Hydrogen Powered Cars available in California

Page 7 of 8« First<45678>
April 17th, 2021 at 9:02:14 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: DRich
Yes, the one I bought is a Honda and it does have a button to disable the feature. The problem is that every time that you start the car the feature reverts back to on so every time you drive it you have to remember to turn it off.

Yeah, Ford is the same way, there is no way to have it off by default. At least not that I have found.
April 17th, 2021 at 2:11:53 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Gandler
If its a Ford there should be a button somewhere with an "A" and circle type thing that you can press that turns this off (engine stays running).

Other brands probably have a similar button.

This is what it should look like:

First thing I do when I start my F150 is to hit that button. I hate the auto stop start. More wear on the starter. Car companies are doing whatever they can to eke out more MPH including wearing out a starter.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 17th, 2021 at 5:12:03 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: terapined
More wear on the starter. Car companies are doing whatever they can to eke out more MPH including wearing out a starter.
Back in the day there was no question but what you didn't want the wear and tear on the starter, nor the wear-down of the battery, by switching off the engine while stopped ... even if waiting for many minutes.

Today, though, it's different. It's just much easier to start a vehicle these days, while until maybe late 90s [?] you worried a lot, probably with bills to point to where you had to get the starter replaced. You just didn't want that.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 17th, 2021 at 6:02:08 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: odiousgambit
Back in the day there was no question but what you didn't want the wear and tear on the starter, nor the wear-down of the battery, by switching off the engine while stopped ... even if waiting for many minutes.

Today, though, it's different. It's just much easier to start a vehicle these days, while until maybe late 90s [?] you worried a lot, probably with bills to point to where you had to get the starter replaced. You just didn't want that.

Now that I think about it, (and this could be in 'remember when') it was pretty common to hear the starter run for several seconds before the engine turned over. You can still hear it that way in old movies when cars are started.

It's only a tiny fraction of that on new cars.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 17th, 2021 at 7:23:55 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined
First thing I do when I start my F150 is to hit that button. I hate the auto stop start. More wear on the starter. Car companies are doing whatever they can to eke out more MPH including wearing out a starter.

Perhaps in your lifetime you won't be able to drive in LA county without this feature on.
April 17th, 2021 at 7:32:51 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
Perhaps in your lifetime you won't be able to drive in LA county without this feature on.

Hmm
Never been in LA in the summer but I understand its real hot
AC dont work well at a stop light with the engine shut off
Ive driven all over the country and LA is the absolute worst.
Way way too many cars
I even tried to avoid the highway
Google maps had me taking these neighborhood canyon roads that were twisting and turning with no extra room.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 17th, 2021 at 11:35:30 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Mercedez just unveiled it's first all - electric automobile. Price is not set but has been estimated at over $100K.

Tesla has stopped production of it's more expensive models (over $60K) in order to rework the design for later this year to meet this new challenge.
April 18th, 2021 at 3:27:44 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I think that had to do with the carburetor having to do its thing more than anything else. I have read that start/stop uses a much better starter than would otherwise be used, but when is the last time you heard of one needing replaced?
The President is a fink.
April 18th, 2021 at 6:21:32 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Who didn't have episodes of having a car that wouldn't start back then? Even if it started, maybe you'd go through a stretch where it was to experience a lot of grinding, trying 2-3 times, that sort of thing.

Lots of movie scenes then where the car wouldn't start or threatened not to start right in the middle of an emergency.

I remember a buddy sitting behind the wheel of a car that had just barely started and saying one of the things he would do if he was rich was automatically replace the battery and starter every year whether it needed it or not!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 18th, 2021 at 6:19:41 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
It turns out that start/stop starters are specially designed for being used a lot so they don't fail.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 7 of 8« First<45678>