Republican Nominee 2024

January 17th, 2021 at 11:28:48 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: SOOPOO
You may be right. You may be wrong. The difference is is that he was impeached while he was POTUS. And it appears there have been 3 ‘private citizens’, who were no
longer in office that were tried after they were out of office. It seems like before a trial the Supreme Court would rule on it. If I had to bet, I’d bet on a trial, with an acquittal.

I don’t think the Supreme Court will overrule both houses of Congress if they convict him. And besides if it is unconstitutional, John Roberts might want to notify them as there is no point in him showing up to officially preside. Bet Dershowitz didn’t think of that last part.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 17th, 2021 at 11:36:17 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
I don’t think the Supreme Court will overrule both houses of Congress if they convict him. And besides if it is unconstitutional, John Roberts might want to notify them as there is no point in him showing up to officially preside. Bet Dershowitz didn’t think of that last part.

I am sure he did. He is a very smart guy. He has some great views. But, when it comes to legal defenses, he is, well a defense attorney and will only bring up facts in interviews that are beneficial to his clients (that is his job).

He also makes his money defending people like OJ Simpson, Jeffrey Epstein, Julian Assange, Harvey Weinstein, and Donald Trump, so he is great at selective facts....

I would bet some of the same people that are lauding Dershowitz now were eye rolling at his statements in the 90s in defense of Simpson. Again, when they like his client they will believe him vice versa.

Whenever an attorney is talking on behalf of a client you are going to hear selective talking points....
January 17th, 2021 at 7:54:35 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
This impeachment is only going to make the riots in three days on 20 January worse.
The idea of making a lock on 2024 is ridiculous.
January 17th, 2021 at 8:29:47 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Pacomartin
This impeachment is only going to make the riots in three days on 20 January worse.
The idea of making a lock on 2024 is ridiculous.

I doubt it. Security is so beefed up. There is zero chance that people will gain access to restricted areas this time.... There are going to be over 25k armed National Guardsmen plus police pulled in from all over. If you think the same level of "success" (for lack of a better word) will be achieved, it won't. Not to mention new fencing, security barriers, etc.... Plus my guess is this time much more defensive force will be used to quickly restore order, especially now that the National Guard is authorized to be armed (which is a good move, they were not during the last riot, and I think there was only 1K again unarmed).
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/12/national-guard-capitol-armed-weapons-458604

Many States are sending National Guard Soldiers (and Airmen) to supplement the DC National Guard to ensure the peaceful transition of power (since the Federal Military is not allowed to be involved in domestic law enforcement).

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2021/01/14/national-guard-dc-presence-will-swell-to-26000-for-biden-inauguration/

The idea that they will be able to storm the capitol again is laughable. (Well unless you count the Trump family as a protest group, which is accurate, though I am guessing they will be out of DC before he loses power, it sounds like Vice President Pence plans on attending, which is probably not a good idea for him simply because the mob seems to be out to get him more than Democrats, which is just absurd on so many levels....).

As for 2024, Trump not getting convicted and running again would be the best thing for the Democrats since Watergate.

2020 has been a strange year, it will be nice for this craziness to be over in a few weeks when solid leadership is in place and, law and order returns.
January 17th, 2021 at 9:25:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Gandler
As for 2024, Trump not getting convicted and running again would be the best thing for the Democrats since Watergate.

I think the Democrats may use the impeachment as an incentive. Trump stays quiet they may hold off sending it to the Senate. Either way the trial doesn't start until he's out of office so there's no changing that part anyway.

Pelosi may send it off Monday like she said. But I think there is a possibility she holds it up.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 18th, 2021 at 6:50:08 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Evenbob
You mean Dershowitz and a bunch of
other constitutional scholars 'may'
be wrong. They only do this for
a living, why would they be right.
Dershowitz also says the last
impeachment is illegal for about
10 reasons and would be overturned
if challenged. Which nobody will because
Trump is leaving office.

If you have two sets of Constitutional scholars saying two different things, then it's a pretty safe bet one set is wrong. Just look at the Supreme Court--if Constitutional interpretations all pertained to things easily elucidated by the Constitution, then every decision would be 9-0.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 22nd, 2021 at 3:37:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
If Trump starts his own party he
won't be elected in 2024 but it will
be very hard for any candidate
to get 270. So the state's would
vote and there will be more Repub
states than Dem so the Right would
win.

Trump will get a lot of Dem votes
because everybody will be sick
to death of the total incompetence
of Commie/Kammie by then. They
are sick of her now, nobody likes
her, not even women.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 22nd, 2021 at 5:34:12 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
If Trump starts his own party he
won't be elected in 2024 but it will
be very hard for any candidate
to get 270. So the state's would
vote and there will be more Repub
states than Dem so the Right would
win.

Yeah..... no. That’s not how it’d work.

Donny would split the GOP vote and the Dems would win the electoral college in another landslide. Biden would be able to carry states like MI/PA/WI with only ~45% of the vote.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 6th, 2021 at 9:38:41 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I’ve spent the last week in Pigeon Forge, TN aka Trump Country.

I think his hold on people is lessening. A few “Trump 2024” flags/signs here and there, but not nearly as many as I was expecting based on all the flags and stuff we used to see here. All the souvenir shops that have spent the last few years selling mainly Trump merch seem to have moved back to selling generic Smoky Mountain merch for the tourists.

I actually saw one guy wearing a “DeSantis 2024” T-shirt that was done in the Trump campaign format. On the bottom it said “Make America Florida.” I LOLed.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 6th, 2021 at 9:45:43 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
I’ve spent the last week in Pigeon Forge, TN aka Trump Country.

Thats Dolly country
Dolly is pretty progressive and her fans know it and respect it
Dolly could easily beat Trump in Pigeon Forge

Delta has defeated Desantis
St Pete Times did a poll
Desantis would lose Florida Gov race today
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"