Threads: 146
Quote: missedhervee
Here's a couple of live televised events which most certainly were exciting:

Apollo moon landing.

Oswald getting shot in Dallas.

9/11 in NYC.

3 events spanning almost 60 years? You just
made my point.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 9th, 2021 at 3:05:44 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: Evenbob
3 events spanning almost 60 years? You just made my point.

No, I didn't.

Your initial post implied that NOTHING on TV was or could be "exciting."

I pointed out three televised events that most certainly were exciting, to refute your allegation.

BTW I don't watch TV to get excited; depending on the program I tune in to get informed and / or entertained.

I get my excitement in the real world.
August 9th, 2021 at 6:01:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
No, I didn't.

Your initial post implied that NOTHING on TV was or could be "exciting."

Pointing out three events in the last 60 years is pretty much the same as nothing. Screen viewing of any kind is a passive event requiring almost nothing from the viewer. Daily life is for the most part routine and boring so we look for any kind of excitement from the screen. Imagine what life was like before movies were invented. I've read a couple of diaries people kept in the mid-nineteenth century when they took wagon trains West. Oh my God, talk about boring. It was days and weeks of routine drudgery interrupted by occasional death and misery. The opposite of how it was portrayed in pulp fiction and movies.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 9th, 2021 at 6:05:01 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
My nephew's family, (with 4 kids) lives without a TV. Not too amazing unless you can't imagine doing it. All home schooled. No neighbors within a half mile.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 9th, 2021 at 6:27:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine
My nephew's family, (with 4 kids) lives without a TV. Not too amazing unless you can't imagine doing it. All home schooled. No neighbors within a half mile.

I have not turned on my TV since before Christmas and I never think about it. I can't now because I don't have cable anymore. Don't know what I would watch if I had cable. I get so much content from Prime, Netflix, Peacock, Paramount (CBS) and especially YouTube that I would have no time for cable.
August 9th, 2021 at 7:51:01 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Pointing out three events in the last 60 years is pretty much the same as nothing. Screen viewing of any kind is a passive event requiring almost nothing from the viewer. Daily life is for the most part routine and boring so we look for any kind of excitement from the screen. Imagine what life was like before movies were invented. I've read a couple of diaries people kept in the mid-nineteenth century when they took wagon trains West. Oh my God, talk about boring. It was days and weeks of routine drudgery interrupted by occasional death and misery. The opposite of how it was portrayed in pulp fiction and movies.

I am with the other poster. I take things literally. When you say nothing is exciting I assume you mean nothing.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 9th, 2021 at 9:35:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: DRich
I am with the other poster. I take things literally. When you say nothing is exciting I assume you mean nothing.

Exciting to one person can be boring as watching paint dry to another. Some people think watching golf on TV is exciting. Or bowling.
August 9th, 2021 at 9:51:22 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quit deflecting.

You made a claim which I proved to be false.

End ... of ... story
August 9th, 2021 at 9:57:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quit deflecting.

You made a claim which I proved to be false.

End ... of ... story

It's the truth. What is exciting to one person is boring as hell to another. My wife thanks baseball on TV is the most exciting thing she does all day. She loves it, she even jumps out of her chair sometimes. I can't watch 5 minutes of baseball without falling asleep. So you proved nothing. I went years ago to experience the thrills and excitement of white water rafting. All I got was bruises and motion sickness. Neither of which was exciting.
August 9th, 2021 at 11:24:18 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I have not turned on my TV since before Christmas and I never think about it. I can't now because I don't have cable anymore. Don't know what I would watch if I had cable. I get so much content from Prime, Netflix, Peacock, Paramount (CBS) and especially YouTube that I would have no time for cable.

I keep thinking how much I have saved not having cable for over 8 years now. Gotta be at least $5-6000. Then I realize back when I had it how I had so little extra money to invest. I think my mother is near pulling cable because her sister keeps asking me how to get by without it. I visit and there are 100+ channels and nearly nothing on. I pulled Netflix about a year ago as I was never watching it and when I was it was same stuff over and over.
The President is a fink.