Hey OnceDear

January 31st, 2021 at 11:21:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Ever watch the Brit show called The Repair Shop? You and I talked about this a couple years ago about Brits using the word brilliant in just about every sentence. I looked it up and it's now the most overused word in Great Britain and it means absolutely nothing now. When your fried eggs are brilliant, and you taking out the garbage is brilliant, and a Rolls-Royce is brilliant, when everything is brilliant, nothing is. On the Repair Shop they say the word all the time and it drives me nuts. There was a woman customer that came in and shook hands with three people and said 'brilliant' to each as she she shook their hand. Are you freaking kidding me. Einstein was brilliant, Tolkien was brilliant, someone farting in an elevator is not brilliant. This is the dumbing down of Britain, just like we have done by overusing the F word in the States.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 1st, 2021 at 3:56:43 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: Evenbob
Ever watch the Brit show called The Repair Shop? You and I talked about this a couple years ago about Brits using the word brilliant in just about every sentence. I looked it up and it's now the most overused word in Great Britain and it means absolutely nothing now. When your fried eggs are brilliant, and you taking out the garbage is brilliant, and a Rolls-Royce is brilliant, when everything is brilliant, nothing is. On the Repair Shop they say the word all the time and it drives me nuts. There was a woman customer that came in and shook hands with three people and said 'brilliant' to each as she she shook their hand. Are you freaking kidding me. Einstein was brilliant, Tolkien was brilliant, someone farting in an elevator is not brilliant. This is the dumbing down of Britain, just like we have done by overusing the F word in the States.
Hi EB.
That's fairly typical 'filler' daytime TV. I can honestly say I've only seen about 10 minutes total of that program and I formed no opinion about it. If you say they over-used the word Brilliant, I'll take your word for it. It's not a word I notice often. Maybe we export the worst TV just to annoy you. Maybe you'd like to read back through my posts to highlight my over-use of the word?

In spite of an extensive period of lockdown, I've avoided most of the rubbish that's on daytime TV. I also especially avoided some of the US sourced daytime telly like 'Real Housewives' where there seems to be a slight over-use of silicone. $:o)

One thing I do find over-used in UK soap operas is a certain phrase which I've now turned into a little game: It's the phrase "What's going on?" which typically features about twice in any episode of the popular UK soaps. When I hear that phrase, I launch my hand in the air and yell "Wos goin' on?!" It drives my wife nuts and usually sees me expelled from the room. I particularly enjoy reacting to the phrase while half asleep or silently concentrating on my laptop. $:o)
February 1st, 2021 at 11:31:53 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: OnceDear
Hi EB.
That's fairly typical 'filler' daytime TV.

Not hardly. It's a quality show that's
been called the best show in the UK
on BBC. It get's 2 million fans per episode
and is the Brit version of Antiques Roadshow.
Season 3 is on Netflix, I'm trying to figure
out how to get all 6 seasons. UK DVD's
won't play on US machines.

Is The Repair Shop the best show on TV?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7292939/How-Repair-Shop-surprise-hit-BBC.html
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 2nd, 2021 at 2:12:02 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: Evenbob
Not hardly. It's a quality show that's
been called the best show in the UK
on BBC. It get's 2 million fans per episode
and is the Brit version of Antiques Roadshow.
Season 3 is on Netflix, I'm trying to figure
out how to get all 6 seasons. UK DVD's
won't play on US machines.

Is The Repair Shop the best show on TV?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7292939/How-Repair-Shop-surprise-hit-BBC.html

TBH, I have a low opinion of most UK TV, apart from the BBC news and cookery programs. The DailyMail is rubbish too.

Having just watched an episode on-demand, I can understand why it's popular: Probably better than some of the daytime TV. There are 10 episodes currently available to stream from the BBC iPlayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08l581p/episodes/player

Antiques Roadshow is originally British.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiques_Roadshow

Now, I would never encourage copywrite infringement, but I understand some iplayer users use VPN's while travelling. They confirm their post-code and that they have a valid TV licence.

Also many computers have 'region free' DVD players. If you've bought DVD's, it strikes me as unfair to region restrict them.
February 2nd, 2021 at 8:36:53 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: OnceDear

Having just watched an episode on-demand, I can understand why it's popular:

They have actual craftsman doing
fantastic jobs restoring antiques.
It's almost like magic, they are
that good. I did this for a living
at one time and am in awe of their
expertise. Especially the ceramics
lady. She works wonders.