Hydrogen Powered Cars available in California

Page 2 of 8<12345>Last »
April 8th, 2021 at 4:29:49 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
I cannot wait to hear the cries when more power plants have to be built to generate all the electricity for recharging. You know they will protest left and right, it is what they do.

A "mild hybrid" automobile costs $2K to $4K more than the regular internal combustion engine, does not involve plugging into the grid, and results in fantastic gasoline mileage. The widespread adoption of "mild hybrids" would probably clear up pollution considerably without the need for a massive increase in power generation.

2021 Toyota Corolla Hybrid 52 MPG
2021 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE 52 MPG
2021 Toyota Prius 52 MPG
2021 Toyota Avalon Hybrid 43 MPG
2021 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid AWD 40 MPG
2021 Toyota Venza AWD 39 MPG
2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 36 MPG
2021 Toyota Sienna Hybrid 2WD 36 MPG

Sales first 90 days in 2021
7,051 Prius hybrid plus 6,999 plug ins
7,301 Corolla hybrids
10,264 Camry hybrids
2,088 Avalon hybrids
29,471 RAV4 hybrids plus 2,792 plug ins
13,623 Venza hybrids
18,816 Highlander hybrids
26,044 Sienna hybrids
April 8th, 2021 at 5:34:16 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
EVs are a sort of religion. Tesla is an outright cult. I have even had supporters online insist that the power comes "from the outlet" and did not grasp it had to be generated. Democrat pols must own some kind of stock in them for all they push them. At the same time CA has blackouts due to power shortages they push them even harder. I cannot wait to hear the cries when more power plants have to be built to generate all the electricity for recharging. You know they will protest left and right, it is what they do.

This is a great post. But for every power plant that needs to be built there will be XXX,XXX individual power plants (gas cars) no longer in the streets. Big power plants are way more efficient of course than my Hyundai Sonata. So IF enough power plants are built to meet demand, it is a win for ‘greenies’. However, just imagine a ‘greenie’ coming to a town board saying they need to build a power plant in your neighborhood as part of the Green New Deal! I kinda sorta wanna buy an electric car for my next vehicle, but am being outvoted by wife and her daughters. Yes.... that’s a long story!
April 8th, 2021 at 7:09:57 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Pacomartin
They advertise 5 minutes. I don't really time it, but I think you can usually fill a gasoline tank in slightly less than 5 minutes.

Right now it is very expensive to refuel. I think $75-$125 depending on the tank. Toyota's decision to offer $15K of free fuel as well as to drop the price from $60K to $50K and include 21 days of rental resulted in a 500% increase in sales.

It is a resonable assumption that Toyota made more money in the first 90 days of 2021 selling it's gasoline pigs than it did on the Mirai.

Pig sales were 2037 Sequoias (a full-size SUV derived from its Tundra pickup truck) and 1896 Land Cruisers (Toyota's longest running series of models and the second longest-running SUV in production behind the Chevrolet Suburban. Production of the first generation of the Land Cruiser began in 1951) .
Mirai sales were 859 units (up from 147 units for 1QTR 2020).

But Toyota does not sell a battery powered electric vehicle in North America. Plug in sales were just under 10K units in the first 90 days (out of 529K units sold). Mild hybrid sales were 115K which is by far the most of any automobile manufacturer,

I think they need the Mirai, not just for future development, but to satisfy the requirements of the California Air Resources Board

Toyota has plug-in hybrids. They have an electric motor on each axle and run off the battery 100% of the time. They also have a gas motor that kicks in and keeps the battery charged if your trip is to long or you haven't had a chance to plug-in. I would think this would satisfy the California requirements. I would consider a model like this in the Canadian boonies where I live. 4 wheel drive and no range problems.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 8th, 2021 at 8:19:39 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: kenarman
Toyota has plug-in hybrids.

They have two models of plug-ins, but they don't sell very many.

Last quarter 25.8% of the Rav4 were "mild hybrids" and 2.4% of the RAV4 were plug-in hybrids. The plug in model is $10k more expensive than the mild hybrid.

The Prius's sold were 7051 "mild hybrids" and 6999 "plug-in hybrids" while there were 7301 "mild hybrid" Corollas sold. The "mild hybrid" Prius has about twice as much cargo space without folding the seats down as the Corolla, but it costs about $1K more.

On the other hand Toyota is the clear leader in "mild hybrid" sales with 8 models (4 cars & 4 SUVs or crossovers). Nearly 20% of car sales are hybrids while 34% of suvs and crossovers are hybrids. The pickup trucks are not available as hybrids.

Toyota is talking about introducing a pure electric vehicle other than the Mirai soon.
April 8th, 2021 at 8:32:45 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
This is a great post. But for every power plant that needs to be built there will be XXX,XXX individual power plants (gas cars) no longer in the streets. Big power plants are way more efficient of course than my Hyundai Sonata. So IF enough power plants are built to meet demand, it is a win for ‘greenies’. However, just imagine a ‘greenie’ coming to a town board saying they need to build a power plant in your neighborhood as part of the Green New Deal! I kinda sorta wanna buy an electric car for my next vehicle, but am being outvoted by wife and her daughters. Yes.... that’s a long story!

And that is the thing. Greenies love EVs but hate power plants. Maybe the greenies in Suffolk county will let a power plant near Albion?
The President is a fink.
April 8th, 2021 at 2:21:06 PM permalink
Pacomartin
And that is the thing. Greenies love EVs but hate power plants.

I am skeptical if this whole EV thing will ever become that big. Toyota started selling the Prius in the year 2000. For the first quarter 2021
21.9% "mild hybrid" vehicles
1.9% "plug-in hybrid" vehicles
0.2% hydrogen fuel cell vehicles
0.0% battery powered pure electric vehicles entirely run from power from the grid

So in two decades Toyota has had almost zero impact on the electricity grid. They are hoping to get hybrid sales up to 40% in four years, but the vast majority will be "mild hybrids".

Toyota alternative fuel models
April 8th, 2021 at 2:51:52 PM permalink
AZDuffman
I am skeptical if this whole EV thing will ever become that big. Toyota started selling the Prius in the year 2000. For the first quarter 2021
21.9% "mild hybrid" vehicles
1.9% "plug-in hybrid" vehicles
0.2% hydrogen fuel cell vehicles
0.0% battery powered pure electric vehicles entirely run from power from the grid

So in two decades Toyota has had almost zero impact on the electricity grid. They are hoping to get hybrid sales up to 40% in four years, but the vast majority will be "mild hybrids".

Toyota alternative fuel models

Except hybrids do not draw from the grid. Some plug in, they are the very minority of the market.
The President is a fink.
April 8th, 2021 at 3:41:40 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Speaking of hybrids the Prius has been in the top list of most reliable cars year after year.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 8th, 2021 at 4:24:09 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: rxwine
Speaking of hybrids the Prius has been in the top list of most reliable cars year after year.

It may be reliable, but this article says that the Prius is one of the least attractive vehicles ever made. The argument is now that the Corolla has a hybrid option with virtually the same performance as the Prius for $1K less, the Prius is obsolete and should be completely made over or retired.

One difference is that the Prius with the seats up has about double the cargo space as the Corolla with the seats up.

BY JARED ROSENHOLTZ
https://carbuzz.com/features/why-the-toyota-corolla-hybrid-is-better-than-a-prius
You can have style and fuel economy in the same vehicle.

Last year, Toyota introduced a hybrid version of the Corolla Hybrid. While we've had a few brief opportunities to drive it at events, CarBuzz finally had a chance to test the 2021 Toyota Corolla Hybrid for an entire week. So, why were we so excited to drive a Corolla? Well, upon first inspection, the Corolla Hybrid may not seem much different than any other model. But if you dive a bit deeper, you may start to see why this car is so vital for Toyota.

Following a peak sales year in 2012, when the Prius family sold 236,655 units, sales have steadily declined, reaching fewer than 70,000 sales in 2019. So what happened? Gasoline prices play a factor, as does consumer preference towards crossovers. We think Toyota itself may deserve part of the blame here. The company's other hybrid products like the Camry and RAV4 Hybrid are so fantastic that no one wants a Prius anymore. In fact, we think the latest Corolla Hybrid is such an essential addition to the Toyota lineup; it now renders the Prius completely unnecessary.

Candy Wrapper Styling
The Toyota Prius is the automotive equivalent of broccoli; good for you, but it looks weird and tastes terrible. With the Corolla Hybrid, Toyota took broccoli and disguised it in a candy wrapper. The Corolla may not turn any heads in traffic, but it's far from an unattractive vehicle. We enjoy the styling of the latest generation Corolla, especially with its aggressive front fascia and dynamic headlight shape. The 15-inch steel wheels look pretty basic, but we know Toyota included them to save cost and weight.

Prius Efficiency
Under the hood of the Corolla Hybrid sits a 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine paired with two electric motors connected to a 1.3 kWh battery, driving the front wheels. If this setup sounds familiar, that's because the Prius uses the exact same combination. Like the Prius, the output numbers are less than stellar, with 121 horsepower and 105 lb-ft of torque. The Corolla Hybrid was not built to hit 60 mph in under 10 seconds; it was built to achieve outstanding fuel economy.

In EPA tests, the Corolla Hybrid achieved 53/52/52 mpg city/highway/combined, which is just off the pace of the most efficient Prius trim level. During a week of driving, we bested these estimated by averaging 55.5 mpg. We even observed over 60 mpg when hypermiling the car on the highway.

It Doesn't Suck To Drive
Anyone who has ever driven a Prius knows there is nothing sporty about it. The steering is dumb, the body control is atrocious, and there is not enough power. Although the Corolla Hybrid doesn't improve on the performance, it does fix some of the other issues. It drives, perhaps not surprisingly, like a Corolla. It might not light your hair ablaze through the corners, but it handles as competently as you'd expect of a compact sedan. The steering offers some decent feedback, and the body lean is far less pronounced than in the Prius. You still get skinny eco tires with less grip than an old piece of tape, but we had a fun time driving the Corolla Hybrid.

A Normal Interior
The Prius doesn't just look strange on the outside, the interior is funky as well. We've always disliked the strange dash design in the Prius, which places items like the speedometer in the middle of the car rather than in front of the driver. Higher trim models, including the plug-in Prius Prime, are even worse, thanks to a massive touchscreen that eliminates the volume and tuning knobs. We appreciate that the Corolla Hybrid comes with a normal cabin that looks like any run-of-the-mill modern Toyota.

Spacious Enough
In terms of rear space and cargo capacity, the Corolla Hybrid impressively does not lose out compared to its standard counterparts. The rear seats offer 34.8 inches of legroom, and the trunk opens up to 13.1 cubic feet with the ability to fold the rear seats. In the Prius, you only get 33.4 inches of legroom, making the Corolla Hybrid the better ride-share vehicle.

Admittedly, the Prius has more trunk space thanks to its hatchback design, with 24.6 cubic feet behind the second row and 50.7 cubic feet with the seats folded. If you need more space than the Corolla provides, Toyota offers hybrid versions of the larger Camry and Avalon sedans, plus the RAV4 and Highlander SUVs.

Sets The Prius Free
With the Corolla Hybrid (and Toyota's other hybrid models) taking over as the efficient options for mainstream buyers, it allows the Prius to fade away after 20 years of iconic status. Toyota could retire the Prius name altogether, or it could give it the Mirai treatment. The Mirai was once even uglier than the Prius, but the next-generation model goes in a completely different direction with a new rear-wheel-drive platform borrowed from Lexus.

We'd love to see Toyota give the Prius the same styling overhaul, but with a hybrid or electric drivetrain instead of the Mirai's hydrogen fuel cell. If Toyota listens to this suggestion, the Prius could go from one of the least attractive vehicles ever made, to an absolute stunner.

But the biggest difference is that Toyota's only models with a plug-in option (branded as Prime) are the Prius and the RAV4.
Perhaps Toyota should discontinue the mild hybrid Prius and only sell the plug-in (Prime) variant. The Prius Prime MSRP starts from $28,220 while the RAV4 Prime starts from $38,250. The Prius Prime is 49.8% of all Prius models sold, while the Rav4 Prime is 2.4% of all RAV4 models sold, so the extra $10K makes a big difference. Obviously the Prius Prime is meant to save you more money on fuel than a regular Prius hybrid, while the RAV4 Prime is meant to add performance.

0-60 MPH seconds
11.0 Prius Prime Hatchback
7.6 - 7.8 the RAV4 with Internal Combustion Engine
5.7 the RAV4 Prime (plug-in) : the quickest acceleration time for a four-door Toyota model.

In the first 90 days of 2021 Toyota sold
7,301 mild-Hybrid Corollas
7,051 mild-Hybrid Prius
So while the hybrid Corolla has for the first time outsold the non-plug in Prius I am sure Toyota will keep it around for at least 2 more years.
April 8th, 2021 at 4:50:29 PM permalink
AZDuffman
It may be reliable, but this article says that the Prius is one of the least attractive vehicles ever made. The argument is now that the Corolla has a hybrid option with virtually the same performance as the Prius for $1K less, the Prius is obsolete and should be completely made over or retired.

The Prius has the "look at me" factor. Really if they wanted to save gas they would make their pickups mild hybrids, would save more.
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 8<12345>Last »