No votes (0%)
5 votes (100%)
No votes (0%)

5 members have voted

May 19th, 2021 at 9:56:17 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
On the other hand, maybe some of the better teachers in California will be inclined to go to states that are not California...so I guess there will be some benefit to others from all of this.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 19th, 2021 at 11:03:46 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
[snips]

Quote: Mission146
... sometimes, things are so ridiculous that you can just leave them to be read.
only problem is, it's reasonable to conclude it's all a joke, like RXwine did.

Quote:
... This will inevitably turn into a discussion about, "Power," which is one characteristic that some people would agree that a, "White supremacy culture," might sometimes have. Any set of conditions by which one person has, "Power," over another.

We will come to find that teachers have, "Power," over students insofar as teachers can declare ideas/solutions to be either, "Right," or, "Wrong," so this power must be taken away lest school be a, "White supremacist culture."
you're on to something, somebody is after that power for themselves

Quote:
Honestly, the one thing that's going to deny people access to the world of mathematics is teaching mathematics in a way that is stupid.
which to me says they really don't care if they destroy the education of the very kids they purport to want to help.

Quote:
Quite simply, some people are smarter than other people---or, in the case of math, more disposed with the spectrum of their intelligence to be good at math.

Once again, to assume that anything about that has anything to do with race or, "White supremacy culture," is itself about as racist as it gets.
In some circles, you are simply not allowed to say such things or you will be canceled.

Quote:
... two things that I don't understand are these:

1.) What makes, "Paternalism," even inherently bad in the educational context?

2.) How can you eliminate the, "Paternalistic," component, even if you wanted to?

"Paternalism," in this context, basically means, "Superiority." Okay, well, if the teacher is not superior on the subject being taught to the student, then what the hell is that teacher even doing in the classroom?
Well, sir, clearly you need a teacher. Unfortunately, if you have any questions the answer is already given, " Racism". What part of R-A-C-I-S-M don't you get? an "F" for you, pal.

Quote:
Okay, so if a student fails Basic Arithmetic, then I would err to suggest that the student probably wouldn't do well in Calculus?
Yep, some of that White "Only One Right Way" thinking, "F" for you again.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I'm done. I can't read this anymore because it is patently ridiculous. I read almost every word of 29 pages, so I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of what is...well, there's nothing going on. None of this is going to improve the way that math is taught.
I'm very impressed you got as far as you did. Very. But you don't get an "A" , that might make somebody feel bad.

This stuff is so bad we might assume it won't be approved. It will have to be dealt with on some compromise basis, though, seems to me
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 19th, 2021 at 12:09:34 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: odiousgambit
you're on to something, somebody is after that power for themselves

I don't even know if that's true. I'm honestly not sure that doing logical gymnastics to apply, "Woke culture," to everything even has an endgame. In the context of math, the only thing I can gather is that the endgame is for everyone to be equally bad at math.

Quote:
which to me says they really don't care if they destroy the education of the very kids they purport to want to help.

Either that, or they legitimately think that these ideas would improve the mathematical education of the average student---which would actually somehow be even more alarming.

Quote:
In some circles, you are simply not allowed to say such things or you will be canceled.

They can cancel my ass after they are done kissing it.

Let's counter with this:

https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/curriculum/enriched/parents/characteristics-math.aspx

Quote:
Defining "Mathematical Promise"
In order to discuss ways to identify and program for gifted and promising mathematics students, mathematical promise must be defined. The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) Task Force on the Mathematically Promising defined mathematical promise as a function of--

motivation,
belief, and
experience or opportunity.

Okay, so does this, "Math is racist," culture want to tell me that I am supposed to look at certain categories of students and conclude that they are less likely to have motivation and belief in themselves?

That proposition is so undeniably racist that a Southern math teacher would have cocked an eyebrow at the very notion in 1880.

Look, I'm all about trying to go that extra step to give kids who do a good job (or are at least trying) a little extra validation if they are coming from a tough spot, regardless of race, of course. If kids have a tough home life, then do what you can to validate their efforts and motivate them...that's awesome...teachers should do that. You obviously don't do that to the total exclusion of validating the kids with more, "Privileged," home lives, but you do acknowledge to yourself that the kids with good (oh, wait, you're not supposed to believe that there are 'good' or 'bad' parents now...this is going to get tough) parents are also going to be there to validate them while less fortunate kids might have parents who couldn't care less about their achievements.

Quote:
This definition includes the students who have been traditionally identified as gifted, talented, precocious, and so on, and it adds students who have been traditionally excluded from previous definitions of gifted and talented and therefore excluded from rich mathematical opportunities. This definition acknowledges that students who are mathematically promising, have a large range of abilities and a continuum of needs that should be met." (Richard Wertheimer)

Okay, so we want to expand on what used to be defined as, "Mathematically gifted," based on other abilities that they may have that would otherwise seem to correlate mathematical aptitude. Absolutely.

Ideally, education is always about getting as much as you can out of every student, which is why paternalism is a necessary component.

Finally:

Quote:
Do the opportunities provide for the wide range of abilities, beliefs, motivation, and experiences of students who have mathematical promise regardless of their socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds, and do the opportunities meet their continuum of needs?

In other words, are you treating them all equally? Are you refraining from making assumptions about the students based on these factors?

Quote:
Well, sir, clearly you need a teacher. Unfortunately, if you have any questions the answer is already given, " Racism". What part of R-A-C-I-S-M don't you get? an "F" for you, pal.

Yep, some of that White "Only One Right Way" thinking, "F" for you again.

I'm very impressed you got as far as you did. Very. But you don't get an "A" , that might make somebody feel bad.

This stuff is so bad we might assume it won't be approved. It will have to be dealt with on some compromise basis, though, seems to me

Oh, there's racism involved all right...just not on my end.

Conclusion

If you want to, go check out the page that I linked and quoted a few things from; it's not very long.

Perhaps the most alarming thing to me about the PDF from the previous post is just how negatively everything is framed.

The approach of the PDF is basically, "Don't worry. We understand and have taken into account your race, religion, culture and the wealth of your parents. Because of that, we understand that we cannot expect as much out of you as we can from the other students and we recognize that we will have to teach things to you in a different way because you are probably not going to be able to learn math as well. The good news for you is this: We are basically grading on a curve because of such things and there is no, 'Weakest link,' in this class because we will make sure all links in this chain are equal. They might all end up being equally weak, but at least none will be weaker than any other."

Like...what the hell would have to be wrong with someone to say that to a kid? Why would you want to encourage teachers to even think of their students in such terms? You should want the teachers to see the students in the context of their maximum potential, not make excuses or list reasons for why they shouldn't be expected to be able to do as much.

The traditional, and dare I say, "Paternalistic," approach is positive, "Don't worry. If you keep working hard, then I know you can succeed at learning this. It might seem like it takes more time for you than it does for some of the other students, but that just makes it an even greater accomplishment when you do succeed---and I know you will---if you are willing to apply yourself and try to do it. Also, people have different skill sets. That's just how life is. If it turns out that you are not the best math student, then there will certainly be something else that you are one of the best at---and as long as you try your best in everything you do---you will find your strengths."

Just compare those two statements. What would you want your kid to be hearing from a teacher? Which of the two would you want your kid's teacher to believe above the other?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 29th, 2022 at 7:06:08 AM permalink
odiousgambit

https://nypost.com/2022/04/22/floridas-banned-math-textbooks-include-racial-bias-graph/
May 29th, 2022 at 8:05:42 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Kim Jong Un is putting in way too much effort if scattered samples out of entire books is all it takes to indoctrinate. That's why it's a complete joke and waste of time.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 29th, 2022 at 10:35:43 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Kim Jong Un is putting in way too much effort if scattered samples out of entire books is all it takes to indoctrinate. That's why it's a complete joke and waste of time.

Sounds like something an indoctrinated person would say.
The President is a fink.
May 29th, 2022 at 10:50:06 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
Sounds like something an indoctrinated person would say.

What is a conservative education? I assume it is when you quit school at age 13, get your complimentary Henry rifle, and look for a cousin to marry. Then you’ve successfully reached the top of the bell curve.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 29th, 2022 at 1:44:23 PM permalink
odiousgambit
I don't get the Kim Jong Un reference

Actually the polynomial math exercise that uses racist data from god knows where suggests the textbook people have a sense of humor. They have to have a textbook that minorities can really dig, so they include this stuff. They must have been laughing their asses off.
May 29th, 2022 at 2:08:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: odiousgambit
I don't get the Kim Jong Un reference

Quote:

Relentless Indoctrination
The regime's survival depends on securing the compliance of the North Korean people and massive amounts of resources are spent attempting to shape every person into a loyal citizen.

https://www.libertyinnorthkorea.org/learn-nk-challenges

Quote:
The display of Kim portraits was made mandatory at homes in the 1970s.

Quote:
Rules regarding the placement and maintenance of the portraits are complex and change frequently. At homes, they should be placed on the most prominent wall in the living room with nothing else on it, at high and looking downwards. Of importance, and subject to random checks, is that they are kept clean, a responsibility that usually falls on the lady of the house.

Quote:
it was reported that a factory worker rescued his leader portraits and his five-year-old daughter from a flooded house. When he was overpowered by the water, he let go of his daughter but managed to hold onto the portraits.[14] Such a feat can raise the societal status of a person considerably by improving their songbun (ascribed social rank in North Korea).[19] Saving portraits is based on an arbitrary interpretation of the Ten Principles for the Establishment of a Monolithic Ideological System.[1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Il-sung_and_Kim_Jong-il_portraits
May 29th, 2022 at 3:54:38 PM permalink
odiousgambit
in reference to something upthread?
Page 8 of 10« First<5678910>