2021 Deadpool

Thread Rating:

October 22nd, 2021 at 7:25:53 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
He is one Republican I would have voted for without hesitation.

He was in the Army since the early 60s and has experienced everything from the early days of the Vietnam War before America was really there to Cold War Era conflicts.

I don't buy the race argument. He has an impressive background, MBA, 4 Star General, involved in some of the most historically relevant events in recent history, Sec of State (even if he did have political clashes and resign). His race is irrelevant, if anything it makes him more impressive because he did a lot of this at the height of segregation and pushed on.

Except he wasn't really a Republican. He just worked for them. He endorsed Obama twice, which took away any faith I had in him.
The President is a fink.
October 22nd, 2021 at 7:59:22 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
Except he wasn't really a Republican. He just worked for them. He endorsed Obama twice, which took away any faith I had in him.

I could not stand Colin Powell. He was just the military's version of affirmative action. Like at General Motors in the 80s when they were forced to promote unqualified minorities to executive positions.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 22nd, 2021 at 8:15:41 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Colin Powell is interesting in that he received three Electoral Votes from Faithless Electors in 2016, in three different states, despite only having a reported total of 25 Popular Votes.

By itself, that's unusual...but what makes it interesting is that Powell would be the only (non)candidate that year to receive multiple Electoral Votes, and as such, would have qualified to be the POTUS if neither Clinton nor Trump had achieved a majority.

At one point, there was a, "Dark Horse," who some analysts bandied about as being a possibility for just something like that, but it wasn't Colin Powell. It was actually Evan McMullin, out of Utah, who was considered a long shot (though possible) to get Electoral Votes by virtue of actually winning the popular vote in the state.

I wonder if anyone has written any revisionist fiction where the 2016 results were slightly different...maybe you give Clinton Pennsylvania and Michigan and everything else stays the same...but then Powell is agreed to as a compromise? That could be a fun read, if done well---especially in light of Covid-19 which, I would think, would still happen.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
October 22nd, 2021 at 5:13:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Anyone see "Bosom Buddies"

Peter Scolari dies at 66 (cancer)

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 22nd, 2021 at 5:31:28 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Evenbob
I could not stand Colin Powell. He was just the military's version of affirmative action. Like at General Motors in the 80s when they were forced to promote unqualified minorities to executive positions.

No, he was too high ranking for that. He had an impressive career, you don't get to the very top of the Chief of Staff (or even four star general), for diversity, but he reached the top position that anyone in any branch can reach (Chairman of Joint Chiefs).

Anyone who thinks he was a bad solider or bad leader has not looked at his resume. He was like the Forest Gump of the mid to late Cold War (being involved in almost everything, and no not in a Forest Gump low intelligence way).

The only reason to hate him is because Trump made it popular (which I just found out about):

"Wonderful to see Colin Powell, who made big mistakes on Iraq and famously, so-called weapons of mass destruction, be treated in death so beautifully by the Fake News Media. Hope that happens to me someday. He was a classic RINO, if even that, always being the first to attack other Republicans. He made plenty of mistakes, but anyway, may he rest in peace!"

I guess the good thing about Trump being removed from Twitter is his toxicity is slower to reach legit news, but that explains why the right is suddenly hating Colin Powel, since I am sure they follow whatever nonsense platform he is on....
October 22nd, 2021 at 6:12:35 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Anyone see "Bosom Buddies"

Peter Scolari dies at 66 (cancer)

Also Newhart. Funny thing was when Bossom Budoes started he was seen as the stronger actor.
The President is a fink.
October 22nd, 2021 at 8:01:47 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Mission146
By itself, that's unusual...but what makes it interesting is that Powell would be the only (non)candidate that year to receive multiple Electoral Votes, and as such, would have qualified to be the POTUS if neither Clinton nor Trump had achieved a majority.

Is this true? I thought the candidate who had the most electoral votes wins, even without a majority.

Yet, I do find it a good bit of trivia that Powell is the leading recipient of faithless electors.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 22nd, 2021 at 8:25:40 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: Wizard
Is this true? I thought the candidate who had the most electoral votes wins, even without a majority.

Yet, I do find it a good bit of trivia that Powell is the leading recipient of faithless electors.

No, if nobody has a majority it goes to congress, and congress votes on the individuals that have received electoral votes. I am not sure if they need a majority in congress or just the most votes (for rare cases where more than two people have electoral votes).

I think they actually do this for President and VP separately, so its possible (if unlikely) that opposing parties can be elected by Congress. I am not sure if the electoral vote requirements apply to VP potentials (since they are on a ticket).
October 23rd, 2021 at 4:23:16 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler
No, if nobody has a majority it goes to congress, and congress votes on the individuals that have received electoral votes. I am not sure if they need a majority in congress or just the most votes (for rare cases where more than two people have electoral votes).

It does not go to Congress, it goes to the House. IIRC each state delegation gets one vote.
The President is a fink.
October 23rd, 2021 at 7:02:16 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: AZDuffman
It does not go to Congress, it goes to the House. IIRC each state delegation gets one vote.

Well the house is Congress.

According to wiki, the Senate votes for the VP, and they can only vote for the top two contenders.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contingent_election#Vice-presidential_election

The house chooses the President (from only the top three elector vote recipients apparently).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contingent_election#Presidential_election

The last President to win this way was Andrew Jackson and the last VP to win this way was Richard Mentor Johnson.

I honestly did not realize that the Electoral College still votes for VP and President separately still (apparently they only changed this for the popular vote being one ticket).