SCOTUS Vacancy

September 21st, 2020 at 12:19:30 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: aceofspades
Just a clarification on the "Biden Rule"

The "Biden Rule" became customary when the POTUS and party controlling the Senate were DIFFERENT parties -- when they were the same party, no such "Rule" existed

It would definitely help your case if Republicans had specified this in 2016 (they didn’t).
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 21st, 2020 at 12:19:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Remember in 2013 when Harry Reid got
rid of the 60 vote rule for SCOTUS
confirmation and made it 51 votes?
He was warned by McConnell that
this would bite him on the ass
big time some day. That day is here.

Reid and Obama were 100% convinced
they would be in power till 2024,
Hillary was a given and they wanted'
to pack the court with 15 Lib judges
so it would be Lib forever. This is
just one of the reasons they went
insane when Trump won, and are
still insane over it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 21st, 2020 at 12:42:18 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
Remember in 2013 when Harry Reid got
rid of the 60 vote rule for SCOTUS
confirmation and made it 51 votes?

WRONG!!!!

Quote:
In November 2013, Senate Democrats led by Harry Reid used the nuclear option to eliminate the 60-vote rule on executive branch nominations and federal judicial appointments, but not for the Supreme Court. In April 2017, Senate Republicans led by Mitch McConnell extended the nuclear option to Supreme Court nominations in order to end debate on the nomination of Neil Gorsuch.

Durrrrrrr...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 21st, 2020 at 1:06:19 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
Quite possible but it is also likely that Elvis has eaten him by now.

The joke when Jerry Garcia died is that he couldn't wait to tell Elvis his daughter married Michael Jackson
by the way
I'm a huge huge Jerry Garcia fan
So much of a fan, I boarded a plane from the east coast to the west coast not to see the Grateful Dead but to see the Jerry Garcia band at the Kaiser Auditorium in Oakland. Killer show. Glad I made the trip
Jerry Garcia is dead. :-( Not sure about Elvis, Michael or RBG :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 21st, 2020 at 1:25:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: terapined
The joke when Jerry Garcia died is that he couldn't wait to tell Elvis his daughter married Michael Jackson
by the way)

I was reading some bio stuff on Steven Tyler of Aerosmith. He said his drug problem got so bad even Jerry Garcia was worried about him. Which I guess is funny because Garcia's drug use was also legendary.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 21st, 2020 at 1:39:55 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: rxwine
I was reading some bio stuff on Steven Tyler of Aerosmith. He said his drug problem got so bad even Jerry Garcia was worried about him. Which I guess is funny because Garcia's drug use was also legendary.

Yup
The Dead scheduled some shows in Europe early in their career and Jerry was leary of going till Keith Richards of the Stones guaranteed he could hook up Jerry with his dealer
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 21st, 2020 at 2:16:27 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman
The funniest part is the liberals crying about all this when we all know if they had power they would ram a justice thru as fast as possible.

It is what both parties do. Remember the vote to approve Obamacare without the slightest idea what was actually in the bill? Without any idea how it was going to be paid for? Without any idea how it would affect those wanting to 'keep your own doctor'?
I still think this is a big mistake for Trump. If he was smart (hold the guffaws) he would know who he is going to choose, have that person vetted, and be prepared to nominate him/her the day after the election, win or lose. If he wins then the process will move smoothly. If he loses, the Democrats will do everything in their power to block the nomination, but probably will not be able to. So he gets his desired result either way. It will be SUPER interesting if the Republicans lose the Senate as well. I have no idea if the minority can stop this or if McConnell can get the nomination through?
September 21st, 2020 at 2:22:07 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
The funniest part is the liberals crying about all this when we all know if they had power they would ram a justice thru as fast as possible.

Just heard Obama give a 5 min speech
in 16 on how it was had a right to nominate
a justice and the Senate had to act on it
even in an election year. This has happened
29 times and the only time a nomination
didn't happen was when the president and
Senate were different parties. When they
were the same party, as they are now,
the nomination went thru in the election
year.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 21st, 2020 at 2:27:15 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
It is what both parties do. Remember the vote to approve Obamacare without the slightest idea what was actually in the bill? Without any idea how it was going to be paid for? Without any idea how it would affect those wanting to 'keep your own doctor'?
I still think this is a big mistake for Trump. If he was smart (hold the guffaws) he would know who he is going to choose, have that person vetted, and be prepared to nominate him/her the day after the election, win or lose. If he wins then the process will move smoothly. If he loses, the Democrats will do everything in their power to block the nomination, but probably will not be able to. So he gets his desired result either way. It will be SUPER interesting if the Republicans lose the Senate as well. I have no idea if the minority can stop this or if McConnell can get the nomination through?

The problem is there is a very good chance Biden will not accept the results if he loses and will make a court fight like Gore did when he refused to accept the results. This time the plan will be to get state supremes to add time to the deadline to receive mail-in ballots. Already happened in PA.

The logical thing to do if we are to have mail-in in the first place is the deadline is received by election day. Period. No postmark by, etc. What comes in the day after the election goes in the trash. But in a search for votes to stuff they will try to get it extended. So we need a full court to prevent a potential 4-4 tie.
The President is a fink.
September 21st, 2020 at 2:49:14 PM permalink
terapined
What frightens me about a right wing court
Shoving religion down my throat by making abortion illegal