Since out of Africa what are the main branches of homo sapiens?

May 25th, 2013 at 8:21:17 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

The Australian article on the Denisovians contained this image

Although the article is about the genetic testing on a finger found in the Denisovia Cave in Siberia, the graph was interesting to me.

Although I am used to the "out of Africa" theory, I had never seen it being fundamentally broken into the triad consisting of French, Han Chinese, and Melanesians.

Am I just out of it, or does everyone know this chart (except for the Denisovians which are a recent discovery)
May 25th, 2013 at 9:20:32 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
A DNA difference between Neanderthals and Homo Sapiens? Or just a nutritional difference, particularly iodine?
May 26th, 2013 at 8:34:27 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
Or just a nutritional difference, particularly iodine?

An estimated 1 to 4 percent of the DNA in Europeans and Asians (French, Chinese and Papua probands) is non-modern, and shared with ancient Neanderthal DNA rather than with Sub-Saharan Africans (Yoruba and San probands). Nonetheless, more recent genetic studies seem to suggest that modern humans may have mated with "at least two groups" of ancient humans: Neanderthals and Denisovans.

23 and me regularly reports a small percentage Neanderthal and Denisovian ancestry to people who take their test.