Have you heard The News???

Page 2 of 3<123>
January 24th, 2021 at 5:40:20 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Wizard
I respect those denominations that are out there acting on their belief in such a manner. If you knew somebody was going to an eternal hell, wouldn't you try to do something to prevent that?

On the same token, if I believe that people are wasting their lives worrying about a god who most likely isn't there, should I not do something to try to prevent that?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 24th, 2021 at 8:46:19 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: terapined
I dont respect it and suspect it's more recruitment to grow that denomination then to save somebody

True story
I was at london bridge last week just wandering around.
I came across public park benches
On these benches were small piles of stones with written inscriptions. Some were simple like "saved" . Some contained lines of scripture in small beautiful hand writing. They were beautiful and I could see these in a gift shop but instead were on a park bench for free. I look over and I see a lady taking stones out of a bag. So I spoke to her. This is her unique and special way of simply spreading the Good News.
I really love this.
I have pictures of the stones on my facebook page. Also have a pic of the lady. She gave me permission to take her pic.

They also prey on people who look lonely or vulnerable.

In college I had some back to back classes with a short break in between. I would usually grab lunch and eat alone.

On more than one occasion a stranger came up and asked if they could eat with me. They would always start out with normal conversation and then bring up Jesus about 30 seconds later.
January 25th, 2021 at 6:03:09 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Mission146
On the same token, if I believe that people are wasting their lives worrying about a god who most likely isn't there, should I not do something to try to prevent that?

Yes, you should.

My opinion is if having an invisible friend makes somebody happy, then just let it be.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 25th, 2021 at 6:04:49 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: gamerfreak
They would always start out with normal conversation and then bring up Jesus about 30 seconds later.

If that happened to me, it would quickly turn into a bible trivia challenge.
January 25th, 2021 at 10:34:35 AM permalink
ChesterDog
Threads: 0
If that happened to me, it would quickly turn into a bible trivia challenge.

I am sure the Witnesses would win that challenge.

Here's a good trivia question: Does the Bible say beat "plowshares into swords," or "swords into plowshares?"
January 25th, 2021 at 11:35:26 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: ChesterDog
Here's a good trivia question: Does the Bible say beat "plowshares into swords," or "swords into plowshares?"

It says both.
January 25th, 2021 at 2:03:30 PM permalink
ChesterDog
Threads: 0
It says both.

Yes!

I happened to find in the Book of Joel "plowshares into swords" and thought it so funny because I had always heard the reverse wording.
January 26th, 2021 at 5:39:26 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: ChesterDog
Yes!

I happened to find in the Book of Joel "plowshares into swords" and thought it so funny because I had always heard the reverse wording.

I was surprised to come across that too. A LONG time ago I went to a very politically liberal church, which loved to quote the "swords into plowshares" passage. So, it was very surprising to see another verse the other way. However, it would seem appropriate sometimes.

"There is a time for war and a time for peace." -- Ecclesiastes, chapter 3.
January 26th, 2021 at 7:05:49 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I was surprised to come across that too. A LONG time ago I went to a very politically liberal church, which loved to quote the "swords into plowshares" passage. So, it was very surprising to see another verse the other way. However, it would seem appropriate sometimes.

"There is a time for war and a time for peace." -- Ecclesiastes, chapter 3.

I am not sure why but I am very surprised that you were a churchgoer.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 26th, 2021 at 11:52:32 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I haven't thought about coming up with Bible trivia before, no fair looking it up of course*
here are some that come to mind, answers later:

1] The writer of "The Gospel According to Luke" is thought to have been a member of what profession?

2] Certain sayings of Jesus like "Tis better to give than receive" are thought to have been collected also in a now missing 'book' called what by scholars?

3] Which gospel was written first?

You can see I like 'higher criticism' type stuff. So for a change,

4] Why do some fundamentalist churches do ceremonies where they handle venomous snakes?

*like that dude does on the Wizard's AMA videos
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
Page 2 of 3<123>