Yummy Junk Food

Page 1 of 212>
June 5th, 2013 at 11:11:09 PM permalink
JB
Administrator
Threads: 10
Poutine

Anyone else a fan of poutine? There are two places near me which offer it, a restaurant and a pizzeria. The restaurant serves real poutine, and it's excellent. The pizzeria serves what they call poutine, but what is really just fries with cheese and a light gravy. Real poutine uses cheese curds (not fully-finished/processed cheese), and the gravy should be dark and thick. I'm not Canadian, and have never been to Quebec, so I am by no means an expert on poutine quality, but I can't imagine a better poutine than the version served by the restaurant near me.

Gelato

If you like ice cream and have never tried gelato, you need to. It's healthier than ice cream, since it uses more milk than cream, and when it's made properly it tastes far creamier and richer than ice cream, despite the fact that it has less fat and fewer calories.

One thing I neglected to mention in my Foxwoods review is that the gelato offered in their Gelato Café is probably among the best in the country. My first gelato exposure was at Foxwoods, and ever since then I have been trying to find gelato of comparable quality. When I stayed at the Bellagio in Vegas last year I went to their Gelato Café, and the "gelato" there was awful! It had the consistency and air content/density of cheap ice cream. I did find a gelato shop in Hanover NH (Morano Gelato) whose gelato quality is very close to that of Foxwoods, but the gelato at Foxwoods is still #1 (so far) in my book.

Gelato cannot be frozen and thawed without ruining it. Never, ever, ever buy something being passed off as "gelato" from the freezer section of your local grocery store!
June 6th, 2013 at 12:47:31 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
I like Jelly Belly jelly beans. My favorite flavor to discover is birthday cake, which tastes like frosting.

Demet's Turtles also. Milk Chocolate, pecans and caramel.

I don't think either is too bad, because one has pecans and the other uses real fruit juice.

Looking up the beans, I found a site which sells them by the flavor. Chocolate pudding sounds good.

http://www.yourcandyshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=jelly-birthday&utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=shopping&utm_content=jelly-birthday&utm_campaign=Food,%20Beverages%20&%20Tobacco%20%3E%20Food%20Items%20%3E%20Candy%20&%20Gum&gdftrk=gdfV2574_a_7c2271_a_7c9929_a_7cjelly_d_birthday
June 6th, 2013 at 5:05:24 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: JB
Poutine

Poutine is amazing.

Time for a Name that movie quote:

"Where you boys headed?"

"Canada sir, we're going across the border for some french fries and gravy." "Poutine, sir."

"Canada huh? Almost made it."
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
June 6th, 2013 at 7:57:58 PM permalink
rdw4potus
He's already pulled over! He can't pull over any farther!
I'm not wearing any pants, film at 11
June 6th, 2013 at 10:24:33 PM permalink
JB
Administrator
Quote: AcesAndEights
Poutine

Poutine is amazing.

"Where you boys headed?"

"Canada sir, we're going across the border for some french fries and gravy." "Poutine, sir."

I'm going to guess Super Troopers, although I've never seen it. I'll go look it up to see if I was right after making my guess.
June 7th, 2013 at 6:14:53 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Starburst.

I had Starburst for, what I believe was the first time, about three or four weeks ago. Never again. I don't think I can eat those in moderation, especially if I had a pack with an inordinate number of the yellow ones.

I eat very few snack foods, try to abstain completely from both those and any beverage that has calories...with exception to my once/week drinking night.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 7th, 2013 at 9:53:43 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: AcesAndEights
Poutine

Poutine is amazing.

"Where you boys headed?"

I'm going to guess Super Troopers, although I've never seen it. I'll go look it up to see if I was right after making my guess.

You are correct. rdw added a second quote as well.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
June 7th, 2013 at 11:44:30 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Poutine is a wonderful dish. The only Montreal poutine I've had was terrible though. We obviously choose the wrong place to visit. There's a local place here that Quebecers swears is the best they've had outside of their favourite place back home. I have it occasionally, but the chicken and gravy version is my favourite twist on the meal.

It's the way the curds 'squeak' that really makes the dish.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
June 7th, 2013 at 3:04:56 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: TheCesspit
... Quebecers ...

Québécois*

Just trying to help you maintain citizenship lol =)

I dunno what they’re called (chips, maybe?), but they’re potatoes fried like French fries but cut like potato chips. They’re real thin, have a lightly crisp exterior with a soft, potatoey middle. Add vinegar…OMG. So good you’ll be struck dumb. Pretty much any fry-like product made with fresh potatoes is out of control good.

My aunt made something a camp last year. It was quarters of green pepper filled with cheese, tomato sauce, sausage, onion,… pretty much like a pizza without the dough, just put over a fire until it was hot and melty. OMG again.

Last I guess is nachos. Not just any nachos, but the $8 nachos you get after about six or seven $9 beers at a hockey game. Something about the cold air and violence just makes them so much better =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 8th, 2013 at 9:45:25 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Thanks for looking out for me. I'm not Canadian yet (have to take the test in the next year... which involves memorizing the names of every Lieutenant Governor and Premier of each Province. None of my friends knew any of them apart from the Premier of BC...)

I kinda mean Quebecers (someone from Quebec) rather than Québécois. The difference is you can be from Quebec, and not speak French, and not be ethnically Québécois. I even know of Francophone Quebecers who aren't Québécois, but Acadian (and proud of it). :)

He said pedantically.

Other junk food I love : hot wings. I find them over priced at most places, but hot wings with a cold beer and the game on TV is a great combination....
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
Page 1 of 212>