The New Threat to The United States

Page 2 of 3<123>
January 19th, 2021 at 1:37:57 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Threads: 0
Look at these idiots. Yeah, nothing to worry about it. Let's instead focus on make believe boogeymen. #thanksMAGAts

The guy with zip ties urging the others to be respectful. Geezus.

Cue the MAGA "these guys are really antifa" bulls**t.
January 19th, 2021 at 4:05:39 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Mission146
(Quote clipped, relevance)

There's also an important similarity: That all things mentioned violate various laws. In terms of protest v. riot; you're either violating the laws or you aren't. It's true that one violation might be perhaps worse than another (in terms of charges), particularly if it is found to constitute insurrection...but have fun telling that to the general store owner who had his shop burnt to the ground.

Oh I absolutely do not disagree. That is why I have always been consistent. I have no problem with police using footage and social media to locate and arrest BLM looters (which I have said several times, despite posts above claiming otherwise).

Whenever violence is involved arrests should be made. And, that is a great point that, on an individual level a small business owner will likely suffer much more than the government will (especially the Federal government since money is not really an issue) from looting and damage on their property. The key difference is the ideology behind it. One is a spur of the moment greed (opportunism) and one is a planned attempt to undermine a democratic process.

But, yes please don't misunderstand, anyone who breaks the law (especially when it involves violence) at any of these riots should be prosecuted (and possibly face civil penalties as well, though I imagine for most businesses that would be more trouble than its worth....) But, I still think intent does matter, and you can argue that BLM organizers (at least at some levels) had intent to develop chaos (I certainly do, there are some bad actors in BLM and some shady funding), but on the street most were simply opportunists (if anything I think the opposite is true here, this was carefully crafted by many on the ground....).
January 19th, 2021 at 7:16:08 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Gandler

But, yes please don't misunderstand, anyone who breaks the law (especially when it involves violence) at an

I think all laws need to be enforced more aggressively and punishment for all broken laws should be jail time. I would be fine if speeders got a minimum of two days in jail. I would think that people would take the laws more seriously if the punishment was more severe.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 20th, 2021 at 4:31:10 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: DRich
I think all laws need to be enforced more aggressively and punishment for all broken laws should be jail time. I would be fine if speeders got a minimum of two days in jail. I would think that people would take the laws more seriously if the punishment was more severe.

I agree excessive speeding and aggressive driving should result in jail time.

They do it in Virginia.
January 20th, 2021 at 4:47:41 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: gamerfreak
I agree excessive speeding and aggressive driving should result in jail time.

They do it in Virginia.

I tend to agree. Though I think context matters. On a highway at 0200, and nobody around, maybe "excessively speeding" (which a quick Google search says any speed over 85MPH regardless of posted speed limit in VA or any circumstance of driving 20+ over) should be different than say going through a surface street (residential area etc....).
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/46.2-862/

I drive up and down 95 (through VA and many other States) quite frequently and 80-85 MPH seems to be the standard flow of traffic in many cases (speed limit only 70 most of it). Shoot I probably could have gone to jail in VA many times over. (Some more reading seems like VA is one of the more strict states in the U.S. for speeding and general driving stuff).

But, I agree aggressive driving is something that should be more enforced, though its hard because its usually not a quick event (that a random officer can witness) and usually people don't drive that way when police are around (I guess undercover highway units to drive with traffic are probably a solution, but to a limited scale).

I think many people laugh at traffic enforcement as a crash grab or pointless rules, but people don't realize how dangerous driving (or walking in vehicle environments is or really just being around vehicles at all). Many " most dangerous jobs" are dangerous because of the driving aspect (including police and firefighters where much of the "duty deaths" are vehicle crashes or being hit by vehicles while on a roadway or trying to extract somebody from a dangerous situation caused from vehicles etc...).
I think trashmen are frequently the most dangerous job (or near it in the list many years) in America because it is all driving and occasional stopping to run through traffic to pull cans. It does not matter how dangerous your job is, if you commute more than two miles (and drive), you are more likely to die driving to work or from work than at work (there probably are some exceptions, like a fisherman out at sea for weeks at a time who only drives a few minutes "to work" etc...)
So I completely support traffic regulations. I don't know if "jail time" for first offenders is appropriate (also probably not cost efficient), but aggressive fines and a high level of points (with the understanding that repeat offenses will probably cause you to lose your license) would probably work. (Maybe "jail time" for people who keep driving after losing their license which an absurd amount of Americans do.... that old joke about "driving down to the county courthouse to pay your ticket for driving without a license" or something).
January 21st, 2021 at 6:55:36 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Gandler
I tend to agree. Though I think context matters. On a highway at 0200, and nobody around, maybe "excessively speeding" (which a quick Google search says any speed over 85MPH regardless of posted speed limit in VA...

Texas might need a different definition.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
January 21st, 2021 at 7:42:36 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: JimRockford

My most frustrating tow was from Vegas to Quartzite
Google maps had me going thru California
I like to go with the crowd regarding speed
But
CA laws weird
65 unless you are towing then its 55
That's fine for 2 lanes but sucks for one lane
Since I am towing, going 55 and I can see a real long line of cars behind me.
I dont like holding everybody up but CA gives me no choice.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 21st, 2021 at 7:54:25 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined

But
CA laws weird

A polite RV driver pulls over regularly to let the traffic behind him pass. Some place even have laws that you can be fined if you have more than 5 vehicles behind you. You did have a choice.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 21st, 2021 at 8:02:54 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman

But
CA laws weird

A polite RV driver pulls over regularly to let the traffic behind him pass. Some place even have laws that you can be fined if you have more than 5 vehicles behind you. You did have a choice.

No place to pull over. Soft shoulder. This is the desert
The cars are behind me because I am following the law.
They can pass. I make it easier as I slow down a bit to help out the passing vehicle.
First state I towed that have different speed limits for different vehicles
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 21st, 2021 at 8:16:57 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: kenarman

But
CA laws weird

No place to pull over. Soft shoulder. This is the desert
The cars are behind me because I am following the law.
They can pass. I make it easier as I slow down a bit to help out the passing vehicle.
First state I towed that have different speed limits for different vehicles
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
Page 2 of 3<123>