Republican Nominee 2024

January 6th, 2021 at 5:09:12 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Mission146
Probable? So...what kind of odds will you lay for me to take?

Hah ha. I should have said extremely easy to pull off without complications which I still believe is absolutely true under those conditions. BUT...Most politicians aren't interested in resigning, which is why we have terms limits. So, I'm sure not going to bet on it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 6th, 2021 at 5:37:25 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Gandler
Yes. (Though where I am from in NJ is very much Trump country as well.... very conservative....) GA is blue now, things are changing.

Georgia is blue this time, at least to the limited extent that being blue is marginally better than being red. I apologize, but you have a state in which 79% of the inhabitants identify as some variant of Christian, so I have no faith in them. Well, not in the white ones, anyway.

Quote:
I did not know that, but its not a huge surprise, there are only two senators for each state, and election only every 6 years, so slow change does not surprise me in the Senate (especially when 1 person often stays in the seat for so long).

That's a fair point. Still thirteen states to work with, though.

Quote:
Personally I do not care about race, I care about who will best succeed for the goals I want for America. I voted for Warnock (in the runoff) because he is a solid candidate and lives in the same city that I do (he can be a bit too religious, but what can you do....). I also liked his endorsement from President Obama.

I don't care about race, either. The problem is never the people who don't care about race, but the people who do, regardless of what side they are on. In the same situation, I'd have probably voted for Warnock just by virtue of the fact that he's not a creepy robot, like his opponent. I can't even believe that she racked up as many votes as she did! Did anyone in Georgia watch that de---

Oh, right, Georgia. They didn't.

Quote:
But, I am not going to lie, I did not vote for him in the initial election (I voted for a different Democrat, who I honestly cannot remember, I usually compare their websites and see which one has the most policies that I agree with and make a note to vote for them, at the time the Senate race was not as crucial so it did not stand out in my mind), just the runoff.
But, when it comes down to just one D and one R, well he gets my vote for sure (especially over the insane opponent who was appointed, not even elected, to her seat and is the richest person in congress....).

I'd have voted for Perdue just because I wouldn't want the Democrats to have a Senate majority. If the Loeffler/Warnock race alone would have decided Senate majority, hypothetically speaking, I'd have just abstained from voting.

Quote:
I love GA. I know you hate the South for personal reasons which is fine.

It's nothing personal. It's purely driven by statistics. Oh, and the appalling Southern accent...but that's very secondary.

Quote:
I will move again at some point, but it probably will still be in what you consider "the South" (Texas, Florida, or Nevada would be my three prime areas of interest at least as far as in the country, Nevada may be the one location that is not "South").

Florida gets a pass as it is comprised of a not insignificant amount of Northerners. I'm actually considering moving to Neptune Beach (Jacksonville area) when my kids are grown up. I doubt if I'd ever vote again. I'll be too busy collecting seashells.

Quote:
But, I just got a new job that I love in a very small city in GA, so it will not be anytime in the immediate future. (I am also not a cold person, and especially not a snow person, another reason I love the South).

I like the cold. The only thing I don't like is having to scrape the car off for ten minutes and wait another ten for it to finish defrosting before you can go anywhere. I'd probably never say a bad thing about Winter if I didn't drive.

Quote:
I think that your perception of the south is based on rural areas. Urban areas in the south are pretty much identical to urban areas in the north.
I am sure Pittsburg is a great city, but I just cannot see myself living there. I'd love to visit there sometime though, I am sure it is a great place and lots to do, I love to travel (when things are more normal).

I know I'm further from Southern Rural areas now than I would be if I lived in the South. I imagine you let those insufferable people into your cities sometimes. No thanks.

Pittsburgh is boring and there's not much to do at all. The food is just okay (good Italian, pizza and sandwiches) and we have a few sports teams that win a good bit of the time, except the Pirates. I will say that I like the people more than most other places I've been, minimally polite without being fakes about it...like people in the South are.

Quote:
But, honestly, I do not focus on the North/South divide to me, its just America and I happen to live in a State that is in the Southern reason, if anything I break things down state by state (and eventually city by city) to see where I would like living and what is offered etc....

That's a nice thing for you to say. I'm not gathering around the campfire now just because Trump is out. I'd just as soon let the Rebels have their precious little country back as long as we can effectuate it without any bloodshed as well as keep open borders and trade. Maybe give people a year to get out of one place or another and become citizens in the other country.

The Christians can get gone. Their numbers are dwindling, slowly. It won't happen in my lifetime, but I take comfort knowing that one day they will be nothing more than a fringe religion that is mostly ignored. Ridiculed, when not ignored. Eventually, perhaps discriminated against and marginalized, socially ostracized, refused employment, refused to be allowed to be open about their religion in places of business or not be served...and that will be only a small fraction of the evils that they have caused throughout Millenia.

Quote:
That is all true, but it is still worth pointing out how insane and unprecedented it is. (especially because almost all of the right here operate under the assumption that it is normal behavior).

Actually, it makes total sense. For one thing, Trump's probably got to try to hold onto popularity and be the one being talked about for as long as possible. If not to satisfy his own ego (which is part of it), then also because you don't have to make a comeback if you never left the scene. He just has to make sure that he doesn't wear himself too thin even with his supporters. The second reason is, of all of the times he could possibly announce, that one would make the biggest splash...especially if some people see it as an inevitability anyway.

Think about it: What generates more buzz: Announcing minutes before Biden is sworn into office or on June 27th, 2023?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 6th, 2021 at 6:11:28 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

I know I'm further from Southern Rural areas now than I would be if I lived in the South. I imagine you let those insufferable people into your cities sometimes. No thanks.

WTF
Pretty ignorant
I'm a huge bluegrass fan
I absolutely loved going to music festivals in the South and hanging with southern music fans
Salt of the earth people.
That wonderful southern hospitality where a stranger will treat you like family
Being at a Allman Brothers concert in the South is real southern pride
Pride for that rich history of music that started the the greats in Blues the Allman Brothers revered.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 6th, 2021 at 6:16:13 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: terapined

That wonderful southern hospitality where a stranger will treat you like family

(Quote clipped)

And talk badly about you the second you're out of earshot. They can take their, "Southern Hospitality," and shove it up their collective @$$3$.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 6th, 2021 at 6:18:22 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Not to mention the various social injustices that have been done and incalculable restrictions of personal freedoms over the decades and centuries of this country. It all starts with their churches. The only positive about the impending take over by radical liberal politics...which will probably be complete in 20-30 years, is at least it means the Christians lose.
January 6th, 2021 at 6:18:55 PM permalink
terapined
(Quote clipped)

And talk badly about you the second you're out of earshot. They can take their, "Southern Hospitality," and shove it up their collective @$$3$.

What happened
Why the hate?
Are you serious?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 6th, 2021 at 6:21:32 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Georgia is blue this time, at least to the limited extent that being blue is marginally better than being red. I apologize, but you have a state in which 79% of the inhabitants identify as some variant of Christian, so I have no faith in them. Well, not in the white ones, anyway.

How are black (or Asian) Christians better than white Christians? Some of the most religious Christians I know are black and Asian (as far as actually taking it seriously)? I disagree with a lot of what you believe, but this may be one of the more absurd statements.

I am too lazy to look it up right now, but on social issues, I think black Christians tend to be "worse" (or better I guess if you are a true Christian). Even Al Sharpton has given statements on how black churches don't recognize gay rights for the civil rights issue that it is. Its a taboo subject that only a handful of atheist speakers will even briefly touch on (because its so much easier and more accepted to target stereotypical "redneck" Christians).

Personally I think race does not matter, anyone who takes there religion too seriously can be a problem. And, I suspect (just hypothesizing, no data), immigrants who "find" Christianity tend to take it far more seriously. The same is true in Islam, there is some saying that I am probably badly paraphrasing , "Its usually the converts that are the extremists"..... People or groups who are new to a religion tend to embrace it and live by it more than people who grow up being told "well you were baptized as a baby so you are a Christian" etc....

That's a fair point. Still thirteen states to work with, though.

I am not going to claim to know the history of all Senate races in the South. But, people often bash the low level of women in congress. Sometimes the best qualified person who wants to run is simply a white man. That is why I do not obsess about demographics in regards to office. In the past was this due to sexism and racism? Yes, without a question. In the past forty years was it? Maybe to a far lesser extent, certainly no barrier that cannot be broken (as we have seen).....

I don't care about race, either. The problem is never the people who don't care about race, but the people who do, regardless of what side they are on. In the same situation, I'd have probably voted for Warnock just by virtue of the fact that he's not a creepy robot, like his opponent. I can't even believe that she racked up as many votes as she did! Did anyone in Georgia watch that de---

Oh, right, Georgia. They didn't.

Oh come on man, you are too smart for this. You act like most Americans watch their Senate debate..... Most people simply do not, its reality.

I'd have voted for Perdue just because I wouldn't want the Democrats to have a Senate majority. If the Loeffler/Warnock race alone would have decided Senate majority, hypothetically speaking, I'd have just abstained from voting.

I have mixed feelings about the runoff system for that very reason. I understand the idea behind it. But, I like the option of third party or write ins. I don't know, I have heard very convincing arguments on both sides. But, I know GA is pretty unique in this regard (requiring a firm majority).

It's nothing personal. It's purely driven by statistics. Oh, and the appalling Southern accent...but that's very secondary.

Accent= rural. You almost never hear people talk that way in cities. Anyway that is just social preference not a realistic criticism. Personally I find Boston area accents annoying, but that does not mean I don't love Boston.

Florida gets a pass as it is comprised of a not insignificant amount of Northerners. I'm actually considering moving to Neptune Beach (Jacksonville area) when my kids are grown up. I doubt if I'd ever vote again. I'll be too busy collecting seashells.

Jacksonville is a fun city (largest city in the USA outside of Alaska by land area, they pretty much annexed the whole county, I think Neptune beach is still its own city).

I like the cold. The only thing I don't like is having to scrape the car off for ten minutes and wait another ten for it to finish defrosting before you can go anywhere. I'd probably never say a bad thing about Winter if I didn't drive.

I much prefer the heat.

Pittsburgh is boring and there's not much to do at all. The food is just okay (good Italian, pizza and sandwiches) and we have a few sports teams that win a good bit of the time, except the Pirates. I will say that I like the people more than most other places I've been, minimally polite without being fakes about it...like people in the South are.

Have you been in central PA? .... I think it was Bill Maher who said "PA is Philly on one side and Pittsburg on the other and Alabama in between", they seems fair based on my experience in rural PA (had some family in PA).

That's a nice thing for you to say. I'm not gathering around the campfire now just because Trump is out. I'd just as soon let the Rebels have their precious little country back as long as we can effectuate it without any bloodshed as well as keep open borders and trade. Maybe give people a year to get out of one place or another and become citizens in the other country.

I disagree, I think we have discussed this in prior threads. A centralized strong nation is key.

The Christians can get gone. Their numbers are dwindling, slowly. It won't happen in my lifetime, but I take comfort knowing that one day they will be nothing more than a fringe religion that is mostly ignored. Ridiculed, when not ignored. Eventually, perhaps discriminated against and marginalized, socially ostracized, refused employment, refused to be allowed to be open about their religion in places of business or not be served...and that will be only a small fraction of the evils that they have caused throughout Millenia.

All religions eventually become a fringe religion (look at the myths of history). And, then something equally (or even more) insane will emerge (look at Mormonism and more recently scientology)....

That is all true, but it is still worth pointing out how insane and unprecedented it is. (especially because almost all of the right here operate under the assumption that it is normal behavior).

Actually, it makes total sense. For one thing, Trump's probably got to try to hold onto popularity and be the one being talked about for as long as possible. If not to satisfy his own ego (which is part of it), then also because you don't have to make a comeback if you never left the scene. He just has to make sure that he doesn't wear himself too thin even with his supporters. The second reason is, of all of the times he could possibly announce, that one would make the biggest splash...especially if some people see it as an inevitability anyway.

Think about it: What generates more buzz: Announcing minutes before Biden is sworn into office or on June 27th, 2023?

I don't think he can ever wear himself too thin for his supporters sadly.
January 6th, 2021 at 6:25:16 PM permalink
terapined
Not to mention the various social injustices that have been done and incalculable restrictions of personal freedoms over the decades and centuries of this country. It all starts with their churches. The only positive about the impending take over by radical liberal politics...which will probably be complete in 20-30 years, is at least it means the Christians lose.

So your belief is that most southerners are extremists
Your view is pretty shocking to me
You are taking a page out of AZ's playbook, listening to a few extremists and then painting the entire region as extremist
I expect that from AZ
I expected more from you
In reality
If you meet the average southerner, you would probably find that they are just regular folk not much different from yourself
January 6th, 2021 at 6:47:13 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator

How are black (or Asian) Christians better than white Christians? Some of the most religious Christians I know are black and Asian (as far as actually taking it seriously)? I disagree with a lot of what you believe, but this may be one of the more absurd statements.

Well, people tend not to discriminate against their own race, for one thing. I doubt any of those people are discriminating against white people. I should like to think Asians and blacks aren't flying Confederate flags.

Quote:
I am too lazy to look it up right now, but on social issues, I think black Christians tend to be "worse" (or better I guess if you are a true Christian). Even Al Sharpton has given statements on how black churches don't recognize gay rights for the civil rights issue that it is. Its a taboo subject that only a handful of atheist speakers will even briefly touch on (because its so much easier and more accepted to target stereotypical "redneck" Christians).

Maybe. I haven't seen any numbers on that. I don't even really care about the political beliefs as long as they can articulate a reasonable position supporting them that exists somewhere outside of, "The Bible says..." which it often actually doesn't and they usually couldn't anyway.

I'm Agnostic, but in any event, I'll leave it for a non-white person who is inclined as I am to go after those churches. I'll happily reserve my vitriol exclusively for White Christians.

Quote:
Personally I think race does not matter, anyone who takes there religion too seriously can be a problem. And, I suspect (just hypothesizing, no data), immigrants who "find" Christianity tend to take it far more seriously. The same is true in Islam, there is some saying that I am probably badly paraphrasing , "Its usually the converts that are the extremists"..... People or groups who are new to a religion tend to embrace it and live by it more than people who grow up being told "well you were baptized as a baby so you are a Christian" etc....

That's true, but it's not for me to call any of those churches out. I don't know anything about them. I'm well acquainted with White Baptists, and the like, rest assured.

Quote:
I am not going to claim to know the history of all Senate races in the South. But, people often bash the low level of women in congress. Sometimes the best qualified person who wants to run is simply a white man. That is why I do not obsess about demographics in regards to office. In the past was this due to sexism and racism? Yes, without a question. In the past forty years was it? Maybe to a far lesser extent, certainly no barrier that cannot be broken (as we have seen).....

I agree with all of that. Honestly, it just gave me a cheap opportunity to dump on the former Confederate States and their precious Christianity some more. I have no meaningful position to actually defend on this one.

Quote:
Oh come on man, you are too smart for this. You act like most Americans watch their Senate debate..... Most people simply do not, its reality.

Shame that they don't. I watched the Georgia runoff debates. I imagine that, per capita, fewer Georgians likely pay attention than most other states. Probably some reruns of Duck Dynasty they'd rather be watching instead.

Quote:
I have mixed feelings about the runoff system for that very reason. I understand the idea behind it. But, I like the option of third party or write ins. I don't know, I have heard very convincing arguments on both sides. But, I know GA is pretty unique in this regard (requiring a firm majority).

I don't mind running it off until a majority is reached, although, ranked-choice voting essentially accomplishes the same end and only requires one election.

Quote:
Accent= rural. You almost never hear people talk that way in cities. Anyway that is just social preference not a realistic criticism. Personally I find Boston area accents annoying, but that does not mean I don't love Boston.

It's a realistic criticism. These are the same people who say that people who cannot speak English should get out of the country. Their insults would carry more weight if they chose to speak the language properly themselves.

Quote:
Jacksonville is a fun city (largest city in the USA outside of Alaska by land area, they pretty much annexed the whole county, I think Neptune beach is still its own city).

It's on the ocean and has a low cost of living. I've never been there. It's also all but out of reach of hurricanes.

Quote:
Have you been in central PA? .... I think it was Bill Maher who said "PA is Philly on one side and Pittsburg on the other and Alabama in between", they seems fair based on my experience in rural PA (had some family in PA).

I sure have. Should the divide ever happen, I strongly encourage them to pack up and head down to the South. They can take their Confederate flags with them.

Quote:
All religions eventually become a fringe religion (look at the myths of history). And, then something equally (or even more) insane will emerge (look at Mormonism and more recently scientology)....

I tend to like most Mormons. I think you might be just focusing on the fringe Mormons who live in their little communes isolated from everyone else, or whatever you would want to call them. The majority of Mormons aren't like that at all. They're also very open to actual meaningful debates about their religion.

Quote:

I don't think he can ever wear himself too thin for his supporters sadly.

Maybe not.
January 6th, 2021 at 6:48:47 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: terapined
So your belief is that most southerners are extremists
Your view is pretty shocking to me
You are taking a page out of AZ's playbook, listening to a few extremists and then painting the entire region as extremist
I expect that from AZ
I expected more from you
In reality
If you meet the average southerner, you would probably find that they are just regular folk not much different from yourself

You think I've never met any of them? I just unleash my full vocabulary in communicating what are otherwise simple ideas. Highly precise words, and all of that. They typically seem to have no idea what the hell I'm saying. It's really amusing to me.