SCOTUS Vacancy

January 27th, 2022 at 9:19:14 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: SOOPOO
My perspective does matter. If Biden selects a black woman for SCOTUS, great! If he selects a person BECAUSE she is a black woman, not great. The simple question I’d ask is this…. If this person you are selecting was a white man, would you still make the same selection? If the answer is yes, then all good. If the answer is, no, I wouldn’t select a white man with the same qualifications, then all bad.

Multiple perspectives matter. For example, not that native Americans would have joined our early government or even been allowed, there certainly were lots of disadvantages as most existed outside the system.

Using your own position, it would be completely fair to have the court filled with 12 white liberals if they were the most highly qualified. Because we would only use the highly qualified.

That would make me happy. But that's the problem with your position.

Look at an international situation going on right how. Putin has said "Ukraine is not even a real country" You think being qualified is the only thing to worry about there?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 28th, 2022 at 12:20:13 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
It's clear as clear can be as to why he said he'll nominate a black woman: three words...

"Black Lives Matter"

It's a sop to the progressives.
January 28th, 2022 at 2:02:03 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: JCW09
Really Ed, you went there?
I am not the one that made sure all my pills were gone in the box marked "Thur".
You may want to look in the mirror when talking about those that "need to seek out help"
$10 says I am the one that gets suspended for bringing up mental health issues.
What a joke!

Coming on a board livid and angry at a complete stranger over meaningless politics is no way to go through life
Please get some help
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 28th, 2022 at 2:38:40 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: SOOPOO
My perspective does matter. If Biden selects a black woman for SCOTUS, great! If he selects a person BECAUSE she is a black woman, not great. The simple question I’d ask is this…. If this person you are selecting was a white man, would you still make the same selection? If the answer is yes, then all good. If the answer is, no, I wouldn’t select a white man with the same qualifications, then all bad.

We need a diverse court
When the Supreme Court was made of just White men
They made some of the worst decisions courts have ever made in the history of mankind
How can you deny Black people the vote for over a 100 years.
How can you deny Women the right to vote for over a hundred years
The history of the Supreme Court has been awful due to lack of diversity.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 28th, 2022 at 3:22:50 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
The best way to announce the appointment of any Justice is to say that the person you are nominating is the best qualified person for the position and that the record of judicial ability and the record clearly shows it.

No need for color or race…that would be obvious to all anyway.
January 28th, 2022 at 4:13:54 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: RonC
The best way to announce the appointment of any Justice is to say that the person you are nominating is the best qualified person for the position and that the record of judicial ability and the record clearly shows it.

No need for color or race…that would be obvious to all anyway.

It is sort of like going to a used car lot and saying you want a red car. Toyota Camry or F-150 does not matter, just that it is red.
The President is a fink.
January 28th, 2022 at 5:43:49 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: ams288
lol

Systemic reverse racism isn’t a thing.

There has never been a black woman on the Supreme Court. Saying it is “racist” to want to right that wrong is incredibly stupid.

There hasn't been an Asian anybody on the Supreme Court...and that's just if you group up all Asians without looking at the individual countries that make up Asia. Have we had a Hispanic man on there yet? I know Sotomayor is a Hispanic woman, does that also cover Hispanic man...is it like a two-for-one combo package?

Anyway, I don't really care because I'm sure there are several African-American women qualified to be on SCOTUS, so it really doesn't make a difference what the race and the gender of the person is, at least, not to me. You guys just keep on making race and gender the determinant of everything and calling everyone else racists and chauvinists, though.

Also, do we have any homosexuals on SCOTUS? Don't forget about the transexuals, make sure to get one of those on there ASAP.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 28th, 2022 at 5:54:13 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Mission146
Also, do we have any homosexuals on SCOTUS? Don't forget about the transexuals, make sure to get one of those on there ASAP.

Not currently. Probably some closeted ones in the past though.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 28th, 2022 at 6:18:03 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
See, the thing is they are not saying they will pick a woman before even starting the process. That is just who they pick.

Biden is saying, "Since skin color is the most important thing I will pick a black woman."

IOW, Biden is ruling out over 95% of possible picks based on skin color and gender! Then Democrats have the stones to say "SKIN COLOR SHOULD NOT MATTER!"

I'm going to agree with AZDuffman on the optic, but disagree with those (and I don't know if AZDuffman is one) who would suggest that Biden is passing over the, "Most qualified candidate."

Other than that which is specified by the Constitution, which isn't a whole lot, I don't know what the, 'Qualifications,' for SCOTUS are, but they seem to mostly just be having a clean judicial record at a federal level and the POTUS wanting to nominate you. With that, I'm not convinced that there is anyone out there who is vastly, 'More qualified,' than any other person, but maybe I'm surrounded by advanced judicial Constitutional scholars everywhere I go and I just don't know it.

The optic is pretty poor if he said, in advance, that he was looking for a black woman to nominate. I don't know if that's true, of course, but it probably is because he telegraphed that VPOTUS must be a woman.

Anyway, telegraphing it in advance lends the opportunity to make the argument and also unfairly sullies the reputation of that justice, in the eyes of some Americans, because it does create an opportunity to argue that the person was only nominated due to race/gender, even though many of the people making said complaint couldn't spell, "Judicial," on the first try.

My opinion is that Biden should not have telegraphed it and just quietly nominated a black woman. Again, I'm certain there are plenty who are qualified. If he had done that and you heard people say, "He only nominated her because she's a black woman!", then you could easily criticize those people, but any and all criticisms along those lines are gone when Biden himself tells you those are two of the criteria required to get the nomination.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 28th, 2022 at 6:22:38 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: ams288
Not currently. Probably some closeted ones in the past though.

My main point is Asians and those of Asian descent, 5.7% of the population, by the way...should be royally ticked off. As long as we are basing nominations, at least in part, on race and/or gender, then it's probably time to get an Asian on SCOTUS before a black woman specifically. We already have women, one a minority, and a black man, but never an Asian.