POTUS ELECTION 2024

Page 1 of 41234>
October 2nd, 2020 at 8:23:37 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Greetings!

The first thing I want to say is that I am not offering an opinion that Trump will lose this year. The purpose of this thread is nothing other than to present a hypothetical question of, "What Will 2024 look like if he does lose?"

The Electoral College and over reliance on National polls being what they are; I definitely consider Biden the slight favorite, at this point, but nowhere near a mortal lock.

(Yes, you are being asked to assume Trump loses just for the purpose of this discussion)

Anyway, I'm going to throw out a few questions to get the conversation started:

1.) If Joe Biden lives that long, do you believe he would run for reelection?

2.) If Joe Biden does not live that long, do you believe (then President) Kamala Harris would be the 2024 Democratic Nominee?

3.) If Joe Biden lives that long, do you think Trump would run again in 2024?

4.) If Harris becomes POTUS (obviously without knowing if she will be nominated) do you think Trump would run again in 2024?

5.) Does Trump have an actual threat in terms of losing the Republican Nomination in 2024, if that happened? If so, who?

After all, though I'm certain the bitterly partisan nature of the country helps this a little bit, Trump's approval numbers amongst Republicans are essentially as high as we've ever seen for any Republican President.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
October 2nd, 2020 at 8:45:30 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Mission146
Greetings!

The first thing I want to say is that I am not offering an opinion that Trump will lose this year. The purpose of this thread is nothing other than to present a hypothetical question of, "What Will 2024 look like if he does lose?"

The Electoral College and over reliance on National polls being what they are; I definitely consider Biden the slight favorite, at this point, but nowhere near a mortal lock.

(Yes, you are being asked to assume Trump loses just for the purpose of this discussion)

Anyway, I'm going to throw out a few questions to get the conversation started:

1.) If Joe Biden lives that long, do you believe he would run for reelection?

2.) If Joe Biden does not live that long, do you believe (then President) Kamala Harris would be the 2024 Democratic Nominee?

3.) If Joe Biden lives that long, do you think Trump would run again in 2024?

4.) If Harris becomes POTUS (obviously without knowing if she will be nominated) do you think Trump would run again in 2024?

5.) Does Trump have an actual threat in terms of losing the Republican Nomination in 2024, if that happened? If so, who?

After all, though I'm certain the bitterly partisan nature of the country helps this a little bit, Trump's approval numbers amongst Republicans are essentially as high as we've ever seen for any Republican President.

Not sure why I am responding.... as There are so many if's involved.... but I'll tell you this.... if Trump loses, I'll bet you any reasonable amount of money that he is NOT the nominee in 2024. He's already too old..... and add 4 years......
October 2nd, 2020 at 8:51:37 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Yet ANOTHER election thread?

BLOCKED!!!
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 2nd, 2020 at 8:52:20 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
Yet ANOTHER election thread?

BLOCKED!!!

Good. Now the real fun can begin!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 2nd, 2020 at 8:53:34 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: SOOPOO
Not sure why I am responding.... as There are so many if's involved.... but I'll tell you this.... if Trump loses, I'll bet you any reasonable amount of money that he is NOT the nominee in 2024. He's already too old..... and add 4 years......

What kind of odds are we talking about? Actually, I guess we've got a month before you really (might) need to contemplate that. A secondary question is whether or not death would be a part of those odds or would result in a no bet.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
October 2nd, 2020 at 8:55:40 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Would all of those trump supporters who think Biden is too old to be president suddenly change their tune?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 2nd, 2020 at 8:56:56 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Dalex64
Would all of those trump supporters who think Biden is too old to be president suddenly change their tune?

Would you expect otherwise? I sure as hell wouldn't. They've certainly mostly changed their opinion on nominating SCOTUS Justices so closely to an election.
October 2nd, 2020 at 9:00:44 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: Mission146
What kind of odds are we talking about? Actually, I guess we've got a month before you really (might) need to contemplate that. A secondary question is whether or not death would be a part of those odds or would result in a no bet.

Your original post implies that he would be the FAVORITE to be re-nominated, in that you are asking IF there is an ACTUAL THREAT to his renomination. So as a kindness to you, I'd be willing to take even money. Of course if he dies I would win the bet, unless he was nominated posthumously!

By the way... I think we have a bet or two outstanding? Not that I actually remember...... LOL!
October 2nd, 2020 at 9:04:39 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: Dalex64

I think Trump is too old as well..... but I can't exactly say why, but I think re-election is slightly different than initial election. Example was Reagan, who had 'good people' in important places who covered for his growing cognitive decline during his second term.

As I've said multiple times.... I was against most of Obama's policies, but i think he was the right age to be President, with enough life experience but not 'over the hill' yet.

2024 we see Harris versus Haley. Can't wait!
October 2nd, 2020 at 9:06:23 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: SOOPOO
Your original post implies that he would be the FAVORITE to be re-nominated, in that you are asking IF there is an ACTUAL THREAT to his renomination. So as a kindness to you, I'd be willing to take even money. Of course if he dies I would win the bet, unless he was nominated posthumously!

By the way... I think we have a bet or two outstanding? Not that I actually remember...... LOL!

You'd have to be the one to remember because I certainly don't. Please let me know, if so. I don't know that the two of us have ever directly bet on anything recently. I think there may have been a $2 bet once, but I believe that has been resolved.

Anyway, I think he would be the FAVORITE assuming that he wanted to run for the Republican Nomination. I guess that's the part I'd have to think about. I'm going to decline even money at this time if death is not a push. Also, probably pragmatic to see if he wins/loses this year in the first place.
Page 1 of 41234>