Hanukkah Trivia

Page 2 of 3<123>
December 16th, 2020 at 2:48:30 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Some of the funniest stuff that ever came out of "The Daily Show" was in the early days when they really seemed to catch people who were unaware they were 'being had'

Once Colbert interviewed a Rabbi and pretended to be ignorant about Jewish holidays, trying to prompt the guy into agreeing that Hanukkah was the most important Jewish holiday, after all it comes around about the same time as Christmas. Of course the Rabbi tries to set him straight, but it isn't working. Finally something like "Shemini Atzeret" [or whatever] comes up and Colbert says "now you're just making it up" ... the look of astonishment that got was hilarious ... the poor man was totally taken in
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 16th, 2020 at 4:03:14 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/mvygd0/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-oy-to-the-world

They are a lot younger in this video taken 20 years ago.
December 16th, 2020 at 8:21:23 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
you found it! I have to take it back that the Rabbi wasn't in on the joke, though, remembered that wrong I guess

I really liked the show back in those days, never watch it now and don't much care for Colbert now either
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 16th, 2020 at 9:05:47 AM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
As a Hebrew school and Yeshiva attendee, I should know more of these.

Then again, I'm a FORMER Hebrew school and Yeshiva attendee. That was back in the 60's and 70's. These days, I'm Aethiest. And a Reverend. http://www.ReverendDaveMiller.com/

But here goes...

How many candle holders are on a menorah?
Nine - The central candle, plus one for each of the eight days.
Note, the propper name of the Hanukkah menorah is a Hanukkiah.

What game might be played to celebrate Hanukkah?
Dreidel. Want the rules?

What is the name of the first Hanukkah candle to be lit?
I think it's called the Shamis. It's the main candle, with it's holder slightly higher than the others. While it's normally in the middle, it doesn't have to be. The eight candles are added, one per day, from right to left. After the Shamis is lit, it is used to light the other candles, while saying the blessing, and it's from left to right.

What are two of the most popular foods might one eat to celebrate Hanukkah?
Latkes (potato pancakes) which are typically dipped in apple sauce.
But in the back of my mind, I'm thinking there's another food that's traditional.

The story of Hanukkah can be found in which books of the Orthodox bible?
None. It happened after biblical times - which is also why it's not a Yom Tov (Holy Day).
Ditto for Purim.

When Hanukkah falls on the Sabbath, which should be lit first, the Hanukkah candle or the Shabbat candle?
Friday night, prior to the Shabbat candles. Saturday night, after the Havdalah ceremony (which includes it's own candle, and is at the conclusion of Shabbat).

How many blessings are said at the lighting of each candle?
I think two.

Where in the house should the menorah be located?
I don't think there is a specific place. However, unlike Shabbat candles, they are decorative and should not be used as illumination.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
December 16th, 2020 at 9:18:37 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: DJTeddyBear
As a Hebrew school and Yeshiva attendee, I should know more of these.

Then again, I'm a FORMER Hebrew school and Yeshiva attendee. That was back in the 60's and 70's. These days, I'm Aethiest. And a Reverend. http://www.ReverendDaveMiller.com/

But here goes...

How many candle holders are on a menorah?
Nine - The central candle, plus one for each of the eight days.
Note, the propper name of the Hanukkah menorah is a Hanukkiah.

What game might be played to celebrate Hanukkah?
Dreidel. Want the rules?

What is the name of the first Hanukkah candle to be lit?
I think it's called the Shamis. It's the main candle, with it's holder slightly higher than the others. While it's normally in the middle, it doesn't have to be. The eight candles are added, one per day, from right to left. After the Shamis is lit, it is used to light the other candles, while saying the blessing, and it's from left to right.

What are two of the most popular foods might one eat to celebrate Hanukkah?
Latkes (potato pancakes) which are typically dipped in apple sauce.
But in the back of my mind, I'm thinking there's another food that's traditional.

The story of Hanukkah can be found in which books of the Orthodox bible?
None. It happened after biblical times - which is also why it's not a Yom Tov (Holy Day).
Ditto for Purim.

When Hanukkah falls on the Sabbath, which should be lit first, the Hanukkah candle or the Shabbat candle?
Friday night, prior to the Shabbat candles. Saturday night, after the Havdalah ceremony (which includes it's own candle, and is at the conclusion of Shabbat).

I think two.

Where in the house should the menorah be located?
I don't think there is a specific place. However, unlike Shabbat candles, they are decorative and should not be used as illumination.

Quite amazingly, our answers were almost identical! I also was unaware of second food. I also said "I think two". I also forgot where menorah should be located, but after Wizard told me, I had an 'oh, yeah' moment! I'll bet you do too!
December 16th, 2020 at 12:24:48 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Near a window or door. The reason is to show pride in your faith.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 16th, 2020 at 3:20:12 PM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Quote: Wizard
Near a window or door. The reason is to show pride in your faith.
D’oh!
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
December 16th, 2020 at 3:31:23 PM permalink
DJTeddyBear
I remembered the second food!

The first food was mentioned in the original post: Latkes (potato pancakes).

The second is NOT apple sauce. That's a condiment, that goes on/with the latkes.

Of course, if you can figure out WHY latkes are one of the traditional foods, you may be able to figure out the other one.

Here's three hints:

1 - They're symbolic of the miracle of Hanukkah.

The miracle of Hanukkah has to do with oil.
(Duh. Latkes are fried in oil.)

My post above helped me think of someone, who helped me think of the answer.

Because they're also cooked in oil . . .
DONUTS!

December 23rd, 2020 at 3:11:57 AM permalink
DJTeddyBear
I plan to post the answers tomorrow.

Happy Festivus!

Now, the airing of the grievances.
I'll start:
Hey Wiz! How about we get the answers that you promised us over a week ago?

December 23rd, 2020 at 4:04:11 PM permalink
DJTeddyBear
It occurs to me that this might be considered a trick question.

The blessings, of which I still think there are two, are spoken while lighting the candles - not any specific candle. And it’s the same each night, regardless of how many candles.

Now how about those answers Mike!!!
Page 2 of 3<123>