Hydrogen Powered Cars available in California

Page 4 of 8<1234567>Last »
April 9th, 2021 at 12:08:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: FrGamble
I love manual transmissions.

Are you driving your congregation kids on a big yellow school bus like old times?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 9th, 2021 at 2:20:04 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Is it possible to make an EV, Hybrid, or Hydrogen stick shift car?

The Honda Insight was officially the first hybrid car to come to the U.S. market as it officially beat the Toyota Prius by less than a year. It’s wind-cheating, ultra-efficient aerodynamics and diminutive size were the highlights at the time, not to mention its fuel-sipping hybrid powertrain that achieved up to 61 mpg. But what was most intriguing was the fact that the Insight it actually came standard with a five-speed manual transmission when it debuted.

So we know it is possible, but AFAIK there is no such hybrid today, nor do they intend to build one. Toyota's Supra, it's $50,000 sports car with turbocharged inline-six making 382 horsepower, only comes with automatic transmission, so it appears that automakers are not catering to the manual transmission afficiandos anymore.

I forgot to add that the Toyota RAV4 is All Wheel Drive which usually costs additional for BMW and Mercedes.
April 9th, 2021 at 2:33:55 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
The Honda Insight was officially the first hybrid car to come to the U.S. market as it officially beat the Toyota Prius by less than a year. It’s wind-cheating, ultra-efficient aerodynamics and diminutive size were the highlights at the time, not to mention its fuel-sipping hybrid powertrain that achieved up to 61 mpg. But what was most intriguing was the fact that the Insight it actually came standard with a five-speed manual transmission when it debuted.

So we know it is possible, but AFAIK there is no such hybrid today, nor do they intend to build one. Toyota's Supra, it's $50,000 sports car with turbocharged inline-six making 382 horsepower, only comes with automatic transmission, so it appears that automakers are not catering to the manual transmission afficiandos anymore.

I forgot to add that the Toyota RAV4 is All Wheel Drive which usually costs additional for BMW and Mercedes.

Back in the 1980s so many Japanese cars had manuals. Watch the retro-reviews on Motorweek YT. I think both Japan and Europe wondered why we preferred automatics. I am not much on manuals. I get the sporty feel but prefer old man cruising to shifting.
The President is a fink.
April 9th, 2021 at 2:48:53 PM permalink
rxwine
FrGamble, get some of that Pope money, and order yourself a Porsche 911 with 7 gears, manual. Lots of people will probably envy all the shifting you're doing. And you can get to church faster.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 9th, 2021 at 4:46:41 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Gandler
Can I ask why? I am curious. I see a lot of "car people" say this, I never get the appeal.

To me it's just more work... It makes driving even more of a chore than it already is.

Now, most (actually probably all) of my experience of driving manual vehicles or equipment is either for work or having to drive somebody's car for them, and it just makes me more annoyed at the situation as it is another layer of repetitive tasks that you have to perform.

For me I think it helps me feel like I am really driving and more in control than just riding in an automatic. It also helps me to pay better attention and be a better driver and challenges me to be the best driver I can be.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 9th, 2021 at 6:23:03 PM permalink
rxwine
Normally, when I talk to someone and they say nothing, I just move on. But when FrGamble does it, I just realized it reminds me of God.

That's a joke.

Yet true.
April 9th, 2021 at 8:43:42 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: PLANO, Texas (February 10, 2021) – Toyota Motor North America
(TMNA) announced plans to debut in the U.S. market this year, three new electrified models – two BEVs and a PHEV. By 2025, Toyota’s goal is to have 40% of new vehicle sales be electrified models, and by 2030 expects that to increase to nearly 70%.

1st qtr 2021 vehicle sales
20.6% mild hybrid
3.2% plug in hybrid
0.2% fuel cell vehicles

I don't know how Toyota is going to persuade that many people to buy hybrids unless gas goes up to $4 a gallon.

Quote:
For the five vehicles offering hybrid engines as an option, the majority of units are sold without the hybrid option
89.9% Corolla
86.9% Camry
71.8% RAV4
70.5% Highlander
59.3% Avalon

Camry and Corolla together sell more units that all of Honda Passengers Cars of any models (Honda is #2 behind Toyota #1 in the US). Of course most people don't buy passenger cars favoring trucks or SUVs.

The following Toyota Models are only sold with hybrid engines (or hydrogen fuel cells for the Mirai)
Mirai
Prius
Venza
Sienna
April 10th, 2021 at 5:19:52 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
For me I think it helps me feel like I am really driving and more in control than just riding in an automatic. It also helps me to pay better attention and be a better driver and challenges me to be the best driver I can be.

I can see that, have had people say same thing about cruise.
The President is a fink.
April 10th, 2021 at 7:20:06 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: AZDuffman
I can see that, have had people say same thing about cruise.

I feel the same way about speeding. If you actually get your speed up to the point where you have to set up for corners and pay attention to the road you are more engaged and probably driving better than plodding along at the speed limit. Unfortunately the police seldom agree with me. I am talking highways not urban driving, I never speed on city streets to many unexpected things can happen.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 10th, 2021 at 12:47:25 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
My Kenworth had 15 gears in forward and 3 in reverse, you'd have loved it. It took about 3 shifts just to get through an intersection.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
Page 4 of 8<1234567>Last »