Happy Easter!

Page 3 of 8<123456>Last »
April 3rd, 2021 at 7:45:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
If Jesus died in 1930 in the electric chair, it would be beyond bizarre if people wore little electric chairs around their neck with Jesus strapped in. You would be looked at as an eccentric weirdo. Yet having him dying in agony on a cross around your neck is just fine. No, it's bizarre and weird.

I agree, it's an apt comparison.

And imagine if they had hung him? They'd have him dangling in a noose with a broken neck at the front of the Church.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 3rd, 2021 at 7:45:23 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Easter is the only holiday I know of that actually celebrates somebody dying a grueling death. Yet if you say Christianity is a death worshiping religion, they will scream in your face that it's not. Name another religion that has a dying man depicted for all to see that greets you when you go through the church's doors. I don't care what anybody says, it's creepy deluxe.

That happened on "Good Friday." I never did understand why they use the adjective "good," but that's a discussion for another day. Easter celebrates the resurrection.

If you don't like the crucifix, then consider being a protestant. Modern Catholic churches seem to be getting away from the crucifix anyway. My mother-in-law's parish doesn't have any that I can easily see.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 3rd, 2021 at 7:47:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Good thing they didn't draw and quarter him.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 3rd, 2021 at 7:52:42 PM permalink
rxwine
I thought Jesus descended into Hell for 3 days on "Good Friday". But I admit, I'm getting pretty rusty on my Bible knowledge.
April 3rd, 2021 at 8:52:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
Easter celebrates the resurrection. .

It's a package deal, you can't have one without the other. Every movie or TV show about Easter always starts with the crucifixion. Far more time is always spent on the crucifixion then on the resurrection. Catholics don't have a depiction of a cave with the boulder in front of it rolled away when you go into to a Catholic Church. Jesus hanging on his cross is the major symbol of the religion. Jesus dying for your sins (whatever that means) is the main message the church wants to constantly throw into your face, not the resurrection.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 4th, 2021 at 3:58:59 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
That happened on "Good Friday." I never did understand why they use the adjective "good," but that's a discussion for another day. Easter celebrates the resurrection.

If you don't like the crucifix, then consider being a protestant. Modern Catholic churches seem to be getting away from the crucifix anyway. My mother-in-law's parish doesn't have any that I can easily see.

You are not the first to ask. We asked in Catholic school. I forget the answer.

Meanwhile Happy Easter to all.
The President is a fink.
April 4th, 2021 at 8:27:18 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2

There seems to be some uncertainty about the origin of “Good Friday “ but the prevailing opinion from the experts is that it comes from a time when good meant holy.

Quote:
The third and final theory, the one supported by both the Oxford English Dictionary and every language expert I contacted, is that the name comes from an antiquated meaning of good. “The answer seems pretty clearly to be that it’s from good ‘holy,’ ” responded Jesse Sheidlower, the president of the American Dialect Society, when I put this question to him. Liberman agreed, noting that if you consider the other names for Good Friday—“Sacred Friday” in the Romance languages (Viernes Santo, e.g.), “Passion Friday” in Russian—“the OED’s explanation makes excellent sense.” The OED also notes that there was once Good Wednesday, the Wednesday before Easter, which these days is more commonly known as Holy Wednesday.

https://slate.com/culture/2017/04/why-is-good-friday-called-good-friday-the-etymology-and-origins-of-the-holidays-name.html
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
April 4th, 2021 at 4:25:17 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Jesus dying for your sins (whatever that means) is the main message the church wants to constantly throw into your face, not the resurrection.

It's a guilt-based religion.
April 4th, 2021 at 4:26:26 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: JimRockford
There seems to be some uncertainty about the origin of “Good Friday “ but the prevailing opinion from the experts is that it comes from a time when good meant holy.

Interesting, thanks. I did not know that.
April 4th, 2021 at 4:32:14 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
It's a guilt-based religion.

I can see why people say that. It's similar to how people think when someone does something nice for you they always seem to think they want or need something. Like there is some ulterior motive for their kindness, they want you to feel guilty so you will give them something or be kind to them, etc. I don't think that is the case in Christianity, what can we ever do for the perfect and all-mighty God? But nevertheless sometimes the faith is presented in a way just to make you feel guilty that Jesus did all this for you so you should love Him. It's interesting that Jesus never seems to say this. He is just more interested in blessing us and loving us unconsitionally, even His enemies.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
Page 3 of 8<123456>Last »