Poll
3 votes (100%)
No votes (0%)

3 members have voted

February 11th, 2021 at 2:04:05 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
My wife is ten years younger than me and she got the vaccine because she is "essential". Since when are employees of CPA firms essential?

Tax season for one.

For another many financial employees are essential. For example, if I do not do what I do mortgages do not close and the financial system locks up. CPA could be similar.
The President is a fink.
February 11th, 2021 at 11:13:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO

I told my wife, and she agrees, that each of us vaccinated helps all 4 of us.

You act like you can't get sick
now. Didn't you say these flu
type vaccines only work 50%
of the time?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 12th, 2021 at 7:13:45 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
You act like you can't get sick
now. Didn't you say these flu
type vaccines only work 50%
of the time?

Obviously SOOPOO is smarter than that. He believes that the vaccine will reduce his chances of getting the virus. Most people would agree with him but he understands that he is not excluded from getting the virus.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 12th, 2021 at 7:54:49 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: rxwine
Did you take all the Halloween candy as a kid when there was no limit stated?

Sure there is an ethical consideration between things you could do vs what is likely expected. I kind of doubt if they bring it to a specific neighborhood just by random chance. It's put there for the people there to access it.

The limit is however much Halloween candy the person hands you.

That's actually a really good comparison. When I was a kid, I'd often go trick or treating in other nearby towns (or on the opposite side of my town than one might expect) simply because I noticed there were more porch lights on--which meant more houses that were giving out candy.

Anyway, I agree with previous posts that there is either a residency requirement, or there is not. I see no reason to let some misguided sense of morality prevent a person from getting a vaccine if he/she wants one. Either way, at least the vaccines are getting used.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 12th, 2021 at 7:57:00 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Agree. Another question I have wrestled with. I was eligible last round, but my wife and her two kids were not. So I got the shot. But let’s say it was a bullet proof vest that was needed to go through a dangerous area. There is NO WAY I wear it instead of either wifey or one of her daughters.

Wifey and ONE of her daughters will become eligible February 15. It in NO WAY means the other daughter is exempt from getting COVID-19, it just means STATISTICALLY she is less likely to die if she gets it. She was so happy when I got my shot, as she knows I’m at higher risk, but she is having a tough time coming to grips with her NOT being able to protect one of her daughters! There WILL be some (very few, but SOME) families that the single person ineligible gets COVID-19 and DIES. IMAGINE the guilt they will feel!

I told my wife, and she agrees, that each of us vaccinated helps all 4 of us.

We will see if she can even get an appointment. 1/2 of New York State becomes eligible on the 15th.

I respectfully suggest you advise her not to worry so much about things she cannot control.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 12th, 2021 at 10:29:23 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Mission146
I respectfully suggest you advise her not to worry so much about things she cannot control.

I basically did. She will allow me to get her an appointment anywhere that is reasonable to drive to as soon as possible. Before my ex in laws were able to just show up and get their first shots, my ex wife made appointments for them in Binghamton, nearly a FOUR hour drive! I limited my searches to 50 mile radius.
February 12th, 2021 at 10:32:32 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I basically did. She will allow me to get her an appointment anywhere that is reasonable to drive to as soon as possible. Before my ex in laws were able to just show up and get their first shots, my ex wife made appointments for them in Binghamton, nearly a FOUR hour drive! I limited my searches to 50 mile radius.

So head down and get some chicken speedies while they are there.
The President is a fink.
February 12th, 2021 at 11:02:03 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Mission146

That's actually a really good comparison. When I was a kid, I'd often go trick or treating in other nearby towns (or on the opposite side of my town than one might expect) simply because I noticed there were more porch lights on--which meant more houses that were giving out candy.

.And thus when Tiny Tim limped on his crippled foot, there was no candy left at the nearby houses for all the outsider kids had taken it all. lol.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 12th, 2021 at 11:10:04 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
There is a relevant point though that some people, who don’t get around very well and depend on mass transit now have no convenient option nearby if able bodied outsiders use up the vaccines in their neighborhood.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 12th, 2021 at 11:50:26 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator

I'm going to get my vaccine when I both qualify and feel like it...which means I am likely to be one of the very last to get it if I get around to it at all.
Page 2 of 4<1234>