicans are so much better at manipulating the political process than the Democrats are; it's a good thing that neither party actually wants to find solutions to the problems the country faces, or we wouldn't be as good at political maneuvering!!! Stupid Democrats. LULZ."

No offense meant, but that's basically how I am reading your posts.

Who should mind a Centrist nominee anyway? In theory, political leanings shouldn't even matter when it comes to SCOTUS appointments because they are just supposed to judge what can or cannot be law in the eyes of their Constitutional interpretations...which is the company line a few of them hide behind just to do the most politically left or politically right decision, depending on who they are.

In any event, I don't really care who the actual nominee/Justice (if confirmed) is, as long as they aren't a complete toady.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 27th, 2022 at 5:10:42 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: RonC
I agree with SOOPOO. If the President submits a nominee who has been on the bench and is a respected jurist, I expect confirmation to be fairly quick.

If he submits someone like the VP, who knows.

I expect him to nominate someone he can get through the process because that is a win for him. I don’t expect him to nominate someone controversial nor do I think the Republicans will try to one up the Democrats by bringing some folks in to lie about the nominee.

Of course, anything can happen…

They can't nominate Harris because every ruling, assenting opinion or dissenting opinion will start with, "There was a little girl who was bussed to school in California," and end with, "That little girl was me."

Historians will be reading SCOTUS decisions 200 years from now and asking, "Why is there a stump speech in all of this lady's opinions?"
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 27th, 2022 at 6:00:51 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

For righties who are upset that Biden has promised to nominate a black woman, I have one simple question: why do you hate black people?

Clearly it is okay to nominate white women.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 27th, 2022 at 7:59:19 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: ams288

For righties who are upset that Biden has promised to nominate a black woman, I have one simple question: why do you hate black people?

Clearly it is okay to nominate white women.

Because it is racist to treat someone differently based on skin colour?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 27th, 2022 at 8:14:33 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: kenarman

lol

Systemic reverse racism isn’t a thing.

There has never been a black woman on the Supreme Court. Saying it is “racist” to want to right that wrong is incredibly stupid.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 27th, 2022 at 8:17:43 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: kenarman

Well, just ask what would be the liberal reaction if a POTUS said, "I want to appoint a white male to SCOTUS!"??
The President is a fink.
January 27th, 2022 at 8:18:44 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Republicans are trying to target the left for purposely picking blacks for positions and callng it racist. But you probably never hear them saying some of the women they choose to nominate or choose as running mates are also not always based on the most qualified person, but on picking by gender to get votes. Gender discrimination isn't allowed either in the US.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 27th, 2022 at 8:23:31 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Only picking the best qualified person is just another Republican fantasy, they don't live up to in reality. They want womens' votes even if they can't get the majority of black votes.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?