Happy Easter!

Page 2 of 8<12345>Last »
April 3rd, 2021 at 8:18:44 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
I’ll be spending my Easter just as Jesus intended: gambling in Las Vegas.

My wife has declared today Easter Day, meaning her dad and step mom are coming over for dinner. I will celebrate Easter tomorrow by playing golf.
April 3rd, 2021 at 8:55:31 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Mission146
Nice to see you; Happy Easter to you, as well!

Easter is the only holiday I know of that actually celebrates somebody dying a grueling death. Yet if you say Christianity is a death worshiping religion, they will scream in your face that it's not. Name another religion that has a dying man depicted for all to see that greets you when you go through the church's doors. I don't care what anybody says, it's creepy deluxe.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 3rd, 2021 at 11:57:13 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Easter is the only holiday I know of that actually celebrates somebody dying a grueling death. Yet if you say Christianity is a death worshiping religion, they will scream in your face that it's not. Name another religion that has a dying man depicted for all to see that greets you when you go through the church's doors. I don't care what anybody says, it's creepy deluxe.

FrGamble would handle this but this being the one day per year the church is totally closed for business he may be busy.

It is not the death that is celebrated, it is the rising from the dead. Good Friday is the saddest day on the Catholic calendar. That is when the death happened. When I was a kid you were not supposed to watch TV or have the radio on during those 3 hours. I will let FrG chime in if that is still a thing or not.
The President is a fink.
April 3rd, 2021 at 2:15:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: AZDuffman
It is not the death that is celebrated, it is the rising from the dead.

Yet when you go into a Catholic Church, there he is ten feet tall in the front of the church hanging on the cross, dying. The symbol of the religion in every sect is the cross. The method of death is what they want you to see. Protestants wear a plain cross, Catholics wear a cross with Jesus actually hanging on it in agony. To people raised in the religion this is a ho hun everyday event. To those of us on the outside it's macabre and grotesque and doesn't appear  that  the church is just celebrating a resurrection, it looks like they're celebrating the death. If Jesus died in 1930 in the electric chair, it would be beyond bizarre if people wore little electric chairs around their neck with Jesus strapped in. You would be looked at as an eccentric weirdo. Yet having him dying in agony on a cross around your neck is just fine. No, it's bizarre and weird.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 3rd, 2021 at 3:02:59 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Yet when you go into a Catholic Church, there he is ten feet tall in the front of the church hanging on the cross, dying. The symbol of the religion in every sect is the cross. The method of death is what they want you to see. Protestants wear a plain cross, Catholics wear a cross with Jesus actually hanging on it in agony. To people raised in the religion this is a ho hun everyday event. To those of us on the outside it's macabre and grotesque and doesn't appear  that  the church is just celebrating a resurrection, it looks like they're celebrating the death. If Jesus died in 1930 in the electric chair, it would be beyond bizarre if people wore little electric chairs around their neck with Jesus strapped in. You would be looked at as an eccentric weirdo. Yet having him dying in agony on a cross around your neck is just fine. No, it's bizarre and weird.

To each his own.
The President is a fink.
April 3rd, 2021 at 3:57:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: AZDuffman
To each his own.

It's an archaic leftover symbol of a time when nobody was educated and everybody was ignorant as dirt. The crucifix says in a very blunt way this is me this is what I believe. It's advertising. Just like 400 years ago if you were a barber you put a barber pole in front of your shop. Or three balls was the symbol of a pawnbroker. Every business had a symbol because most people could not read. The crucifix was the symbol of the Catholic Church. It has outlived its usefulness and is now just bizarre.
April 3rd, 2021 at 4:03:11 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I think an empty cross is scary, anyone could be on it. One with Jesus on it reminds me of God's love taking my place on the cross. It also reminds me that death never has the last word and it is not something to be scared of, love wins. Alleluia, He is Risen!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 3rd, 2021 at 4:47:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
I think an empty cross is scary, anyone could be on it. One with Jesus on it reminds me of God's love!

Only because you've been taught that. Believe me, if you were not taught anything about a crucifix you would never in a hundred years think it had anything to do with love. To me it represents barbaric cruelty on a scale we cannot comprehend. The Romans crucified over 100,000 people. Some were criminals, many were runaway slaves. Some were unfortunate like Jesus who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Crucifying someone is not something we should be glorifying in any way shape or form. Just like we don't glorify lynching someone, or death by firing squad. Depicting someone in the absolute worst moment of their lives is no way to remember them.
April 3rd, 2021 at 5:33:10 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I love how FrG doesn’t take the bait and just completely ignores EB.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 3rd, 2021 at 7:02:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: ams288
I love how FrG doesn’t take the bait and just completely ignores EB.

It's the day before Easter Sunday, he has lots of other things to do than come here. Easter is the most important holiday they have for their religion.
Page 2 of 8<12345>Last »