SCOTUS Vacancy

September 21st, 2020 at 3:40:27 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined
What frightens me about a right wing court
Shoving religion down my throat by making abortion illegal

The legal doctrine of stare decisis, which means “to stand by things decided,” requires courts to treat similar cases alike, Chief Justice Roberts wrote in June. Otherwise, it’s difficult for Americans to know what the law actually says.
September 21st, 2020 at 3:55:30 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Pacomartin
The legal doctrine of stare decisis, which means “to stand by things decided,” requires courts to treat similar cases alike, Chief Justice Roberts wrote in June. Otherwise, it’s difficult for Americans to know what the law actually says.

Whether or not the Supreme Court must follow its own prior rulings is hotly debated.

We would not have had the decision in Brown v. Board of Education had the SCOTUS adhered to stare decisis (overruling Plessy v Ferguson)
September 21st, 2020 at 4:00:20 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
The legal doctrine of stare decisis, which means “to stand by things decided,” requires courts to treat similar cases alike, Chief Justice Roberts
wrote in June. Otherwise, it’s difficult for Americans to know what the law actually says.

Chief Justice Roberts will no longer have the power “to stand by things decided”
The conservatives have been able to erode abortion rights by making it virtually impossible in some states for poor people to practice that right.
Often you need to have the means to have that procedure out of state now if you live in one of the restrictive states.
It would not surprise me with a conservative majority against abortion, that half the states will pass laws essentially outlawing abortion by making it exceedingly difficult.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 21st, 2020 at 5:46:09 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
What frightens me about a right wing court
Shoving religion down my throat by making abortion illegal

I don't consider abortion to be a religious issue. I tend to be conservative and I think abortion should be the default for every child that the parent can not prove that they can support and educate. No lives matter.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 21st, 2020 at 8:50:19 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
My feeling about ACB

She sides with the Government on virtually every case:

A couple of examples:
https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/ca7/20-1041/20-1041-2020-09-02.html

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000174-572b-d057-a37d-7fef3ec60000

Belongs to a religious group that basically has her taking directions from leaders in the group and she has previously stated judges should recuse themselves on cases wherein the Vatican has committed to a firm stance on the issues therein
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/28/us/amy-coney-barrett-nominee-religion.html
September 22nd, 2020 at 3:01:53 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: aceofspades
Whether or not the Supreme Court must follow its own prior rulings is hotly debated.

We would not have had the decision in Brown v. Board of Education had the SCOTUS adhered to stare decisis (overruling Plessy v Ferguson)

I keep wondering why nobody brings that one up when the subject of Roe is discussed. I had to do a paper on Brown when I was in 9th grade so know more about that overturn than most folks. Roe may be revisited and if it is and is found to be faulty then so be it.
The President is a fink.
September 22nd, 2020 at 4:41:29 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Evenbob
Obama tried anything he could
to jam his pick thru the Senate.
McConnell shut him down saying
it was pointless in an election
year for a Dem president and
a Rep Senate to even attempt
it.

Anything he could? I think the only thing he, "Tried," was he tried to follow the Constitutional abilities granted to his office.

Anyway, Mitch's argument was nonsensical then and remains nonsensical now. The only reason that they should wait until after the Election (and not do it during the lame duck period if Biden wins) is because that would prove them to be hypocrites...not that hypocrisy is anything new for either party.

Also, why would it be pointless? SCOTUS nominees are often approved by a fairly wide margin once it gets to the point of an open hearing on the person.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 22nd, 2020 at 4:46:40 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Tripdufan
Record low unemployment before the Trump virus? A trend he inherited but actually managed to underperform in.

Average monthly job gains last two years of Obama - 215k

Average monthly job gains first two years of Trump - 185k

I mean, if there were job gains under Obama (which there were) that's theoretically fewer jobs that could be gained under Trump. Therefore, I would suggest that the numbers don't represent a failing or underperformance of any kind (in this regard) just that there was less room for improvement than there was during Obama.

Quote:
You seem to forget or ignore the fact that TRUMP SHUT THE ECONOMY DOWN. It was HIS task force that recommended the shut downs. And of course we did it half ass because he was worried about the economy and opened back up too soon. We got the worst of both worlds as a result.

Trump owns this pandemic at this point. Arguing otherwise is laughable.

But according to you and him, he “assumes zero responsibility” for the devastation that’s transpired on his watch. Shame on him and shame on his enablers.

What are you talking about here? This was mostly handled by the individual states; a recommendation is not a mandate.

But, I do agree we should have shut it down longer if that's the way we were going to go with it...though I would have preferred no shutdowns at all. For the most part, we basically just caused a bunch of chaos with it.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 22nd, 2020 at 4:49:24 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
And you seem to forget the idea was to shut it for 2-3 weeks to "flatten the curve." We are near 200 days now! Trump wanted to open back up around Easter.

And why are you not happy about things being shut? I mean, you are on here crying he has not done enough.

We heard millions would die. Only at 200,000. 96% of which it was just one of several causes. That is very good results. Plus be sure to back out the deaths in nursing homes where Democrat governors forced placement of infected people.

He does in that he did not release the china virus on the population. Things like this happen. To blame the POTUS for it is to be acting like a 6 year old.

Oh, and you still did not say what Biden would be doing to end the china virus.

Sorry, your boy called the Swine Flu response (around 17k deaths) a failure before fully comprehending (or, at least, before publicly admitting) how serious COVID could be. Obviously, I know that the two things are totally different, but Donny set the bar on this one when he ran his mouth.

Therefore, if 17k deaths is a, "Failure," due to, "Incompetent handling," this is more than 10x a failure.
September 22nd, 2020 at 4:54:01 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
I mean, if there were job gains under Obama (which there were) that's theoretically fewer jobs that could be gained under Trump. Therefore, I would suggest that the numbers don't represent a failing or underperformance of any kind (in this regard) just that there was less room for improvement than there was during Obama.

I will keep saying it. The employment/placement industry had their phones ring off the hook by the Thursday after the election. Place I worked at we lost our outsource contract because they took the work back in-house. Total "new sheriff in town" feel. Look at the market boom. Night of elections DOW futures were cratering, because it was all overseas traders. By mid morning it was all recovered and then lots more.

Obama was kind of like a bad salesman selling a hot product. Some people will buy no matter what. The economy will move along no matter what. That is what happened under Obama.
The President is a fink.