The Biden Presidency 2021

September 14th, 2021 at 11:29:42 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: ams288
Saw a White Castle advertising they’re hiring starting at $15/hr. Saw a McDonalds advertising $15/hr and $16/hr for “premium shifts.” Then I saw a Little Caesars advertising $12/hr.

Hmmm... which one would you choose?

I guess that would depend on which one I was offered, were I looking for a job. I've got some food handling and restaurant/bar, but virtually zero fast food experience.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 14th, 2021 at 11:44:29 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Mission146
I guess that would depend on which one I was offered, were I looking for a job. I've got some food handling and restaurant/bar, but virtually zero fast food experience.

No joke: drove past a restaurant that had a sign in front that read:

“Do you have a pulse? Apply inside!”

They’re all desperate.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 14th, 2021 at 12:18:04 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: ams288
No joke: drove past a restaurant that had a sign in front that read:

“Do you have a pulse? Apply inside!”

They’re all desperate.

They won't be when the labor market is flooded from the supply side.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 14th, 2021 at 12:28:08 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146
They won't be when the labor market is flooded from the supply side.

Unless you're signing a long term contract, an employees market power is pretty fragile for low or semi-skilled jobs.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 14th, 2021 at 12:35:03 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
The $300 supplemental pandemic unemployment benefit, that made it advantageous to stay unemployed, ended on Sept. 6th. That should drive people back to work.
September 14th, 2021 at 1:10:02 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Tanko
The $300 supplemental pandemic unemployment benefit, that made it advantageous to stay unemployed, ended on Sept. 6th. That should drive people back to work.

Yea right
All the help wanted signs will go away due to 300 measly dollars (sarcasm)
Are you serious?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 14th, 2021 at 4:57:52 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I wonder where all these people go that have infiltrated our border? Tens of thousands per month or more. Back in the day they would filter into the underground economy, mostly ag or textile. But there are millions of folks that need and consume the essentials every day.

My entire youth, everyone I knew worked, it wasn't looked down on, people shuffling for better work was a way of life. I had lots of jobs that didn't pay a "living wage", but I stayed in beer, cigs and had a car.

Are we gearing up for a big labor shock? I remember Reagan, he almost bankrupted me and I had a lot of resources and was not afraid to travel at all.

This whole thing has went bizarre. My daughter just called and said every teacher at pre school now has covid, so that and day care is shut down. Strange times.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 15th, 2021 at 4:10:04 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: petroglyph
I wonder where all these people go that have infiltrated our border? Tens of thousands per month or more.

A lot more than tens of thousands.

Border encounters are at a 20 year high.

"The U.S. Border Patrol reported nearly 200,000 encounters with migrants along the U.S.-Mexico border in July, the highest monthly total in more than two decades."

All of them are released into the country at US taxpayer expense.

No estimates on the number entering the country unseen.
September 15th, 2021 at 4:12:42 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

"The U.S. Border Patrol reported nearly 200,000 encounters with migrants along the U.S.-Mexico border in July, the highest monthly total in more than two decades."

Good. We could use the workers.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 15th, 2021 at 8:19:43 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

I'm ok with it
More hard workers entering the country
Cool
I'm feeling more comfortable since I also wasn't born in this country
This is what makes this country so great
Immigration
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"