Hydrogen Powered Cars available in California

Page 3 of 8<123456>Last »
April 8th, 2021 at 5:14:13 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
Really if they wanted to save gas they would make their pickups mild hybrids, would save more.

Toyota had a concept hybrid truck 13 years ago. There is a rumor that they intend to come out with a hybrid Tacoma (the smaller of their two pick up trucks) next year.

The Prius has the "look at me" factor.

I have thought about that. People who have done research may know that the Corolla comes in a hybrid model since 2019. But if you want to impress your neighbor about how eco-conscious you are almost everyone knows what a Prius is since they have been sold since the year 2000. With a hybrid Corolla your neighbor may just think you can only afford an inexpensive automobile.

Toyota is gambling that the high mpg of the Sienna and Venza SUV hybrids (which do not have a pure ICE option) are going to propel them for the next few years. The Sienna is off to a particularly good start.

First 90 days of 2021 SUV sales
26,044 SIENNA HYBRID - only hybrid option sold
13,623 VENZA HYBRID - only hybrid option sold
18,816 HIGHLANDER HYBRID (45,005 with internal combusion engines only)
29,471 RAV4 HYBRID (81,991 with internal combusion engines only)
2,792 RAV4 PRIME plug-in hybrid

The C-HR is too small and cheap to rate a hybrid option, and the 4 Runner is to heavy and big.

Toyota crossover, hybrid and Sienna sales are 155.7% of Toyota car sales
Toyota hybrid crossover, hybrid and Sienna sales are 264.1% of Toyota hybrid car sales
April 9th, 2021 at 2:27:20 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
Toyota had a concept hybrid truck 13 years ago. There is a rumor that they intend to come out with a hybrid Tacoma (the smaller of their two pick up trucks) next year.

I saw them do the math on Autoline. Simple percents going from 13-18 is far better than 30-40 or so. But you also have to consider pickup owners generally put more miles on than a sedan owner. That adds in, too. But it does not sound as sexy. Hybrid owners are pretty math challenged so might as well let them be.

Quote:
I have thought about that. People who have done research may know that the Corolla comes in a hybrid model since 2019. But if you want to impress your neighbor about how eco-conscious you are almost everyone knows what a Prius is since they have been sold since the year 2000. With a hybrid

Most hybrid math still is not adding up. I will probably buy a Tuscon about 2025. Might well buy new as it will be one of my last 2-3 cars in life and last before true senior status so might reward myself. They have a hybrid, I did the early math and it does not save money! Now, deals happen all over. Might be in a depression by then with all kinds of deals. As of now, though, makes no sense.
The President is a fink.
April 9th, 2021 at 10:39:16 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Most hybrid math still is not adding up.

Toyota Sales figures seem to indicate that most people agree with you. For the five vehicles offering hybrid engines as an option, the majority of units are sold without the hybrid option
89.9% Corolla
86.9% Camry
71.8% RAV4
70.5% Highlander
59.3% Avalon

Camry and Corolla together sell more units that all of Honda Passengers Cars of any models (Honda is #2 behind Toyota #1 in the US). Of course most people don't buy passenger cars favoring trucks or SUVs.

The following Toyota Models are only sold with hybrid engines (or hydrogen fuel cells for the Mirai)
Mirai
Prius
Venza
Sienna
April 9th, 2021 at 10:51:39 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Pacomartin
Toyota Sales figures seem to indicate that most people agree with you. For the five vehicles offering hybrid engines as an option, the majority of units are sold without the hybrid option
89.9% Corolla
86.9% Camry
71.8% RAV4
70.5% Highlander
59.3% Avalon

Camry and Corolla together sell more units that all of Honda Passengers Cars of any models (Honda is #2 behind Toyota #1 in the US). Of course most people don't buy passenger cars favoring trucks or SUVs.

The following Toyota Models are only sold with hybrid engines (or hydrogen fuel cells for the Mirai)
Mirai
Prius
Venza
Sienna

Remember 2008/9 when Obama along with most of congress kept scolding Detroit for "not building 'green cars?'"

Of course as beggars the execs had to sit there and take it. Too bad not one was man enough to give the real answer that "green cars" are not huge sellers. Maybe 10% of buyers go goo-goo for them no matter what. The rest of use want to be able to haul, to have some beef around us so we feel secure, or want to just ride in comfort.
The President is a fink.
April 9th, 2021 at 10:57:45 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Is it possible to make an EV, Hybrid, or Hydrogen stick shift car?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 9th, 2021 at 10:59:39 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: FrGamble

No need for a stick on an EV, the motor can just adjust I believe. On a hybrid sure, probably same on hydrogen.

Demand is low, however.
The President is a fink.
April 9th, 2021 at 11:04:35 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

With computer technology, it's possible to make an airplane fly that would not be able to fly by human skill, so I'm saying yes. It's definitely possible.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 9th, 2021 at 11:15:35 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Why would you want a stick though? Do you like shifting?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 9th, 2021 at 11:36:54 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: rxwine
Why would you want a stick though? Do you like shifting?

I love manual transmissions.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 9th, 2021 at 11:50:11 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I love manual transmissions.

Can I ask why? I am curious. I see a lot of "car people" say this, I never get the appeal.

To me it's just more work... It makes driving even more of a chore than it already is.

Now, most (actually probably all) of my experience of driving manual vehicles or equipment is either for work or having to drive somebody's car for them, and it just makes me more annoyed at the situation as it is another layer of repetitive tasks that you have to perform.
Page 3 of 8<123456>Last »