The New Threat to The United States

Page 1 of 3123>
January 18th, 2021 at 12:28:10 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
This is not a post I thought that I would ever have to make (at least not in regards to America), but the shocking amount of violence and fervor from the far right is raising alarm bells. Extremism is defined as, "the holding of extreme political or religious views; fanaticism. " [1] And, I wanted to briefly give my thoughts this threat.

With the still current President fueling an attempted insurrection at the Capitol by spreading false information, leading to calls to hang Vice President Pence by members of the same party, it is such an absurd set of circumstances it would hardly be believed in the 1700s when Vice Presidents were often from an opposing party (the person who placed second was awarded VP), and hanging and lynching was sadly actually relatively common [2]. But, 2021 calls from supporters of the President to hang his appointed Vice President, quite unprecedented ....

So how bad is right wing extremism in the US. Apparently worse than I thought (or at least wanted to believe). For years I have been told by sources that the biggest terrorist threat on domestic soil is right wing extremism, I always waived off such thoughts as "politically correct" to counter balance more controversial threats. We all know the obvious groups of white and Christian Extremists (KKK, the standard line up of White Power groups we all know of etc...) But, what is more troubling and less known is the amount of militias that are well organized (and well- armed) and often label themselves as "patriots" or try to push off their actions as honoring the history of America [3]. These are greater threats, because unlike the KKK who are generally well known, and do little other than make fools of themselves in public stunts, these groups operate in secrecy, have weapons, and train in military-like ways.

This is what leads back to extremism. We all know religious extremism when it comes to Islam (which is technically also right wing extremism). What is more convoluted are these militias, many are Christian based, but many also are grounded in some mythical philosophy of the constitution and a weird strain of nationalism. These groups have been around for years (and I have been warned about them for years), but largely they existed in obscurity in rural communities playing dress up in the middle of nowhere, so I always thought who cares....

The danger of the right is also the danger of Islamic Extremists, often using similar tactics, having a normal "life", job, family, social life, and are "sleepers" they will not act until it is time [4]. There is also overlap in the layers of extremism in regards to membership and support. There are many that support them, but would never actually join them in action (financial support, vocal or social media support, etc...) The similarities to Islamic extremism are the same, many Islamists (to be clear I am using Islamists not Muslims, because I am referring to a specific ideology not most Muslims) are extreme conservatives who either like or vaguely agree with certain factions though they would never physically join them, but they have no problem supporting them (even if through backchannel funding groups). This is what we see now happening in America, a lot of money being poured into extreme groups who are taking their ideology from more mainstream figures.

Many social media and news companies are being encouraged to take action to limit the message from these people. Which is a great move overall (probably). However, it is two-fold it does push them into obscurity and saves many casual viewers from seeing their message. But, it also allows dark sites to flourish with less attention on them (similar to Islamist sites), which are sometimes only discovered when it is too late.

I was going to go into to more detail, but I don't want to spend too much more time on this post. And, I think my point was made (and those that disagree will not change there mind even with pages more of examples). I guess my summation is, its going to be dangerous the next few weeks. There are going to be a lot of well-armed people who are extreme (have beliefs not grounded in logic, think the election was stolen by some convoluted conspiracy and think they are saving the Republic). This could turn into the Al Qaeda of America if we are not vigilant about getting these people arrested before they can cause issues. This is why I implore people to be safe and supportive of law enforcement in the coming weeks as they will have a thankless job of rounding up people who label themselves patriots (and some will likely try to be martyrs). It would not surprise me if we see some rural areas try to kick out Federal powers and form their local insurrection. The fact is there are people trying to undermine democracy by both violence and false narratives.

Remember we are seeing a rise of mask protests (some becoming violent) at stores (private businesses) all over the country, this may seem benign (its actually not for medical and legal reasons, but compared to violent insurrections it may seem so), who do you think is organizing these protests that target very specific chains at specific times? Do you think these are really grassroot shoppers that are upset Walmart security is telling them to put on a mask? The mask issue is important because it is one easy issue (that to some degree sadly has support from from various political sides) that these "anti-Federalists" used to incite crowds to violence. We are already seeing a trend of these protests going up, its going to get worse when Biden comes into office. What changed on the mask front, virtually nothing (its all state and local level, or corporate policies), but it is being used as a catalyst for anti-Biden and antigovernmental protests (which is both sad and ironic because they are actually protesting corporate policy, -as most are targeting specific retailors and restaurants- but based on the videos they don't seem to realize how any of this works or be able to answer any questions.....) The point is this is being organized by the same "patriots", and it is an easy way for them to mobilize people on the ground for something they may agree with, and then at a later date mobilize them for more harmful means (not that supporting the spread of disease is not harmful, but most do not see it that way). This is why it is important to monitor such groups because there is massive crossover at these events, and its also why mask citations are important because it builds a database, look at the "Masks Courts" from the Spanish Flu for example [5].

Be safe, be patient, and report activity that is potentially alarming (even if its "flagging" social media posts or groups). This is the best course of action, let authorities deal with extremists, counter protests are never helpful (and usually lead to more violence). These next few weeks (possibly longer) are probably going to suck, not just because of the ongoing COVID-19 waiting for vaccines so that we can re-open, but also the increased violence and calls for violence. If you see something, say something

[1] Oxford English Dictionary 2020.

[2] https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/when-did-vice-presidency-stop-going-to-second-place-ask-smithsonian-180957199/

[3] https://www.csis.org/analysis/rise-far-right-extremism-united-states

[4] id

[5] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lRE1Hqy-Xk&t=703s
January 18th, 2021 at 12:33:45 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
You and mission would get along.
January 18th, 2021 at 12:37:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Gandler
but the shocking amount of violence and fervor from the far right is raising alarm bells. 3s

Have you thought of being a
comedy writer? This whole
post is uproariously funny.
You could write for The Onion..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 18th, 2021 at 1:01:49 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
This is not a post I thought that I would ever have to make (at least not in regards to America), but the shocking amount of violence and fervor from the far right is raising alarm bells.

GIVE
ME
A
BREAK!

The violence is from the left. Why did you not make this post at the many BLM riots? At the ANTIFA riots. When leftists on college campuses got violent? Why not?

I just heard from my brother about how bad Portland is now. Guy from there said in the city you do not stop at a light because "protestors" will smash your windows with a bat. Stores that are still open leave plywood up or the windows will get smashed. "Protestors."

What is "shocking" is that you expect us to believe the violence is "from the right."

The President is a fink.
January 18th, 2021 at 1:30:27 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
GIVE
ME
A
BREAK!

The violence is from the left. Why did you not make this post at the many BLM riots? At the ANTIFA riots. When leftists on college campuses got violent? Why not?

I just heard from my brother about how bad Portland is now. Guy from there said in the city you do not stop at a light because "protestors" will smash your windows with a bat. Stores that are still open leave plywood up or the windows will get smashed. "Protestors."

What is "shocking" is that you expect us to believe the violence is "from the right."

You mean like this post:
http://diversitytomorrow.com/thread/3236/0/

But, yes right now the larger threat is the right wing extremism, especially because they are being led by people in power so they feel legitimatized.

There is also a difference between looting random stores (which is terrible) and attempting an insurrection, storming the capital, and to hang the Vice President. Completely different planes of severity.
January 18th, 2021 at 2:04:27 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
This is not a post I thought that I would ever have to make (at least not in regards to America), but the shocking amount of violence and fervor from the far right is raising alarm bells.

In other words, you're worried the right is at last, fighting against left wing extremism, cancelling, censorship, purging and dictatorship.

Why didn’t it cross your mind to write this when Antifa and BLM were setting up encampments and leading daily riots causing death and destruction for months in cities across the country prior to the election?

Find ‘right’ and replace with ‘Antifa and BLM’.
January 18th, 2021 at 2:18:19 PM permalink
Tanko
Violent Anti-Trump Protesters. Inauguration Day 2017.

Violent Anti-Trump Protesters Besiege the Whitehouse May 2020. Force the President into a secure area.

D.C. Mayor refused to call in the National Guard.

January 18th, 2021 at 2:50:25 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Quote: Tanko
Violent Anti-Trump Protesters. Inauguration Day 2017.

Violent Anti-Trump Protesters Besiege the Whitehouse May 2020. Force the President into a secure area.

D.C. Mayor refused to call in the National Guard.

The gist of all of this is, Donald Trump isn't worth a squirt of pis. I hope someday conservatives realize that they didn't have to debase themselves for a man who threw them under the bus at every opportunity when it was convenient for him. He was and is nothing "like them". He wouldn't share a beer with ANY of those people who ransacked our capital. He NEVER fought for them at ANY point in his life.

The biggest con ever pulled on the American people.
January 18th, 2021 at 6:05:45 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: Evenbob
Have you thought of being a
comedy writer? This whole
post is uproariously funny.
You could write for The Onion..
+1,000

I'm sure when this dude pressed 'Post' he thought he was posting something profound.
Too bad he doesn't realize it's the opposite. 🤣

It's hilarious how this guy didn't whine about violence when that skank Kathy Griffin held Trump's bloody head.
It's equally hilarious how he didn't whine about violence when people on HIS side go around killing innocent victims like David Dorn.

But he's worried about violence from the right???? GIMME A DAMN BREAK MAN 😒
January 19th, 2021 at 5:18:09 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23

But, yes right now the larger threat is the right wing extremism, especially because they are being led by people in power so they feel legitimatized.

There is also a difference between looting random stores (which is terrible) and attempting an insurrection, storming the capital, and to hang the Vice President. Completely different planes of severity.

(Quote clipped, relevance)

There's also an important similarity: That all things mentioned violate various laws. In terms of protest v. riot; you're either violating the laws or you aren't. It's true that one violation might be perhaps worse than another (in terms of charges), particularly if it is found to constitute insurrection...but have fun telling that to the general store owner who had his shop burnt to the ground.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
Page 1 of 3123>