Remake It!

Page 2 of 3<123>
December 22nd, 2020 at 11:46:43 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Mission146
I think the original Bud was meant to be smart, but they seem to have largely abandoned that, or it didn't end up really being a focal point. I should have mentioned M*A*S*H, which of Hawkeye's sidekicks did you prefer?

Trapper John, no question. Honeycutt seemed like my Dad's friends from church.
Who was your preferred colonel?
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
December 22nd, 2020 at 11:54:21 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: JimRockford

21st century:
1. 30 Rock
2. Parks and Rec
3. Community

I separate them because I can't seem to compare the two eras. They are just too partitioned in my brain.

I've been watching 21/2 men reruns. I think it's pretty funny. Enlightening, perhaps not. Funny yes.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 22nd, 2020 at 11:56:29 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I think the original Bud was meant to be smart, but they seem to have largely abandoned that, or it didn't end up really being a focal point. I should have mentioned M*A*S*H, which of Hawkeye's sidekicks did you prefer?

Bud was the smart one but obviously it is relative to the other morons.

I thought Frank Burns was the best character on MASH.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 22nd, 2020 at 12:14:25 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: DRich
Bud was the smart one but obviously it is relative to the other morons.

I thought Frank Burns was the best character on MASH.

Potter was probably my favorite with Hawkeye coming second.

I'm not sure Al was really a moron, just lazy. That's why my idea for a remake would have that be a little more explicit. I wouldn't make Al an academic world-beater, but he'd clearly be a smarter than average dude.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 22nd, 2020 at 12:40:43 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Okay, so the premise of this thread is that my fiancee and I were sitting around this morning and somehow the conversation turned to 90's television. Originally, we were discussing shows that you could never get away with today, and naturally, Married...With Children came up.

Not sure I agree with your premise, since I believe anything well written could be gotten away with. I would certainly defend a show with what I consider inappropriate messages if it was brilliantly written.

But we could argue that MWC was not very high level writing.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 22nd, 2020 at 2:38:21 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I watched my first episode of South Park ever last night, it was the "Pandemic" episode. My wife watched maybe the first three minutes before deciding it wasn't for her and leaving the room. I was more curious but didn't make it the entire episode either. I wasn't aware of the show portraying Beastiality, even in cartoon form it didn't appeal to me, however I did get a couple chortles from what I did watch, I have a 70's kind of dry humor. I was curious because of clips posted over the years such as this famous bit "and,,,,it's gone", where the kid, led by his father opens a savings account, only to have his money disappear as soon as he hands it to the banker.

The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 22nd, 2020 at 3:19:58 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
1 I love Lucy
2 All in the Family
3 Taxi
4 Mchales Navy
5 Hogans Heroes
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 22nd, 2020 at 7:45:18 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
1 I love Lucy
2 All in the Family
3 Taxi
4 Mchales Navy
5 Hogans Heroes

I enjoyed McHale's Navy and loved Hogan's Heroes. One poll had Hogan's Heroes as one of the top ten worst shows of all time. Blasphemy!!!!
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 23rd, 2020 at 1:44:52 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
John Banner (sergeant Shulz) was born to Jewish parents in Stanislau, Austria-Hungary (now Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine) in 1910. In 1938, when he was performing with an acting troupe in Switzerland, Adolf Hitler annexed Austria to Nazi Germany. Banner emigrated to the United States. In 1942, he enlisted in the United States Army Air Forces, underwent basic training in Atlantic City and became a supply sergeant. According to fellow Hogan's Heroes actor Robert Clary, "John lost a lot of his family" to the Holocaust.

The four Jewish actors were Klemperer and Banner as Klink and Schultz. Caine and Askin as Hochstetter and Burkhalter

One poll had Hogan's Heroes as one of the top ten worst shows of all time. Blasphemy!!!!

Hogan's Heroes (1965) has always been criticized as trivializing the horrors of WWII. Popular movies of the time like Battle of the Bulge (1965) with Henry Fonda, Robert Shaw or The Dirty Dozen (1967) with Lee Marvin, Ernest Borgnine, Charles Bronson, John Cassavetes were considered mor appropriate in their treatment of Nazis.

The Jewish actors in Hogan's Heros felt that making fun of Nazis was one of the best ways of destroying their legacy.
December 23rd, 2020 at 4:15:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Wow, I read about half of your post .

I read the first two sentences.
Did you really read half of it
or are you exaggerating for
effect.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 2 of 3<123>